+ Reply to Thread

Thread: On "Blood traits" vs Racials

Shadowlander

Default On "Blood traits" vs Racials

I saw a thread in the Beta forums which are gone now that I'd love to resurrect.

"Blood traits". The ability, at character creation, to pick your racial. I understand that there are two camps on racials. I do not know which is the majority so assuming they are even--

There are those, like me, that want diversity in racials.. You have different races, they should have specialties. As long as the game allows any race to be any class, we should be granted a bonus. Maybe the old racials should have been tweaked, but not removed.

Take FFXI for instance, Galka were big dumb creatures, they were terrible casters (low int) but were pretty strong and had high fortitude so had the highest HP. Elven were better fighters but not as tough as galka. They were noble and had high MND (INT for white magic, basically) and low INT. They had low mp though. Hume was the balance class. Hume were good at everything, great at nothing. Mithra were about even with Hume but lost a little of other stats to gain more dexterity than anyone else (they were cat people, they were agile). Taru, the smallest were the ideal glass cannons, they had low hp but high mp and high int. Nothing took something's health to 0 like a tarutaru black mage.

There are those that want race to mean little more than the appearance of your character because they want to look however they like without suffering some hit in stats because they want to an Eth DPS.

They aren't wrong either. So I think the blood trait route that someone else suggested would be best. Perhaps the choice should present itself at level 1 and 1 more time at 20 or 50 so that a newbie, realizing they made a mistake, doesn't forever regret it. Perhaps after this one change, re-aligning your blood trait could even be a great gold-sink since games like to see some gold flushed to oblivion. This would have little impact on the more casual people but the number crunching min-maxers, beyond a first free safety-net change, would have to pay a considerable amount to get that extra edge.

Thanks.

Blood Traits have been nerfed down to the basic 3.
    +10 strength, +10 Intel, +10 Dex

That is your choice.
    After that the activated racial is just junk.

So in effect the Blood trait and racial are basically nothing.

Maybe +10 Strength is as it adds directly to attack power and that is always good.

Even then, +10 to a stat means nothing.

I feel bad for dwarves, they get less damage taken from falling. Yay!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Amorascus View Post
    Even then, +10 to a stat means nothing.

I feel bad for dwarves, they get less damage taken from falling. Yay!
    Which is EXACTLY why there shouldn't be racial abilities, just a special ability which can be chosen at character creation. This creates BALANCE which is very important.

You give a race +70 run speed buff and Dwarves get to fall off a mountain for less damage? How is that even remotely comparable?

There should just be special abilites chosen at character creation. If someone WANTS to jump off cliffs all day, so be it, but personally I would take the flying or jumping or running buffs over that crap.

Same with the ++s to stats. You should be able to choose what you get the +10 in which stat.

You can say it doesn't matter in the long run, and maybe it doesn't or maybe it does. We really dont know if there are stat caps or not in this game.

I personally, would like to be a dwarven mage, if I want to be, and I dont think I should be penalized by having some stupid fall ability and less intelligence than any other mage in the game
    Last edited by yewkon; 02-11-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Maybe have star signs that affect stats/give special abilities instead?
    Or some special skills given to you if you were "resurrected" under the influence of a certain plane. (Heal boost for life, enemy heal decrease for death, perhaps?)

Blood traits sound like A/AB/B/O blood personalities, and I don't think its feasible for different species to have the same types of blood? O_o
    S♥NE | 소원 | Malaysian

Soulwalker

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Are you really going to tell me that a Kelhari is going to be as strong as those brute Bahmi's? and even if you look through out our own Human history different races had differences about them depending on where they lived, How they were Trained, What they did. So you are all complaining that Race X has Jump off CLiff and Live and Race Y can Swim better?

All the bickering is just pointless really because Racial Traits are and should be based on the HISTORY OF THE RACE.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Taymok View Post
    I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Are you really going to tell me that a Kelhari is going to be as strong as those brute Bahmi's? and even if you look through out our own Human history different races had differences about them depending on where they lived, How they were Trained, What they did. So you are all complaining that Race X has Jump off CLiff and Live and Race Y can Swim better?

All the bickering is just pointless really because Racial Traits are and should be based on the HISTORY OF THE RACE.
    why do people awlays bring "logic" into a video game about fanatsy worlds and races? what if your bahmi is a reject and bookworm, and the kelhari is a freak and can bench 1000 pounds? many people do not want to be pigeon-holed into picking a race they do not like because the stats are better for their chosen class. in games you make excpetions for the sake of gamplay, this is one of those. yes maybe you should base traits on the history, but is that better than giveing people the option?

I really dont want every kelari to be a rogue, every bahmi to be a mage blah blah, its predictable and boring. Give people a pool of traits to pick from, and there is no problem with balance. even if the buff is +1 dex, people will feel that kelari is the better rogue because it has a meaningless +1 dex.

the abillties either need to be complete fluff, removed, or be able to be picked.
    Last edited by Archfiend_DD; 02-11-2011 at 04:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread