+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Great Game -One Concern about DPS Builds PvE+PvP

Rift Master

Default Great Game -One Concern about DPS Builds PvE+PvP

My only concern is playing a DPS caster Cleric and reach max level to only discover they do not hold there own PvP and PvE wise as compared to a Mage.

As a Cleric my main build would be: Inquisitor

As a Mage its still undecided between Warlock and Necromancer.

One of the main selling points of Rift is at max level we will have all souls and save 3-4 roles which we can easily switch between between. What I have yet to get a firm answer on is will I do just as well end game PvP/PvE wise as a DPS Inquisitor Cleric as compared to any Mage build?

Plane Walker

No one can give you an answer for that. You should just hope that the classes get balanced sufficiently.

Classes can and will change.

Rift Master

Sure no one is at max level now, but this question goes to design philosophy, is it an active part of Rift game design to allow Cleric DPS caster build to hold its own as compared to other caster DPS builds PvE and PvP wise?

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Sure no one is at max level now, but this question goes to design philosophy, is it an active part of Rift game design to allow Cleric DPS caster build to hold its own as compared to other caster DPS builds PvE and PvP wise?
    I'm sure that would be Trion's intention. Since Clerics wear chainmail compared to the Mage's cloth, Mage's DPS will surely be a lot more powerful than Clerics due to the lower armor rating for mages.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by sinasdf View Post
    I'm sure that would be Trion's intention. Since Clerics wear chainmail compared to the Mage's cloth, Mage's DPS will surely be a lot more powerful than Clerics due to the lower armor rating for mages.
    But mages have many more tools for survivability in the form of CC. A Inquisitor has but 1 root and a heal that is dependent on damage -or if u take a healing soul you may have a really weak instant.

So mail which is little mitigation against physical Vs high CC/survivability of mages...

Plane Walker

But mages have many more tools for survivability in the form of CC. A Inquisitor has but 1 root and a heal that is dependent on damage -or if u take a healing soul you may have a really weak instant.

So mail which is little mitigation against physical Vs high CC/survivability of mages...
    Well it's not fair to compare one soul to an entire class.

In Trion's mind when balancing the damage of classes, they need to compare Cleric's heals + chainmail to the Mages' cloth + CC

What I have yet to get a firm answer on is will I do just as well end game PvP/PvE wise as a DPS Inquisitor Cleric as compared to any Mage build?
    Nobody will know until release or until the NDA on Alpha no longer applies and they let us know what they think.
    My guess is they will try to keep things as balanced as possible so that nobody is overpowered or gimped too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSorrow View Post
    So just because this doesn't work like every other game it's bad?
    Adapt, adopt and improve. If you can't do that, maybe it's something other than the game that's bad.
    Level 50 Cleric:Tuskon

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by sinasdf View Post
    Well it's not fair to compare one soul to an entire class.

In Trion's mind when balancing the damage of classes, they need to compare Cleric's heals + chainmail to the Mages' cloth + CC
    Thats exactly why I had hoped the developers would lets us in on the design philosophy. For example WoW lead designers have had a clear message regarding Hybrid Vs Pure DPS. Like it or not its clear.

I think Trion should consider a bit of transparency in light of the massive number of possible soul combinations.

One of the worst thing that can happen to me as a gamer -worst measured as negative gaming experience- is to to reach max level with an Inquisitor Cleric only to discover no groups or raids will take me as DPS! Also to reach max level as a Inquisitor only to discover the soul is gimped for PvP!

Plane Touched

Thats exactly why I had hoped the developers would lets us in on the design philosophy. For example WoW lead designers have had a clear message regarding Hybrid Vs Pure DPS. Like it or not its clear.

I think Trion should consider a bit of transparency in light of the massive number of possible soul combinations.

One of the worst thing that can happen to me as a gamer -worst measured as negative gaming experience- is to to reach max level with an Inquisitor Cleric only to discover no groups or raids will take me as DPS! Also to reach max level as a Inquisitor only to discover the soul is gimped for PvP!
    I think they, right now, are having their hands full making sure the game can come out come the 24th. I think they will be just as communicative, if not more so than, as blizzard.

logically a cleric should have no where near the dps of a mage class, (if the dps of a casting cleric is anywhere near that of a mage, why on earth would anyone play a cloth wearing, non healing mage?)

but there are no guarantees with Rift as there is no beta end game (level 50) testing being carried out before live

so if you want to be safe:

if you want to dps roll a mage or rogue

if you want to heal roll a cleric

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
    logically a cleric should have no where near the dps of a mage class, (if the dps of a casting cleric is anywhere near that of a mage, why on earth would anyone play a cloth wearing, non healing mage?)

but there are no guarantees with Rift as there is no beta end game (level 50) testing being carried out before live

i would have to agree on the safe part. Although I also believe that it would, then, be ridiculous to even have dps souls for the cleric, unless they were supposed to dps.

Prophet of Telara

i disagree

cabalist has 0 healing spells and inquisitor has only 1 drain on a single dot. on the other hand chloro has plenty of healing power.

so logically a cabalist or an inquisitor should has even more dps than a chloro and equal dps to any other pure dps classes.

the 'balancing' drawback that i see is that most cleric dps classes (inq, cab, sham) need more than 36points into their main tree (even up high to 51points for the full passive boost to damage) in order to perform equal dps. This limits their points into secondary souls thus limiting the 'danger' of having equal dps and good healing through a healing soul.

but since we can't test endgame this is only speculation.

Rift Master

Because to maximize the damage the Cleric would need to invest points in another DPS soul, thus making his healing poor at best. Inquisitor would need to invest 15+ points in another souls to boost spell damage.

Telaran

Sorry, but may I ask, why do you always ask "as aDPS cleric inquisitor"?

You have 8+1 souls as a cleric, you can mix and match, have 4 roles to save them, whiy pidgeon hole yourself into Inquisitor???
    What's the problem of spending 15+ points in another soul?

Made you a build quick for a Inquisitor/Warden/Purifier that gets in addition of heals knockback, silence, cleanse and shields from the other 2 souls, making you pretty hard to kill in PVP, plus still affording heals to the other players...

Cause why roll a cleric, if you are only concerned about your DPS?
    Please roll a mage than.

I do not agree and is a little one sided. Cleric is not only a healing calling.

Inq/Cab/Wrd is a nice DPS combo and has respectable damage output. Trion did a great job in making the callings multi viable. As rogue you can tank, utilize or dps. As mage you can dps or heal and as cleric you can tank, dps or heal. The emphasis for every calling is different but it still does not mean you can't do anything other then be a healing cleric.

Think outside the box.

In the end Trion will balance out the callings, so the spec you want is viable.

Again, dps cleric is viable, at least for what I have seen in all the beta's I played.
    Last edited by Montezuma; 02-12-2011 at 10:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast