+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for GENERAL build advice for beta 7 on a self-sufficient pvp builds

Soulwalker

Default Looking for GENERAL build advice for beta 7 on a self-sufficient pvp builds

So beta 7 will more or less be my first beta (had about 3 hours with beta 6), and I had some questions about which souls to pick for my PVP play style. Again, I am talking about PVP only and do not really care about PVE. Basically what I am looking for is comments on builds that are more or less self sufficient in PVP. What I mean by this is a build that can enter a pug WF and still perform decently without needing tons of support from said pug healers, etc. The play style I prefer is ranged single target dps with kiting ability so I can prekite, protect backline healers,and assist frontline dps. A good example would be the squig herder or shadow warrior from WAR for those who played it. I'm not looking for huge dps numbers or massive spike or whatnot, but something that just needs a few hots here and there to stay alive unless being focus fired.

Now I've played around with the soul calculator quite a bit and strictly from a theorycraft point of view, it would seem I have a few options, but I have no idea how the builds would work in game so am looking for advice from those who have played with these builds or similar. My ideas are as follows:

Warlock/Chloromancer/Archmage - Main soul would be warlock with enough in chloro to get both heals and the int/endurance buff. Archmage is for -% to be crit and spell damage (both teir 1), with detaunt being the desired root ability.

Pyromancer/Warlock/Archmage - Forsake the chloromancer heals for higher dps from pyro and use warlock for passive spell buffs, life taps, and mana/hp regens. Archmage is for -% to be crit and spell damage (both teir 1), with detaunt being the desired root ability.

Marksman/riftstalker/ranger - a non-stealthing rogue that would have a ton of survivability options and CC. As it would be a survival/kiting build, I see no reason to take the pvp soul, and instead get the damage buff, damage reduction, and snare from ranger. Then get all the normal stuff from marksman along with the survivability stuff from riftstalker up to the absorb shield.

Marksman/assassin/ranger(infiltrator) - Similiar to the build above, but swap out the survivability from riftstalker for the offensive passives from assassin up to improved stealth. Then either take the damage buff, damage reduction, and snare from ranger or the armor penetration, etc from infiltrator.

Inquisitor/Warden/Templar - Seems like the typical ranged dps cleric PVP build, minus the additional offensive bonuses cabalist would offer, but would net me additional survival from warden heals. Again, enough in the PVP soul for detaunt.

Lastly, I suppose if I had to go with a melee class self sufficient build, it would be one of the following:

Shaman/Warden/Templar - Basically the same as the Inquis/Warden/Templar build, except with the melee cleric class. The point spread looks to be about the same for both builds.

Riftblade/Paragon(Reaver)/Champion - This build actually interests me greatly, as you can play semi-ranged with the riftblade/paragon(reaver) souls with the additional charge and passives from champion. Seems to me if a WF was getting destroyed, this toon could sit inbetween the healers and frontline melee and play at ranged, but still be strong enough to go toe-to-toe with melee classes. The paragon build would basically be a parry machine, while the reaver build would be more of extra dps with a little self healing.

So those are my ideas. I have not linked any actual builds, as the game will be changing so much, especially as it first gets off the ground, but I would think the basic soul utility and functionality will not change so much that their general play styles will be drastically changed.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated!!

-Audiojack

Shaman/warden/templar? No CC? CC breaks have a longer CD than any CC so if you break, it takes a bit of kiting just to reapply. I dont think thats a very viable build for anything except, MAYBE WF, but a good premade, late in the game will debuff you to death.

First, i personally thing a 0 point templar is worthless. Just my opinion. And spreading points so much into 3 souls may not be the best for pvp, because you get all damage skill early on most of the time, while the worth while skills are way into the tree/root. Thus you may not have the points to spare.

Justi/Druid/Templar(Warden)
    You have a ranged slow, several stuns, debuff of all kinds depending on point distribution. As well as sustained heals (more so if you have warden) or cc breaks (if you have templar) so you are able to apply your own CC for getaways or to go in for the kill.s

Justi/Templar (45/21)
    You should be able to tank most damage, especially with the new shield, as well as heal yourself with the updated reprieve (as wella s updates healing)
    If you do get silenced or healing debuffed you can remove them, or wait them out since they will be shorter if you stick to the left side of your templar. Snare galore, to keep enemies close, as well as a stun.

Solid build imo

Druid/Templar

Best of both worlds especially with the attack buffs druids are getting. You have to survival of templar, a sleep, an a aoe root which is very very nice, a silence, a heal (greater fae) 3 ranged attacks for kiting, and when you are ready to go in for the kill, you are able to slow them down. 0 point puri for an extra shield to go along with justi new shield, oak, although strong, is only for phys damage, and you may be susceptible to magic attack sif you cant get your silence off, which you should if your sleep is not on CD.

Justi/Warden
    Here you have similar benefits of Justi templar, but you also have a cure skill, which is helpful. Plus plethora of HoTs along with your justi heals. If there is anything you will be, is hard to take down, since most of your heals are instant.
    0 templar for a one trick pony in case you get silenced. 0 point Puri for a shield. You can also get a silence as well.

Druid/Warden
    Here you can cleanse what you need to, root, heal, sleep, then set up for your attack.
    Decent damage, and decent survivability. But your debuffs and ccs are key.
    You can also root and ranged cast your skills taking advantage of bombard which will be a nuke with savage force + destructive tide. In case you need to kite a bit or cant get close to the target for some reason. And then you can wail on them when they get close with your druid skills.

Best thing is, you have 2 silences, which will make you very nice against VKs i think since i believe they use magic skills to mess with clerics. If not, well, mages and bards? And other clerics.

44/21 or 51/15 is a hard choice.
    I dont remember if strength of fae is changed, but if it isnt, you have an Oshi-t button just in case things get intense. Which would make 51point tempting.
    0 point puri, inqui for vex? I think it counts as an insta cast skills.

All those are pretty much self reliant since you have healing quite available as well as ways to get out of CC.
    Not to mention chain armour and CC.
    Last edited by Eughe; 02-12-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Soulwalker

Solid points, and I will definitely look into a Justicar build. Only reason I didn't do it much before is I thought that was more of tanking soul, but I'll take another look

Any points on the mage or rogue soul setups?
    Last edited by Audiojack; 02-12-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Soulwalker

Did some more theory crafting and from what I can tell, the Justicar/xxx combination would be very self-sufficient for pvp, it just doesn't look like it would be much more, especially in a s/b setup. While I appreciate the longevity of the build, it's just not something I think I would enjoy playing as the dps would seem to be too low.

There has to be someone willing to break this down for me, or at least confirm my theory craft suspicions with actual game experience. I'm just trying to avoid leveling a bunch of different toons I end up hating, especially if beta is only 6 days long.

As far as I know for B7, the level cap will be 42 so that negates the option of Templar, as well as the full point allocation.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrain View Post
    As far as I know for B7, the level cap will be 42 so that negates the option of Templar, as well as the full point allocation.
    Yeah, I know, but it will anyone with practical advice on the soul combinations will still give me a starting point, as a release build is what I'll be working towards.

+ Reply to Thread