+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Does first soul chosen matter?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default Does first soul chosen matter?

    Within a calling, you can pick 3 souls to have active at any given time. I think i read somewhere that the first one you are stuck with, but the other two can be changed as you learn all 8 souls within your calling.

    First, are you stuck with whichever you chose first? Are the others fluid and changeable as they are "unlocked" ?

    Second, is there any significance beyond that? IE: A certain number of points will need to be allocated in your soul tree, or certain abilities are only available, etc.

    If the first is true, but the latter is false, to me this lends itself to a reversed character process. Ultimately, your first soul is not necessarily the one that defines your character, but rather the one that best supports any of the other roles you choose. I might choose a role for my primary role simply because talents in the first two tiers are the ones I consider most versatile regardless of what build I put together. This seems counter-intuitive, since you would think whatever your first role would be would be the one you'd want the most invested into.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Telaran rebeldemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    86

    Default

    No your not stuck with one soul that cannot be changed, you can at anytime switch them all out if you have 0 points in them.

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Every soul is changeable

  4. #4
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    220

    Default

    The way things are currently balanced as of the last beta, once you get to level 15, your initial three souls don't particularly matter. You'll be able to gain the rest of them in a single afternoon.

    You can freely reallocate points investment at any trainer, souls without any points in them can be swapped to another soul, and you can even purchase role slots to freely switch between point configurations between battle.

    However, I'd say it still matters what the first three souls you choose will be simply because you will be stuck with those three for the first 15 levels and you're going to want to have reasonably good survival/DPS.
    Last edited by geldonyetich; 02-13-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Fluffycalico points out 15 is the magic number, not 20.

  5. #5
    Shield of Telara Fluffycalico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geldonyetich View Post
    The way things are currently balanced as of the last beta, once you get to level 20,
    The quests for the last 6 souls are level 15 excluding the pvp one.

  6. #6
    Shadowlander shinju45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    48

    Default

    No, you are not stuck with your first soul, once you get all of the souls for your calling, you can put the souls in any order you desire. This means you can also put as many points as high your level is. Meaning if you are level 10 you can only put a max of 10 points into anyone soul.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thank you, that's helpful.

    But I guess that means you would never make a dungeon Tank/Healer build as your initial soul choices.... Since you'll swap them freely after you get to 15.

    Nifty, I suppose... But I guess slightly disappointing too.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seeth View Post
    Nifty, I suppose... But I guess slightly disappointing too.
    I've been through that myself. It's like:
    • Nifty! I'm not stick playing any one role in my class.
    • Oh, but I guess that means it's not particularly important if I did make a class that way, that means I'm not all that unique, so that's not too nifty...
    • Actually, my skill as a player determines how many roles I'll set up, what they do, how effective they are at what they do, and which I prefer to play the most: I'm highly unique, after all, and that I get to have this kind of flexibility means I have my cake and eat it, too. Niftiness regained severalfold!
    Last edited by geldonyetich; 02-13-2011 at 08:24 PM.

  9. #9
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffycalico View Post
    The quests for the last 6 souls are level 15 excluding the pvp one.
    hm.. they're level 13, not level 15.

  10. #10
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seeth View Post
    Within a calling, you can pick 3 souls to have active at any given time. I think i read somewhere that the first one you are stuck with, but the other two can be changed as you learn all 8 souls within your calling.

    First, are you stuck with whichever you chose first? Are the others fluid and changeable as they are "unlocked" ?

    Second, is there any significance beyond that? IE: A certain number of points will need to be allocated in your soul tree, or certain abilities are only available, etc.

    If the first is true, but the latter is false, to me this lends itself to a reversed character process. Ultimately, your first soul is not necessarily the one that defines your character, but rather the one that best supports any of the other roles you choose. I might choose a role for my primary role simply because talents in the first two tiers are the ones I consider most versatile regardless of what build I put together. This seems counter-intuitive, since you would think whatever your first role would be would be the one you'd want the most invested into.

    Thoughts?
    One of the things I like most about Rift class design is that the way you manage souls is basically up to you. If you want to use your first soul as "the soul that best supports your next 2", AFAIK you can do exactly that (and there's no penalty). The game is literally designed so that you can deal with souls in any order. (This is a big part of what is driving would-be min/maxers nuts in other threads around here)

  11. #11
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Also remember that you will have up to 4 'Roles' that can each have 3 different souls. (as long as youve unlocked them through the quests). So you only really ever need 1 char of each calling to cover every soul...

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts