+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Classes vs New Soul :Take your pic

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cKerensky View Post
    Whole new archetype, though not for the obvious reason.

Developers want you rolling alts. Not only does it give you best bang for your buck, it also ensures that new people who join the game aren't in a barren wasteland.

By "forcing" you to start up an alt, you're more likely to level up, and thusly, impart upon new players what high level play is like, while helping them out, fostering a sense of community.

So as much as I'd like for them to only just add new souls.....I've gotta go with the Archetype...
    The lack of reasons to roll alts is one of the disadvantages of the soul system.

I've posted my thoughts on this elsewhere. Essentially, I believe it is going to reduce the replay value of he game, resulting in lower subscription numbers in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Apherdite View Post
    I'd personally go for the new souls, they really have all of the archetypes covered. Melee DPS, Magic DPS, Healing, Meat Shields... there are many variations in the archetypes too, which makes them nice. Honestly though, if it weren't just about classes, I'd hope for more races, maybe non-humans. But I know this isn't the correct thread or forum for that ;)

^^^^^ This ^^^^
    -=Yawn=-

Ideally:
    New races, making a 3rd faction.

On topic:
    New souls

I think adding new races + new souls in an expansion would be enough to entice people to roll alts. Assuming they increased the number of souls you could start with, I can see myself rolling up a new character just to make something of a different race...they could also add in new starting areas, so you never know. Of course, they'd have to give us a decent amount of character slots for that to happen...

A new archetype would be great, but as other people mentioned, I'm not sure what they could do. So my vote would be for new souls instead.

As stated by others, a new archetype doesnt seem to fit in, or be realistic.

However to work on the Engineering stuff which seems likely for defiants, Guardians should be able to manipulate the world, as quick sand (dont know the actual word for it) Summoning spirits, special powers from new relics which the Guardians digged up.

However, if this becomes a succes, TRION should probably have hundreds of brilliant ideas to put into development.

Probably you could fit new archetypes into the soul system. You could take an engineering type and make it a Mage, for example (techno-mage), or a cyborg and make it a Warrior archetype (Techno-Viking).....that sort of thing.

New races would be great, though.

I could easily see room for some sort of undead cybrogs, a la Warhammer 40K or Allods. There are bunches of others..I mean...with time travel, you have an entire universe of possibilities in game.

I'd much prefer new souls to a new archetype because I think the Warrior/Rouge/Cleric/Mage covers most of the bases. A new soul or souls could be implemented much faster to appease the hungry masses while an archetype would take much longer to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    I can.

Engineer Calling. with things like technomagic, this could be a interesting calling.

Let me see what I can think up for 8 souls for it.
    6)Locomotive - this soul is a conjurer that deals with creating environmental weapons that can be used by other ally and him/her self.
    I would so play this class. Who wouldn't want me in their raid?
    http://www.photoforum.ru/f/photo/000/251/251767_22.jpg
    Last edited by ContagiousVD; 11-26-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Now that I think of it, I could see a lot of potential for contests or community input for new souls.

Imagine a "Design a soul" contest for players...some lucky subscriber would win and get to see their soul become a part of the game, AND be able to equip it without re-rolling an alt.

Hell, if you got 100 submissions a year, you could probably come up with a pretty cool soul to introduce every 3-4 months.
    Last edited by Vihar; 11-26-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Personally I would like to see a new soul per calling.

But I would also like to see a 4th soul equipped with more points eventually maybe adding another role at some point.

RIFT class structure is very much like WotC's Star Wars Saga edition.

At first it seems limiting to have so few core classes which you are forced to enter into but each book offers new talent specializations you can choose or cross into (within their rules). These are akin to souls in Rift. This effectively allows infinite soul expansion without breaking the core class conceptual design (aka limitation).

Rift covers the core fantasy archetypes that pretty much all imaginable specializations could fall into. In fact only three are needed seeing Rift is following the basic trinity concept anyway. Diverging soldier type with rogue type is yet another fantasy standard they are adhering to as it solves the problem of tank dps'rs to an extent.

If Rift Devs didn't look to a rpg like Star Wars Saga as inspiration to solve the problem between core class preservation against not limiting class diversity then it really would be a mind blowing coincidence. They can add infinite souls to this game while not run into problems much like Wow had with adding a new class and did nothing but compete with roles other classes already struggled to specialize in thus creating redundancy.
    Last edited by Tamanous; 11-26-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    I can.

Engineer Calling. with things like technomagic, this could be a interesting calling.

Let me see what I can think up for 8 souls for it.1) Tinker - a similar concept to Warhammer's engineer.(Rogue: RDPS)

2) Alchemist - mix magic and tech to drain enemies power.(Mage: Debuffer)

3) Cannonader - Fights using massive AoE ranged attacks, with AoE aftermath negative aura effects on enemy.(Mage: Nuker)

4) Boter - (interesting name ) but this soul deals mainly with controlling magically driven bots. So this the pet class for this calling. (Mage: Necromancer equivalent))

5) Borg - Shape shifting tech soul. Deals with changing the shape of his/her mechanical replaced arms, into other weapons of mass destruction.(WarriorPS Tank)

6)Locomotive - this soul is a conjurer that deals with creating environmental weapons that can be used by other ally and him/her self.[B](This soul doesn't even sound workable)[/B]

7) Mastermind - uses channeled combat abilities with the tech to create illusions on the field of battle.(How soes this soul cause damage with illusions?)

8)Machinate- Melee fighter, with Bomb specials, which acts as negative radiating AoE effect that blast from the machinate.[B]Sounds just like the saboteur to me)[/B]

Reply is underlined
    Last edited by Scarab; 11-26-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarab View Post
    Reply is underlined
    umm, that same apply to just about any other calling as well. So you think they should be removed as well?

nah,,

anyway, by having their own calling, that means they can mix/match between the own calling and be balanced around their own calling rather then be mixed into the other callings which weren't designed for them.
    Last edited by tro44; 11-26-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Rift Disciple

I'm going to agree with most others and go with more souls. When you think about the traditional roles in MMOs, Rift really will have the archetypes covered. I guess they could come up with a CC archetype, but of course there already are CC classes among the mage calling, coming up with 8 souls for a CC archetype would be difficult, and having so many CC'ers would make PvP really annoying and it would be hard to find a place for them in raids.

Couple things: Psionicist as mentioned earlier would be a mental warrior. For an example check out the D&D 4E PHB3 book as that is the power source for them. They have about 4 or 5 classes based on using that power including the monk class.

If this gets us a monk/martial artist/hand to hand/zen fighter then I'd be all for it. I just don't see being able to create a new calling/class with just monks. Doesn't seem to have enough real variation to get more than two or three.

So my answer: Whichever gets us a monk class.
    "I don't know, I'm making this up as I go."

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calderon View Post
    I'm going to agree with most others and go with more souls. When you think about the traditional roles in MMOs, Rift really will have the archetypes covered. I guess they could come up with a CC archetype, but of course there already are CC classes among the mage calling, coming up with 8 souls for a CC archetype would be difficult, and having so many CC'ers would make PvP really annoying and it would be hard to find a place for them in raids.
    Coming up with 8 souls for CC is not so hard. City of Heroes does quite well with its Controller archetype.

The problem is, nearly all of them could just as easily be defined as mages.

For those who have not played City of Heroes, Controllers tend to have the following:
    • low dps
    • secondary role as back-up healer / buffer
    • Most can perma hold / root / knock-down / stun / confuse multiple mobs

Most controllers can solo quite well, although slowly. A few, such as fire / kinetics, can solo large numbers of weak mobs very quickly. The Illusionist / radiation is an AV (group level boss) killer, but less useful in groups than many other builds.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 11-26-2010 at 05:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast