+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabalist's and Shaman's for New Players-How to avoid broken builds

Plane Touched

Default Cabalist's and Shaman's for New Players-How to avoid broken builds

While most people have focused on how a specific design or group of powers can lead to an overpowered character, this guide is to show new characters how to avoid choices that will make their character play very poorly for many, many levels. This is far easier than you would think from reading these forums. With many, many choices come a number of very, very bad choices.

I've studied clerics, and the easiest case of an easily broken class for a cleric class is the Justicar. They have essentially no healing ability if points aren't used to buy certain skills, and Mien of Honor isn't cast. A Justicar without the proper branch skills and Mein of Honor will only heals 4% of the damage he does and doesn't have a self-heal spell. With the proper skills and Mien of Honor up, he heals 37.5% of damage done at nine points in the the class and gets self-heal at six point in the class.

What is a new player going to think about the BLEEP healing of the Justicar? You can say "learn to play".... but we are talking about the first five hours of play. A new player is deciding if he wants to learn to play. And if he chooses a Justicar and speed-clicks on the wrong skills... BROKEN.

What about a Cabalist that doesn't realize he has to build up Lurking Decay before using Obliterate? His character is horribly weakened. A Druid that doesn't summon his fairy because "he doesn't like the way the fairy looks"? I also dislike the look of the fairy pet, but without it no Power of the Fae for him. His melee damage will be very bad.

When choosing another soul other serious problems can happen. It is very possible for both to be DPS but DPS in an incompatible way, or for the DPS to not be the kind the player wants. Obviously a Shaman/Cabalist is going to play "oddly" even though they are the two highest DPS cleric souls. Yes, an experienced player can make the combination work, but new players will struggle alot with it. If a player is playing an Inquistitor and adds a Cabalist's soul for additional single-target damage, then you will be one unhappy player. This was an actual thread on the forums. He picked the DPS cleric soul to get some more DPS.... things didn't turn out that way. He'd have been much happier adding a Sentinel soul and taking it to 8 points. Then he would have a decent DoT damage rotation. Because all DPS is not created equal, and needs to be played differently.

The purpose of this guide is to help new players avoid choices that will make their characters perform very poorly. It is not meant to create optimal or even good builds. Functional, playable builds is the goal here.

Plane Touched

Default Shamans

Shaman-A priest of elemental spirits, he has traded almost all his clerical healing power for elemental power to smash his enemies in up-close-and-personal combat. This has made him the single most destructive hand-to-hand cleric soul. When fighting with allies, a Shaman's power can provide resists and limited other enhancements to groups in addition to his melee damage. A Shaman must cast Courage of the Jaguar, Courage of the Bear, or Courage of the Eagle to have his full melee power.

Choosing your two other souls:

Shaman->Cabalist:Knowledge of a Cabalist's dark arts will allow the cleric to hurl spells that harm many enemies at once. Unfortunately, the ability to attack many enemies at range mixes poorly with a Shaman's hand-to-hand attacks on a single foe. Both the Cabalist and the Shaman also lack knowledge of the healing arts. The Shaman's path provides only a limited number of multiple enemy attacks to add to the Cabalists hurled spells, and those are achieved only far into the Shaman's path.

Shaman->Inquisitor:Knowledge of an Inquisitor dark path will allow use of both life and death magic to destroy the unrighteous from a distance. This soul's destructive power adds to the melee fury of a Shaman. An Inquisitor possesses limited healing power, and a cleric will often find it insufficient by itself. The Inquisitor's dark path also provides the ability to castigate one's enemies, slowing and frightening them, while exhorting one's allies, enhancing them and increasing their courage.

Shaman->Druid: Druidic lore will provide healing and some martial power to a cleric. Suprisingly, a Druid's martial abilities add only somewhat to the destructive power of a Shaman. Druidic spells, and a druid's fairy ally, will provide healing and protection for a cleric.

Shaman->Justicar: Knowledge of the warrior path of the Justicar will provide martial skill and healing power for a cleric.The soul's knowledge of hand-to-hand combat will add to the Shaman's destructive power. A Justicar can provide healing for a cleric, but care must be taken to nurture the decent healing power a Justicar has. A Justicar's healing is weak without the proper knowledge and spells.

Shaman->Purifier:The way of a Purifier is focused on healing and protective spells, and can provide all the healing a cleric would need. With a little knowledge of the Purifier's way, a cleric can even raise the dead. Damage? Is that what you do with that pointy stick?

Shaman->Sentinel:A Sentinel's knowledge allows both the hurling or destructive spells and the healing of wounds. A Sentinel's destructive ranged spells will increase the destructive power of a Shaman. A Sentinel's spells can provide healing for a cleric. With a little knowledge of the Sentinel's path, a cleric can even raise the dead.

Shaman->Templar:The Templar provides knowledge and abilities useful for player versus player combat.

Shaman->Warden:The way of a Warden is focused on healing with some additional destructive spells. The Warden's limited destructive ranged spells will increase the destructive power of a Shaman somewhat. The Warden's knowledge can provide healing for a cleric. With moderate knowledge of the way of the Warden, a cleric can even raise the dead.
    Last edited by Themistocles; 02-11-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Plane Touched

Default Cabalists

Cabalist:The cabalist is a master of death magic, and can hurl mighty spells at enemies, striking many at once.. He can build the power of death, with Lurking Decay, until he finally unleashes it on his foes in a single mighty blast. While the Cabalist is capable of devastating many enemies at once, he unfortunately lacks the power to heal himself from their many blows.. When fighting with allies, a Cabalist's power will mostly aid the group by destroying their enemies. Use of Lurking Decay is necessary to unlock the full power of the Cabalist.

Choosing your two other souls:

Cabalist-> Inquisitor:Knowledge of an Inquisitor dark path will allow use of both life and death magic to destroy the unrighteous from a distance. This soul's destructive power adds to the ranged power of a Cabalist. An Inquisitor possesses limited healing power, and a cleric will often find it insufficient by itself. The Inquisitor's dark path also provides the ability to castigate one's enemies, slowing and frightening them, while exhorting one's allies, enhancing them and increasing their courage.

Cabalist->Druid: Druidic lore will provide healing and some martial power to a cleric. Unfortunately, a Druid's hand-to-hand combat abilities against one enemy at a time mix poorly with the Cabalist's ability to attack many enemies at range. Druidic spells, and a druid's fairy ally, will provide healing and protection for a cleric. Druidic Lore provides only one multiple enemy attack to add to the Cabalists destructive power.

Cabalist->Justicar:Knowledge of the warrior way of the Justicar will provide martial skill and healing power for a cleric. Unfortunately, a Justicar's hand-to-hand combat abilities against one enemy at a time mix poorly with the Cabalist's ability to attack many enemies at range. A Justicar can provide healing for a cleric, but care must be taken to nurture the decent healing power a Justicar has. A Justicar's healing is weak without the proper knowledge and spells. The Justicar's way will provide only one additional multiple enemy attack to add to the Cabalists destructive power.

Cabalist->Purifier:The way of a Purifier is focused on healing and protective spells, and can provide all the healing a cleric would need. With a little knowledge of the Purifier's way, a cleric can even raise the dead. Damage? Is that what you do with that pointy stick?

Cabalist->Sentinel:A Sentinel's knowledge allows both the hurling or destructive spells and the healing of wounds. . A Sentinel's destructive ranged spells will increase the destructive power of a Cabalist. A Sentinel's spells can provide healing for a cleric. With a little knowledge of the Sentinel's path, a cleric can even raise the dead.

Cabalist->Shaman: The Shaman's path focuses on up-close-and-personal violence. Unfortunately, a Shaman's hand-to-hand combat abilities against one enemy at a time mix poorly with the Cabalist's ability to attack many enemies at range. Both also lack significant healing magic. The Shaman's path provides only a limited number of multiple enemy attacks to add to the Cabalists hurled spells, and those are achieved only far into the Shaman's path.

Cabalist->Templar:The Templar provides knowledge and abilities useful for player versus player combat.

Cabalist->Warden:The way of a Warden is focused on healing with some additional destructive spells. The Warden's somewhat destructive ranged spells will increase the destructive power of a Cabalist. The Warden's knowledge can provide healing for a cleric. With moderate knowledge of the way of the Warden, a cleric can even raise the dead.
    Last edited by Themistocles; 02-11-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Shadowlander

All of this is going on the assumption that no one will ever read ability descriptions? I'm sorry but if you can't read "ability requires this ability" then you probably shouldn't be playing any rpg, ever. Rift has some of those most accurate and detailed tooltips of any MMO.

Also, respecing is cheap.

Rift Disciple

A guide is great, but I think you're being overly dramatic. The majority of players drawn to Rift are going to be coming from other MMOs and understand how to read spell descriptions. You'll find that most people that don't read talents and spells are copy pasting builds from knowledgeable sites and people, either way they will get the spells and dependencies they need.

Regardless, this is an MMO, having to reroll after five hours of play... come on, people don't blink about restarting after five hours when they decide they don't like their hair color.

Oly

A good guide would have links to the data and builds that go along with the soul combination.

Nice try though. :P

Plane Touched

In games where you could "pick your powers" like City of Heroes, I have seen a number of people skip key powers. I myself used a totally useless power for something like 40 hours of play because I didn't factor in "casting time". It was embarrassingly obvious the first time someone questioned my posted damage rotation, and that is the point. This kind of thing can happen to many people. I have caught many people in City of Heroes not using "staple" powers. Not one, not two, many. And I only caught those because I had played the class so I was like "Where is the vine animation"? or "Why don't the robots have a red light in the middle of their head?". I'm sure there was many more I didn't catch.

Even veteran players may have trouble, because having to use two souls to have a full DPS rotation is entirely new for a WoW player. The ability to mis-match melee soul and range soul, multiple-target soul and single-target soul is new. Also, the possibility of accidentally "leaving out" key ingredients like a single-target heal or some form of mana-regeneration is new to. Even a solo playing DPS cleric should pick up some form of healing for himself and some form of mana-regeneration... in my opinion, but I think I'm right. These "class balance" issues are normally handled by the developers for you.

It's easy for a new player to get distracted by all the new shiny toys and miss something critical. Sure, after you've identified the critical things you "see" them easily. In fact, that's exactly what I thought after taking a good look at my "high damage" City of Heroes power. Why look, that power has twice the casting time of most others, so it's good damage isn't good at all. Well, that was stupid. The difference is, I only lowered my damage by less than 20%. Considerably worse is possible here.

Nearly all new players can handle this, but they need to be walked through it once before they can do it themselves. Nobody needs to tell me about factoring "casting time" into DPS anymore, but I missed it the first time, sure enough.

+ Reply to Thread