+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I would like Souls to get better more unique individual combat mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Slowjack View Post
    Why is this bad?

4 Callings.
    4 Mechanics.

Done and done.

Each soul having one means 32 unnecessary mechanics. 28 if you use the default four for a soul. 28 mechanics. That's too many. Further, if they add more, each one is going to have to have a mechanic to make it different from others.

Each calling has its own mechanic... that's good enough for me.

Better than 4 callings with a mana bar.
    This could be a balance mechanic as i've noticed a few classes have access to mana drains.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
    This could be a balance mechanic as i've noticed a few classes have access to mana drains.
    I didn't even think about that.

Quite true.

Although this does have me imagine double stacked hotbars full of "Drain X" spells, just to cover all the bases in a 32 mechanic system.

lol... that Razer Naga will need more buttons.
    Last edited by Slowjack; 11-27-2010 at 08:52 PM.

I am Rinleigh.
    I am Defiance.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Slowjack View Post
    I didn't even think about that.

Quite true.

Although this does have me imagine double stacked hotbars full of "Drain X" spells, just to cover all the bases in a 32 mechanic system.

lol... that Razer Naga will need more buttons.
    I just need to click faster is all I'd end up slapping all the buttons on the Naga and screwing myself over.
    Halcyon Legion: now offering candy and rainbows! Also, I love writing poetry Ask!
    "When we built these dreams on sand... How they all slipped through our hands; And this might be our only chance! Let's take this one day at a time - I'll hold your hand if you hold mine... The time that we kill keeps us alive." Rise Against - Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

It works if players can't change their class, or in this game, their souls. However, you can change within 8 souls at any given time. Having a different mechanic for each is too much to worry about. Knowing how each soul works enough to switch effectively within one mechanic will be plenty of work.

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    Why,,, because it makes the classes feel like more than just a Spell list.

All souls of a calling, share the same mechanics, only thing different is the spell list.
    Not really. Justicar has Conviction, something that no other cleric Soul seems to have.

And I'm rolling Justicar.

Rift Disciple

how would that work? this game is about mixing souls? how would "holy power" work with rage, if every souls has a diffrent mechanic, you will end up whit three diffrent mechanics on one single character, which sounds more confusing then fun and probally limits the freedome of building hybrid classes.

The only solution would be to "unlock" a mechanic if you max all points into one tree, but that would mean that abilities/spells need to change in order to work with the new mechanic, ultimatly i just dont think it would work in this game,mayby later down the line, when the game has been out for a while, and everyone have played around whit it more, but i ont think it would be wise to do so before release,
    Last edited by LazerApe; 11-29-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Telaran

Different resource mechanics are good to a point, but don't really add much.

That was one of my big turnoffs in warhammer. They took two nearly identical classes, gave them a different resource mechanic, and let it go. I never could find one that had a playstyle I liked and a resource mechanic I could tolerate.

Keep it simple. There's no need to add complex mechanics to classes to make them fun. Give us something that's easy to play and put us in difficult situations - not the other way around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2