+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleric or Mage??

Default Cleric or Mage??

Trying to decide between Cleric and Mage for headstart.

For Cleri, I was thinking Inquisitor/Warden/Druid... with build point emphasis in that order

For Mage, I was thinking Necro/Warlorck/Chloro.... with point emphasis in that order.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments, or alternate suggestions.
    A must read for all people

The tale of Two Noobs

I personally prefer cleric over mage. Inquisitor and cabalist together provides alot of competent damage-over-time, nuking and AoE - couple it with something else like sentinel (self-healing, some of its own damage-over-time, support, secondary group-healer) and you have a highly competent hybrid class capable of excellent 1vs1, excellent multi-combat AOE and alternative support (to help your group's healing guys).

I personally play Warden/Cabalist/Inquisitor and love it, however, I heard that Sentinel is a better choice instead of Warden so i am going to try that.

So thats Sentinel/Cabalist/Inquisitor.

Of course, since Cleric is a healer at heart, you can have another role as Healer - switch between this class (DPS), Support (I suggest Inquisitor/Sentinel/Warden or Purifier/Sentinel/Warden for pure support) and other roles as you need them. Cleric is obviously designed to be better at healing than mage, but I find it has similar capabilities as Mage in terms of DPS (but not as much options, and cleric focuses more on damage-over-time) and its Melee (I never tried it, but I plan on trying out Inquisitor/Shaman/Justicar later on) can be as competent as Warrior (Anyone going to correct me on that? I am honestly not sure, but reading the soul trees, it seems so), but once again has not as much options.

Cleric is very flexible like that
    Last edited by DOOMSPECTRE; 02-12-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaee View Post
    Trying to decide between Cleric and Mage for headstart.

For Mage, I was thinking Necro/Warlorck/Chloro.... with point emphasis in that order.
    What do you want to be able to do with your character ?

DPS, solo,patch heal ?

or mainly dps but be able to swtich to a healer in emergency ?

Since you can spec to mayn different goals some elaboration what you hope to be able to do would be nice.

Also dont forget you can switch your soulset within 2 seconds outside combat, so compromise specs that are able to to everything at the same time with a marginal level of success won't really work, you gimp yourself with them

Telaran

Why does everyone say cleric is better at healing than mage? Mages can heal very well atm, and have rivaled clerics in all currently available content. They just have a VERY different healing style.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Garresh View Post
    Why does everyone say cleric is better at healing than mage? Mages can heal very well atm, and have rivaled clerics in all currently available content. They just have a VERY different healing style.
    Yes a chlro mage can heal but as an overall main healer its flawed. the AoE heal is nice, as well as spirit link but just doesn't cut it to put out enough healing to make it viable to replace a cleric in a group
    CPU: Intel QX9775 X2
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX295 SLI
    RAM: 8GB Kingston
    mmm, i smell flamed noob rosted on a open forum

necro/warlock is so absurdly overpowered for pve.... how dare you even begin to think of playing anything else.

i say ride the wave til it crashes.

though I myself am playing an inquisitor, but thats only because I can debuff my own damage type and since I like to pvp.... thats what I want.
    Last edited by BishopX; 02-13-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Tarith View Post
    Yes a chlro mage can heal but as an overall main healer its flawed. the AoE heal is nice, as well as spirit link but just doesn't cut it to put out enough healing to make it viable to replace a cleric in a group
    beat the dead horse some more....

it has been shown that the tank healing on a chloro is pretty huge, the AE heals on the group are just a side effect.

care for a friendly reminder ?

level 30 big heal does over 1k noncrit every 6 seconds with 300ish noncrit in between to with the spam heal, not to mention the added healing from Radiant spores.
    Did I mention I can keep this up for hours of nonstopcasting as Chloro ?

including the last beta Chloros were main healing instances without a problem, soul description says HEALING soul like the 3 cleric healing souls and not enhance like the bard soul..

less imho more hard facts pls that chloro has significant less healing output than a cleric at same level

I am torn on this choice as well. Mage or Cleric.

I plan on being a healer end game and was going to roll cleric because I have never healed before and wanted the most options, but since everyone and their brother is going cleric I have been looking at chloromancer as my main heal soul. Will it be viable endgame? I know it is different playstyle than just spamming heals and it does sound fun but I want to be sure I can be a main healer end game.

+ Reply to Thread