+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slow down class changes after launch!

Default Slow down class changes after launch!

At the moment I have noticed a lot of significant class changes across the board. I think it is important to get things balanced. I also think the game is very well balanced at the moment, not perfectly, but pretty good.

With that in mind, I am hoping Trion slows down the changes after launch. Not necessarily right away, but after a month or so I'd like things to settle down. One of my biggest complaints with WoW, is that I would have to rebuild my spec and play style after each update. I'm not saying move at a glacial pace a la FFXI, but I think players should be able to lean their classes and how to do well with them. Some will be stronger than others, and some will have skills that almost no one will ever spec into, but that's OKAY! Tweak things that are out of balance, don't make sweeping changes to things that are close.

This is not a criticism of the dev team, I think they have done a wonderful job so far. It is more of a petition for what I think is important in the game post-launch.

Do people agree? Let me/us/them know!
    Mo - Ashstone - Kelari Rogue - <Ascendant>
    Anyone feel free to PM/Friend me.
    Join me with ascend-a-friend, if you play on Ashstone I'll buy you a mount and some bags:
    http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/...=ascend_invite

Soulwalker

Default A Fine Line

Consider though, this is still, technically, a closed beta.

We are playing the test version of the game, and the developers have a free hand to do whatever they want to do to test the game and its systems.

What you see now is not a very good indicator of what the dev's will be doing once the game goes live, although you can get a feel of how they will be handling things qualitatively. In beta, things are always more sudden, wild, and drastic.
    Last edited by Schlumpeter; 02-13-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Plane Touched

Personally, I don't much like telling the developers that, because the game is released, they should slow down in trying to improve it. Especially when I'm forking over a certain amount of money to them every month with the expectation that some of that is going towards improving the game.

I know where this sentiment comes from, "I think the game plays fine right now, I don't want to get nerfed, don't change anything, it's awesome." But they can't leave it alone. Class balance issues crop up post-release that weren't noticed/problematic pre-release. Even if the game was perfect, it gets old without some change thrown in. SOE didn't stop patching EverQuest after it was released. Blizzard didn't stop patching World of Warcraft after it was released. If they're responsible MMORPG developers, they don't have a choice but to address the issues as they see them.

If that means your favorite character has to get nerfed, sorry. On the upshot, hey, reseting your skill point allocations is cheap and easy.
    Last edited by geldonyetich; 02-13-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlumpeter View Post
    Consider though, this is still, technically, a closed beta.

We are playing the test version of the game, and the developers have a free hand to do whatever they want to do to test the game and its systems.

What you see now is not a very good indicator of what the dev's will be doing once the game goes live, although you can get a feel of how they will be handling things qualitatively. In beta, things are always more sudden, wild, and drastic.
    Yeah, I understand that. This wasn't really based off of the beta, it is just somewhat of a hopeful preemptive thought.

omgfont
    Last edited by Eldan; 02-13-2011 at 11:31 PM.
    Join me with ascend-a-friend, if you play on Ashstone I'll buy you a mount and some bags:

Quote Originally Posted by geldonyetich View Post
    Personally, I don't much like telling the developers that, because the game is released, they should slow down in trying to improve it. Especially when I'm forking over a certain amount of money to them every month with the expectation that some of that is going towards improving the game.

I know where this sentiment comes from, "I think the game plays fine right now, I don't want to get nerfed, don't change anything, it's awesome." But they can't leave it alone. Class balance issues crop up post-release that weren't noticed/problematic pre-release. Even if the game was perfect, it gets old without some change thrown in. SOE didn't stop patching EverQuest after it was released. Blizzard didn't stop patching World of Warcraft after it was released. If they're responsible MMORPG developers, they don't have a choice but to address the issues as they see them.

If that means your favorite character has to get nerfed, sorry. On the upshot, hey, reseting your skill point allocations is cheap and easy.
    I'm just of the opinion that many games, wow in particular, suffer from things changing too suddenly. It seems to be like they are trying to create a sculpture using only a hammer. I'm just suggesting that Trion starts to use a chisel after the game is launched.

I agree that issues will pop up much later that weren't discovered early on. FFXI's dev team almost never addressed those. They just left everything as is and let the players work around that. I certainly don't believe that is the correct answer either.

I don't care exclusively about being nerfed, I just don't want to have to respec each and every patch. I think development should attempt to change as little as possible while addressing the issue thoroughly.

In Isaac Asimov's The End of Eternity the protagonist is more or less a time traveler who's job is to make changes in the past so that the future becomes better. An early example used to show his proficiency at his job is that when the initial assignment called for him to crash an airplane, killing those on it, he accomplished the same result by simply moving a jar.

I think that sort of minimalistic attitude does have it's place in the development of games.

As for the game getting boring... I'm not entirely sure what to say. If consistently changing the core of classes is that necessary to keep the game interesting I'm certainly not interested in the game. There are a ton of other changes that can be implemented before that, like the Ancient Wardstones. I sincerely doubt that is the reason ANY game studio makes changes to classes (the obvious exception being during expansions).

How about those metaphors?

+ Reply to Thread