+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with mage please.

Shadowlander

Default Help with mage please.

Hi i plan on playing a mage in beta and release but im very lost in deciding what kind of mage to be for lvling and pvp. Can anyone give me some feedback on builds they've tried?
    "They screamed at me to stop, but it was too late, my blade had already pierced his heart."

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vaerwind View Post
    Hi i plan on playing a mage in beta and release but im very lost in deciding what kind of mage to be for lvling and pvp. Can anyone give me some feedback on builds they've tried?
    For leveling ,
    any spec with a 0 pt pet works great to 30, after that you probably need to spec the pet soul

Warlock/ Chloro is a beast all around. This is by far my favorite combo (6pts in Elementalist) but you can do any 3rd soul for different utility

No comment on mage PVP. I tend not to do it on mages, just not my playstyle in that arena. I prefer mobility in PVP and standing still casting 1.5 to 2 or even 3sec cast time spells goes against everything I believe in.

Shadowlander

thanks alot
    "They screamed at me to stop, but it was too late, my blade had already pierced his heart."

PVE:
    Pet classes
    -Necro: initial pet is dps
    -Ele: initial pet is tank
    *Necro is the easiest class to be successful at in PVE and 1on1 PVP. You have skill to heal urself, ur pet, restore hps, and pet tanks for you. Once you hit lvl16 you can just Soul Purge everything pretty successfully after building up a little charge.
    *To any class, consider adding 8pts Chloro for instant heal, 10 pts for life giving veil. Any tree should PvE just fine with a small investment in chloro. For event PvP your gonna be in the back of the crowd most of the time (least ur gonna try) so swap it for something else (like 15 pts of Ele) in your PvP build.

Event PvP:
    -Pyro: heavy single target damage (add 15 pts ele here for +50% crit dam, +5% crit hit, spell shield)
    -Storm: nice aoe damage (again goes well with ele)
    -Necro: not bad single target dam. not a pyro, but since soul purge is contantly healing you and pet ur survivability is good (... for a mage).
    *Arch/Chlor is a nice support build for heals & buffs.
    *Lock: Dunno, looks underpowered
    *Dom: Looks like fun. Again, dunno

Hope this helps you decide!
    (sorry, i spell at a middle school lvl ^^)
    Last edited by sukilee; 02-12-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    If you find yourself in a 1 on 1 fight, then your tactics suck!

Play around with what ever you like and feel comfortable with. You can have all your souls by level 13, see what ya like and works for you. Depending what they do with XP gain, currently you can level to 13 with ease in just a few hrs. then spend what ever time you like mixing up souls and specs. ( for a few gold per respec) You can also pick up a 2nd spec to switch back and for with for testing cheep. The 3rd and 4th get pretty pricey though.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sukilee View Post
    PVE:
    Pet classes
    -Necro: initial pet is dps
    -Ele: initial pet is tank
    *Necro is the easiest class to be successful at in PVE and 1on1 PVP. You have skill to heal urself, ur pet, restore hps, and pet tanks for you. Once you hit lvl16 you can just Soul Purge everything pretty successfully after building up a little charge.
    *To any class, consider adding 8pts Chloro for instant heal, 10 pts for life giving veil. Any tree should PvE just fine with a small investment in chloro. For event PvP your gonna be in the back of the crowd most of the time (least ur gonna try) so swap it for something else (like 15 pts of Ele) in your PvP build.

Event PvP:
    -Pyro: heavy single target damage (add 15 pts ele here for +50% crit dam, +5% crit hit, spell shield)
    -Storm: nice aoe damage (again goes well with ele)
    -Necro: not bad single target dam. not a pyro, but since soul purge is contantly healing you and pet ur survivability is good (... for a mage).
    *Arch/Chlor is a nice support build for heals & buffs.
    *Lock: Dunno, looks underpowered
    *Dom: Looks like fun. Again, dunno

Hope this helps you decide!
    (sorry, i spell at a middle school lvl ^^)
    I agree mostly, except on the Lock part. I think they have the potential to be near pyro or better single target dmg. They have 2 AoE dots that can be used when needed. There single target is 1.5s cast and 3 DoT's to mix in and with improved warlock armor, empowered darkness, dark power, nedra's toture you get +105% spell damage (Pyro can't get close, although has a bit more crit and likely more burst. Or use a hybrid of these). It also benefits from Ele 2nd soul. Never ending mana and health. Nedra's influence gives +40% DoT dmg on top of that. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z_vq..eeRAkqqek.Vx0x AoE 10sec Fear The ele crit% is nice along with crit bonus dmg and gives another AoE.
    Last edited by Sixfeetdeep; 02-12-2011 at 10:51 PM.

I played a ele/storm/pyro combo and enjoyed it. Left her at 20 at end of last beta.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Vaerwind View Post
    I actually played Necro/warlock/chloromancer and it was quite good for soloing. Reasons- self heal, good pet dps holding mobs, extra dots from warlock tree giving you good mobility.
    Last edited by Kuwabara; 02-12-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwabara View Post
    I actually played Necro/warlock/chloromancer and it was quite good for soloing. Reasons- self heal, good pet dps holding mobs, extra dots from warlock tree giving you good mobility.
    Ill second the necro/warlock/chloromancer build, you'll outtank most characters built for tanking, -and- do good damage while doing so. During beta 5 and 6 i was able to solo 4-6 mobs at a time, although dots are kinda 'ehh' atm, and so takes a while, but soul purge sends your survivability sky-high (Necromancer talent ability).

The general rotation is (atleast for me) Radiant Spores -> Withering Vine -> Life Leech -> Soul Link, whatever else you want to throw at the mobs (2-3 more dots or DD's) then soul purge whenever your nearing max charge to heal yourself and your pet.

+ Reply to Thread