+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Relair

Thread: Rifts pet classes and pets

Soulwalker

Default Rifts pet classes and pets

Hello everyone:
    I was wondering if I could get some information about the various pets and pet classes in Rifts. I know the Necromancer gets three types of pets however I was wondering what they were and what their strengths were? I also noticed that the Elementalist is a pet class however I could not find any information about them. What types are they? Also what kind of pets does the Ranger get? Also is there any other pet classes in the game that I'm missing?

One last question: Is there a class like the Bonedancer from DAoC? A pet class that could have multiple pets and types?

Shadowlander

I can't say anything for mages.

But clerics if you take the druid soul, get a Faerie: which is a pet that can Put a HoT onto you, Attack your enemy or Heal you. and 31 points into the druid soul you unlock, Summon Satyr, basically a pocket warrior.

for Rogues, the ranger soul gets access to Razorbeast: your basic tanking pet, also your first pet, At level 10 you get a Wolf which is average dps, at 31 points into the soul you unlock Summon BloodRaptor which I didn't really get to play around with but heard it was quite good in sitatuions.

Warriors, if you take the beastmaster soul, just get a dog/cat Primal being, which isnt meant for tanking it's just a in combat pet that'll help you dps

Rift Disciple

druid pet is a joke.....

the aoe heal is kinda erratic...... it heals when it "remembers" to heal...... i can;t really control which ability to use and when.... been asking people in raid if they got the aoe healing from the pet and they kept saying no, which is a matter of concern.... well some people are too ignorant to understand but some are not....

Description or coding is not clear enough if the pet put a HoT on all raid members or just some.......

Pet is described as a healer pet...... well, it is not..... not as it is right now.. one healing ability which is kinda poor in heals, very low dps, negligible to say as compared to other pets....

Most ability descriptions are really very poorly done..... you get a level 1 fairy pet that does how much base damage and how much base aoe heal? you get an upgraded levelled up fiary that again changes its stats to what? Reusable time of your pet's aoe heal? TOTAL CONTROL of your pet"s aoe heal? you use it when you see it fit? they need to work a lot more on that

I've only ever played a mage, so I can help with that end of things.
    There are basically two pet classes with the mage. First, there's the Elementalist, as you mentioned. Second is the Necromancer
    The Elementalist has up to 3 kinds of pets that hand around for a while, and 1 kind that's short term (have to recast/has a duration). I'm not including the "greater" as being different from the "lesser" as you never really go back to the lesser.
    You have your Earth Elemental (tank), Air (ranged DPS), and Water (don't know, never got that far in the tree). Those last until they die or you unsummon.
    The last is the Fire Elementals. They come in a pack of 5, but only last for 20 seconds.

The Necromancer has the same kind of setup.
    You have one summon that is tank, one that is melee dps, one that is ranged dps, and then a pack of them that are short term. All undead, of course.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by kathiki View Post
    druid pet is a joke.....

the aoe heal is kinda erratic...... it heals when it "remembers" to heal...... i can;t really control which ability to use and when.... been asking people in raid if they got the aoe healing from the pet and they kept saying no, which is a matter of concern.... well some people are too ignorant to understand but some are not....

Description or coding is not clear enough if the pet put a HoT on all raid members or just some.......

Pet is described as a healer pet...... well, it is not..... not as it is right now.. one healing ability which is kinda poor in heals, very low dps, negligible to say as compared to other pets....

Most ability descriptions are really very poorly done..... you get a level 1 fairy pet that does how much base damage and how much base aoe heal? you get an upgraded levelled up fiary that again changes its stats to what? Reusable time of your pet's aoe heal? TOTAL CONTROL of your pet"s aoe heal? you use it when you see it fit? they need to work a lot more on that
    I dont think the druid is designed for groups, pvp. Neither as a healer. I see and played it more as solo. I let the pet fight and heal. Usefull in low level rifts also. When i needed as solo play i turned off attack spell in pet bar and let it just heal, but still used a red potion once in a while. There is no uber soul/pet that can do all sorts of roles. Each class-soul has one main purpose and you can add some abilities as you see fit twards your play style.

Soulwalker

necromancer pets are strong, anyway people said something about necro pets used to be way more powerfull, so i dont know, i was happy with necro pets. perhaps trion should also buff abit more if you go deep in necro soul.

i heard alot of people complaining about druid pet, i will not even try, elementist has good tank pet and dps one as well.

While I don't agree with everything kathiki said either (or the tone of the post ), he is right that documentation of the various pets and their stats/abilities at various ranks is VERY limited.
    If you haven't already, take a look at one of the interactive soul tree webpages around the place (e.g. the ZAM Soul Tree Calculator), but be aware that most "root" abilities can be ranked up at your calling's trainers in-game. For example, the Ranger soul (Rogue calling) gets 'Call Razorbeast' as a zero point root ability. The tooltip in the Soul Tree Calculator says "The maximum level of the summoned pet is 5". This maximum level can be increased (into the mid-20s iirc) by buying ('training') higher ranks in that ability from Rogue Trainers in-game. (If you get 24 points into the Ranger tree you get Greater Razorbeast, whose max level starts at 30 and can again be ranked up, possibly all the way to 50).
    accept everything, believe nothing

Soulwalker

Thanks for the reply's, I will be taking part in the open beta when it starts and I love pet classes. Which pet class would be best for soloing and group support for dungeons? I like grouping with my friends however due to my schedule I solo a lot when they are not on.

Necromancer:
    You get a rogue pet that seems to be the highest dps pet in the game right now, a tank pet that is pretty good and can hold aggro for soloing and offtank an add in a group for a bit, and a mage pet that is kinda meh right now, its mainly for AoE but it doesnt seem to do that much dmg. It looks badass though.

Elementalist:
    Best tank pet in the game is their earth pet with the right talents, it has huge hp and can get like 30% dmg mitigation with talents, and has 2 or 3 taunts. It does crap dmg though. Air pet does ranged dmg/AoE and a group spell power buff, and the water pet is more utility, it does ranged dmg and snares, AoE roots, and silences.

Ranger:
    Boar pet is a solid tank pet that has a very useful charge ability, its on stuff in an instant. The dire wolf has a good bite atk that can reduce healing on its target by 30%, and an aoe howl that reduces chance to hit. Raptor pet is general purpose dps and has an aoe attack and a good bleed dot.

Druid:
    Lesser faerie is a gimp little thing, has a weak heal over time and a tiny dmg bolt spell thats about equivalent of a very weak dot. Greater faerie is much better, she looks cool and also gets a direct heal and does better dmg/healing. Satyr pet is a hulking brute lol, its like 10ft tall and has a huge axe, does very nice dmg but kind of low hp. Also casts a group atk buff.

Beastmaster:
    Lesser cat which just has one high dmg atk it can spam all day, and a greater cat that gets an additional pounce ability. BM pets are unique in that they get stances, a defensive one that increases its threat, armor and hp, and reduces its dmg, and an offensive one that does the opposite. With their pet out BM gives a crapload of buffs to a group, str, end, dex, ooc movement speed, stealth detection, stun duration reduction, and either +10% atk or +10% armor depending on which stance the pet is in.

Thats the general rundown but I definitely encourage you to at least play them all for a few lvls to see which suits you, pets in rift can be very useful and viable if you put the points into them. As for multiple pets out at once, necromancer has 2 swarm pet type spells with multiple pets in addition to your main one, but for limited duration. Elementalist has a fire elemental swarm pet spell as well, but nothing like AoC with 8 pets out at once or whatever.
    Last edited by Relair; 02-12-2011 at 02:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread