+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Relatively unqualified MMO player seeks build advice

  1. #1
    Shadowlander Izzysinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26

    Default Relatively unqualified MMO player seeks build advice

    Hey guys, Im Izzy. I have played a lot of MMO's but never on massive time scales so i have never really sunk my claws in to deep when it comes to builds.

    Usually i tend to solo PVE but love to group things. In previous games i usually take a high DPS/Tank melee character. Today however i am coming to you to help me find a change of pace. Im looking for a class that can deal a fair amount of damage and will be fun to play. Be it melee or range does not bother me but i would preferably like something that will stay strong all the way to endgame. Have been looking at rogue classes as they do look fun but was wondering if anyone else had any recommendations

  2. #2
    Ascendant Dinadass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    "Deal a fair amount of damage and be fun to play" is rather wide open. What role would you like to fill in a group? (Tank, Heal, DPS, Support) Would you like to have the option to perform two or three of them? If so, which ones? Do you want to rely on spells or on physical combat?

    <Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

  3. #3
    Shadowlander Izzysinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I suppose what i mean is i would like my class to be versatile so i can solo effectively but would still be beneficial to a team

    From what i understand we cant PVP and PVE with the same character, or do i have the wrong end of the stick?
    Still searching for the Coffee and Sandwich Rift.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander Izzysinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Also im not worried as of yet what style of character it is (melee, range, magic) still open to ideas
    Still searching for the Coffee and Sandwich Rift.

  5. #5
    Shadowlander Izzysinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I have been reading up a bit and am liking the look of chloromancer as it seems really different to anything i have used before. I also like the look of the void knight but it seems a lot of people are complaining about them
    Still searching for the Coffee and Sandwich Rift.

  6. #6
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    US Mountain time , dst ap
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Izzysinz View Post
    Hey guys, Im Izzy. I have played a lot of MMO's but never on massive time scales so i have never really sunk my claws in to deep when it comes to builds.

    Usually i tend to solo PVE but love to group things. In previous games i usually take a high DPS/Tank melee character. Today however i am coming to you to help me find a change of pace. Im looking for a class that can deal a fair amount of damage and will be fun to play. Be it melee or range does not bother me but i would preferably like something that will stay strong all the way to endgame. Have been looking at rogue classes as they do look fun but was wondering if anyone else had any recommendations
    Consider something like this
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...z0oz.EEkb0tkoz

    fair damage , much higher survivability that any mage , very group friendly .

  7. #7
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    220

    Default

    So, the OP's criteria is:
    • PvE, mostly solo, but likes to group.
    • Usually plays high DPS/Tank melee characters but wants a change of pace.
    • Should be strong in end game.
    • Rogues look fun.
    Well, the thing you need to consider about Rift is all the classes have a considerable amount of flexibility. If you want to have a character that does high DPS and a character that tanks and a character that does something different, these can be the same character with three roles.

    That said, I think it's pretty likely all four classes will be strong in end game.

    If rogues look fun to you, go for it. Though they do seem to be mostly high DPS/Tank, you can also go Bard for a heavy party support angle. For example, as shown in this video.

    Honestly, given how flexible Rift classes are, I wonder if the best way to choose a class is simply to ask yourself what do you want to wear/wield?
    • Cloth and channeling implements like staves or tomes? Mage.
    • Leather and light weapons or a bow? Rogue.
    • Chain and good-sized bludgeons and maybe a shield? Cleric.
    • Plate and heavy weapons and maybe a shield? Warrior.
    Last edited by geldonyetich; 02-13-2011 at 06:31 PM.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple magusd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Your requirements are a bit too open to give any real advice. Like any MMO that is in beta (or even release) the callings will all be changed or rebalanced over time to make them all viable at all levels.

    If you want a really survivable solo character I'd suggest one of the souls that use pets to tank for you. Necromancer, Elementalist are both Mages. The Ranger is a rogue. Those three are all ranged souls; however if you want a strong melee character try a Cleric using either the Justicar, Shaman, or Druid soul as primary and splash in one of the healing souls.
    Undecided

  9. #9
    Champion ski843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drippin View Post
    Consider something like this
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...z0oz.EEkb0tkoz

    fair damage , much higher survivability that any mage , very group friendly .
    I like that build. I may roll something close to that.
    Last edited by ski843; 02-13-2011 at 06:47 PM.

  10. #10
    Shadowlander Izzysinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26

    Default

    That cleric build is quite fascinating.
    Im still studying builds at the moment and sorry for leaving my question quite open its just that im not to sure myself.

    Im tempted to just roll a tank as usual and have been thinking about possibly going champion as it seems like an intresting twist on a usual roll,
    I would like something different though and the necrimancer looks good but i would want my second soul with a necro to be more supportive. Either buffing debuffing or healing.

    Cheers for the replys guys they are much appreciated.
    Still searching for the Coffee and Sandwich Rift.

  11. #11
    Shadowlander Izzysinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Also im very intrested in Bard builds. they seem like a very useful group character
    Still searching for the Coffee and Sandwich Rift.

  12. #12
    Shadowlander Izzysinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Has anyone got an example bard build that would still be able to solo or could reccomend a second soul to choose and a point split?
    Still searching for the Coffee and Sandwich Rift.

  13. #13
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    50

    Default

    personally, I'm going to be rolling a Rogue as my main character.

    I'd suggest going Hunter/marksman/X (where X is either assassin or Saboteur) for leveling and solo play, although if you want good survivability, the ability to decently tank, and high DPS I'd honestly suggest a Cleric of some form or another... Depending on which souls you take for Cleric, you can either Tank, Heal/Buff, Ranged DPS, or Melee DPS...

    As to bard, I've not actually played one yet, but I'm personally thinking a build like http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...VqszVz.xoxhkoz may be an interesting choice...

  14. #14
    Shadowlander Izzysinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Execrated View Post
    personally, I'm going to be rolling a Rogue as my main character.

    I'd suggest going Hunter/marksman/X (where X is either assassin or Saboteur) for leveling and solo play, although if you want good survivability, the ability to decently tank, and high DPS I'd honestly suggest a Cleric of some form or another... Depending on which souls you take for Cleric, you can either Tank, Heal/Buff, Ranged DPS, or Melee DPS...

    As to bard, I've not actually played one yet, but I'm personally thinking a build like http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...VqszVz.xoxhkoz may be an interesting choice...
    Currently im playing a warden/inquisitor cleric and it really is great fun. The healing and high damage output at the moment is too good
    Still searching for the Coffee and Sandwich Rift.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Izzysinz View Post
    Currently im playing a warden/inquisitor cleric and it really is great fun. The healing and high damage output at the moment is too good
    My criteria for choosing a calling in rift is pretty similar to yours, and as far as my findings on the subject, I think the cleric might the best way to go if you are fickle about class selection. The reason being that they can literally fill every roleyou could ever want to fill. Want to tank? Go justicar/shaman, want to heal? Purifier/warden/sentinel want to melée dps? Shaman/Druid, caster dps? Cabalist. Beyond that you have builds for aoe healing or dps specializaions, pet builds, pvp builds etc etc etc ad nauseum. Just my two cents. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Howitzerrose; 02-16-2011 at 06:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts