+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabalist Class

Default Cabalist Class

hey everyone,

I know we dont know much about the class, but hopefully it will be something similar to the "Mentalist" from dark ages of camelot (daoc)

I really loved the class that had good dps, great utility, and decent heals, and was a caster =p
    Last edited by Arlais; 11-27-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Mentalists were a great class indeed, pretty unique at the time with all of their potential utility. I leveled up a mana Mentalist and had a blast with the character. HoTs PoTs and DoTs!

With 8 souls per archetype in Rift, it looks like we will see unique callings. I'm looking forward to trying out lots of builds.
    DAoC Nimue & Percival 2001-2004- those were the days.

There's an image in my head, but I can't make it whole
    There's a picture in my mind, there's a story to be told
    ~Shadowland

Cross-posting again.

I played one of these, and explained what they did in another post.

Cabalist - I didn't get to go super far up the tree, but it felt to me like a well-loved shadow priest style class. I initially got a Sigil, which is a debuff of sorts that you place on one mob at a time for whatever purpose it served.

This one in particular would sit on the mob for x amount of seconds then disappear unless the mob was killed, or a certain amount of damage done by yours truly was met. Once killed or that damage minimum was met, it would do an AOE 'blast' that would hit any other enemies in the area. When I got higher, this was much more useful for defeating water rifts. Simply put, if I did this a few times on a harder mob with others around, a couple rotations of this would kill the surrounding mobs with ease, and one nuke usually met the damage minimum.

I also had a good nuke as well. Between the two, I was very self-sufficient. It seemed like a very good soloing combo, but unless I switched my points to be heavier in the Purifier tree, my heals were not as strong.

Great to here.

Im looking for a good dps/ backup healer for solo or 2/3 man parties. Then switch to a more "pvp" party focused healer. I never played WoW so not sure on the shadow priest.

I just miss the days were one class has nukes/lifetaps/disease/nearsight/dots etc. Seems like in modern mmos everyone is one trick ponies, and only really use between 5-9 skills, rather than the 30 + we used iin daoc.

Note: I just hope they give the non trad heales some great utility or you will see alot of cookie cutter specs. For instance in daoc, the more hybrid type healers brought needed spells and skills, such as buffs or RAs. Hopefully we wont see "you have to be this class", hopefully all classes have great spells or skills needed.

Some ideas for the cabby could be the following effects: (After the condition was meant the following would happen)

- Area Effect Nearsight (which results in a 35% range reduction on spells)
    - Disease (Cuts healing by 50%)
    - AE heal proc

Mix in some nice debuffs/buffs/ HP heal drains and lifetaps it would make for a great dps/support/utility class

If a classes doesnt bring great Utility it will never find a place in a max/min party. With only 5 slots, you have to bring someting to the party that another "purebreed" doesnt.
    Last edited by Arlais; 11-28-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlais View Post
    Great to here.

Im looking for a good dps/ backup healer for solo or 2/3 man parties. Then switch to a more "pvp" party focused healer. I never played WoW so not sure on the shadow priest.

I just miss the days were one class has nukes/lifetaps/disease/nearsight/dots etc. Seems like in modern mmos everyone is one trick ponies, and only really use between 5-9 skills, rather than the 30 + we used iin daoc.

Note: I just hope they give the non trad heales some great utility or you will see alot of cookie cutter specs. For instance in daoc, the more hybrid type healers brought needed spells and skills, such as buffs or RAs. Hopefully we wont see "you have to be this class", hopefully all classes have great spells or skills needed.

Some ideas for the cabby could be the following effects: (After the condition was meant the following would happen)

- Area Effect Nearsight (which results in a 35% range reduction on spells)
    - Disease (Cuts healing by 50%)
    - AE heal proc

Mix in some nice debuffs/buffs/ HP heal drains and lifetaps it would make for a great dps/support/utility class

If a classes doesnt bring great Utility it will never find a place in a max/min party. With only 5 slots, you have to bring someting to the party that another "purebreed" doesnt.
    For 5 slots, there won't be much of a hassle with who you bring. It's going to be One tank, one Healer and any DPS you can find. I doubt people will start being all "Looking for X Class for Y Dungeon." In raid, tho, it would be another story.

But if the Cabalist can bring decent DPS, I don't see why they wouldn't be accepted in raid even if they don't bring some Unique Abilities. (And God spare us the 'Near Sight' idea you brought, that would be the lamest Debuff ever.) Personally, I could see the Cabalist doing some sort of AoE Heals and Regen while DPSing to stay with the whole idea that a cleric must heals.

Personally, I really just hope the Cabalist is very much like the Shadow Priest when it comes to Gameplay and can bring good DPS because... Well, Shadow Priest FTW? It was my favorite class in WoW so I can't help but hope... >.>

Your looking at it from a pve pov, im looking at it from a pvp pov. The nearsight added alot in pvp, it really helped close the game on extension parties.

Why does a class have to be the same as the other class? I mean a healer thats heals with dmg, blah sooo boring. Why not add depth into classes, rather than lower their overall dps, and add a healing effect.

If that is the case in pvp, you are better off bring 2 healers and 2 pure dps, rather than a cabby.

Note: BTW that nearsight debuff could have been speced up to 75% =p
    Last edited by Arlais; 11-29-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Your looking at it from a pve pov, im looking at it from a pvp pov. The nearsight added alot in pvp, it really helped close the game on extension parties.

Why does a class have to be the same as the other class? I mean a healer thats heals with dmg, blah sooo boring. Why not add depth into classes, rather than lower their overall dps, and add a healing effect.

If that is the case in pvp, you are better off bring 2 healers and 2 pure dps, rather than a cabby.

~what happened to the games with alot of spells and skill?

Positional snars, stuns,
    castable pbaoe, snares, disease, nearsight,

Seems people just want dps, heals or tanks and nothing in between. What happened to the great utility support classes that had depth?

Heh range debuffs tend to be very subtle in their effects it's hard to tell just how devastating they are sometimes. For instance 35% brings the standard 25m range for most casters down to almost 15m... the range for the charge abilities we've seen.

So yea, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it if we see something like it.

yea alot of the games I played has range up to 2100m, most castable spells were on a 1500m range.

You felt like a caster, when you killed melee before they got to you. I hate how nowadays combat is so upclose, and players have to have insta spells, and kite rather than tatical casting parties.

+ Reply to Thread