+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: The utility class

  1. #1
    Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Arithion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,048

    Default The utility class

    Now I know there's already been a (sort of) thread on enchanters/crowd control/controller classes.

    But what always stood out to me about my enchanter classes - was not only their awesome crowd control (when played decently), but the utility they brought to a raid.
    Most of our spells were on the lower end of damage with a secondary component to reduce armour, slow attack speed etc (at least for the Coercer in EQ2). We had direct debuffs, some on a cool down. And crowd control (limited by timers in EQ2 and limited by skill and the charisma stat in EQ1)

    What I would love to see is a class played for utility like the enchanters used to be (at least that was a large part of my attraction to the class) - instead of a bit of utility scattered to every single class in the game.

    Now, don't get me wrong here. The enchanters never had ALL the utility. Pretty much every class had something - some more than others, but the enchanter and bards stood out as what I would call a utility class.

    Debuffs can be applied in the form of dots, or direct damage spells

    Buffs
    • Mana regen
    • haste for casters
    • haste for melee
    • hate
    • de-agro
    • dmg increase
    • armour increase
    • stat increases (multiple applicable for different classes)
    • % more healing taken
    • + to faction - to faction
    • magic resistance

    De-Buffs
    • periodic dmg taken increase for mobs/pvp
    • armour decrease
    • stat decrease
    • attack slow
    • % less healing taken
    • magic resistance (overall - all schools)
    • more susceptible to piercing/slashing/crushing etc

    Crowd Control
    • limited Mezmerize
    • Distraction (like one of the psi spells in VG)
    • Charm (complete with the dangers that should be involved)

    Also:
    a certain stat which allowed debuffs to land easier/or charms and mesmerizes to land easier the higher it gets (ie: charisma in original EQ)

    People may not agree with me - many may want the casters to all get an intelligence buff, and the melee to all get their own haste buffs. And I'm fine with that. What I want the utility class to bring to a group/raid - is simply adding strength to the group/raid in all different forms.

    I wonder if there are people out there, like me, who loved to play a class that supported the rest of the raid. The buffs and debuffs, need to be kept on at all times - and an eye out for CC when it might be necessary. Making sure your rotation of debuffs fits the mob you're fighting, and are kept up at all times - compensating for resists.

    So - what do YOU think of a utility class?
    The Rift Podcast Site

    Telarapedia | RiftIRC
    Level 50 Bahmi Warrior - Greybriar - Primal

  2. #2
    Ascendant Kula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    I played a bard in EQ1 and the fact that I could make every group and raid work better and smooth the edges off encounters in so many ways was the reason I loved the class. I don't think any other class in any other game could do quite as many things (although not an expert in any) made every time I logged in different depending on what I was doing.

    Please please please give us the ability to collect souls that add up to a true utility class!

  3. #3
    Champion of Telara g0kuenuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    the Chanter class is Aion was pretty cool
    backup healer and support (AMAZING BUFFS and AURAS)

  4. #4
    Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Arithion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    I played a bard in EQ1 and the fact that I could make every group and raid work better and smooth the edges off encounters in so many ways was the reason I loved the class. I don't think any other class in any other game could do quite as many things (although not an expert in any) made every time I logged in different depending on what I was doing.

    Please please please give us the ability to collect souls that add up to a true utility class!
    I loved bards, furthermore I loved grouping with bards. And healer groups? loved having a bard for mana song. Not many bards could twist songs as effectively as others(and I think this had a lot to do with dial up lol), but when they were good they were damn good. I'd be ecstatic if an eq1 type bard class were available.

    Quote Originally Posted by g0kuenuan View Post
    the Chanter class is Aion was pretty cool
    backup healer and support (AMAZING BUFFS and AURAS)
    Yeah I played the Chanter. It wasn't precisely what I'd want in a utility class, but I did love it. It was a mixture of a LOTRO captain and an eq bard. Fantastic class and strong if you chose the right stigmas etc. Back up healer with some debuffs and a choice of buffs.
    Not exactly what I wanted, but it was the closest I got in that game - and I did enjoy the class, if not the game
    The Rift Podcast Site

    Telarapedia | RiftIRC
    Level 50 Bahmi Warrior - Greybriar - Primal

  5. #5
    Ascendant Elladar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Graveyard
    Posts
    2,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arithion View Post
    ............
    So - what do YOU think of a utility class?
    I would want to see some sort of Utility class in this game, brings variety to the game, also im sure that some people would enjoy this type of gameplay. As long as this class can not directly compete with caster dps or healers!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Hanlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nightmares
    Posts
    2,729

    Default

    My 80 Coercer approves of such a class.

    Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

  7. #7
    Rift Master Faelor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    605

    Default

    It's that time again!

    *lights begin flashing as if a game show were starting up*

    FAELOR... IS... THE... DEVIL'S ADVOCATE!

    Faelor is not affiliated, sponsored or does business for the devil. This is subject to change.

    Why do you prefer a "utility class" over having their abilities spread throughout the class spectrum?

    Yes, this is going to open a can of words about balance, preferences, and the dreaded word FUN. Begin!
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

  8. #8
    Ascendant Liziana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faelor View Post
    It's that time again!

    *lights begin flashing as if a game show were starting up*

    FAELOR... IS... THE... DEVIL'S ADVOCATE!

    Faelor is not affiliated, sponsored or does business for the devil. This is subject to change.

    Why do you prefer a "utility class" over having their abilities spread throughout the class spectrum?

    Yes, this is going to open a can of words about balance, preferences, and the dreaded word FUN. Begin!
    Fun! that's why...it's fun to play a class that is perfectly in balance with the preferences of the player! (haha...howzat?)
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

  9. #9
    Sword of Telara souper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Utility classes started falling out in favor of spreading out the utility. Gives everyone a little more usefulness in a group, makes that single class less 'necessary', and I'm guessing makes balancing easier. However, I like those classes and wouldn't mind seeing one if the 32 classes are all unique. I'm guessing with the soul system (if it works like I imagine) you'll be able to take a class with moderate utility and stack up on extra to achieve such a playstyle. I'll probably do that.

  10. #10
    Sword of Telara souper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faelor View Post
    Why do you prefer a "utility class" over having their abilities spread throughout the class spectrum?
    I don't "prefer" it but I enjoy healing/support classes with lots of utility over raw numbers so I'd vouch for there being one. Buffs, debuffs, CC. I just think it's a more calculated playstyle in PvP. Spreading out the utility too much might hurt that playstyle but it's not impossible to maintain the "feeling" with a little effort. Hopefully Trion gets it right.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Hanlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nightmares
    Posts
    2,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faelor View Post
    It's that time again!

    *lights begin flashing as if a game show were starting up*

    FAELOR... IS... THE... DEVIL'S ADVOCATE!

    Faelor is not affiliated, sponsored or does business for the devil. This is subject to change.

    Why do you prefer a "utility class" over having their abilities spread throughout the class spectrum?

    Yes, this is going to open a can of words about balance, preferences, and the dreaded word FUN. Begin!
    Because some people don't like to dps / heal / tank as much as they do locking down everything in sight.

    Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

  12. #12
    Ascendant Europe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    Because some people don't like to dps / heal / tank as much as they do locking down everything in sight.
    I don't think CC is at the core of this issue.

    The question is...should there REALLY be a buff/debuff bot class?
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

  13. #13
    Champion of Telara Elth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    Because some people don't like to dps / heal / tank as much as they do locking down everything in sight.
    And that is the perfect response. I am hoping there are a few Utility classes to choose from. Maybe one of each stereotype?

    I love the enchanter/beguiler Idea.
    I would personally love a Thief Utility class as well.

    If we have an Enchanter a Thief and a Bard, what other Utility classes would be good? I am interested to see what we could come up with.

  14. #14
    Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Arithion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faelor View Post
    Why do you prefer a "utility class" over having their abilities spread throughout the class spectrum?
    I don't discourage other classes having utility. I don't think you read everything I wrote. What I would like is for classes to have things which benefit them directly, but a utility class who can help raise those benefits for the raid/group as a whole. Just like in EQ2 - you don't necessarily need more than one of these people per raid - that doesn't make them preferable over other classes. Keep their dps low and you balance it better so as not to chose a 2nd utility spot instead of a 2nd of a type of dps. In fact - if the same class can't stack debuffs - this allows a forced type of balance

    And for people like me, and
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    My 80 Coercer approves of such a class.
    - who obviuosly loved our 80 Coercers - it is preferable for us to play this type of assistance class than to care about pure dps and or heals. (Although there was that one bug that let Destructive mind or spell whip? that made me top the dps charts in a couple of specific fights haha - that was hilarious)

    Anyhow - the point is: This is the type of class I like to play most. I like to be the support class. Even more than I like to be a healer. To each their own - but there are people out there to whom this type of class would be the most fun

    Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    If we have an Enchanter a Thief and a Bard, what other Utility classes would be good? I am interested to see what we could come up with.
    Ooo like a Burglar in LOTRO? Is that what you mean by thief utility class? (I loved that class too)
    well I'm not sure we'd need more? Enchanter covers casters I guess... thieves and bards melee - would we need a tank based and healer based utility class?
    Last edited by Arithion; 05-28-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling *sighs*
    The Rift Podcast Site

    Telarapedia | RiftIRC
    Level 50 Bahmi Warrior - Greybriar - Primal

  15. #15
    Ascendant Hanlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nightmares
    Posts
    2,729

    Default

    I believe you are referring to when mobs started casting and the reactive would proc for ridiculous damage because of the mana they consumed.

    Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts