+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you play a healer?

Default Why do you play a healer?

I just wanted to get the opinions of people in the RIFT community about the healer class. Its called a lot of names but basically, its a support class in a party aspect. I'm excited that the healer class is being so expanded in this class than just a stereotypical healing bot in other games.

So why do you play a healer class, RIFT players?

Because I'm a masochist.

Quote Originally Posted by Delith View Post
    Because I'm a masochist.
    QFT (LOL)

Mostly, I find Clerics just more fun to play. Melee characters have 20 attack skills (of which you will use 3), whereas Clerics have some ATK, buffs, heals, debuffs and the like. Its much more entertaining and dynamic. You will never kill anybody, but meh. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kome View Post
    QFT (LOL)

Mostly, I find Clerics just more fun to play. Melee characters have 20 attack skills (of which you will use 3), whereas Clerics have some ATK, buffs, heals, debuffs and the like. Its much more entertaining and dynamic. You will never kill anybody, but meh. lol
    That was my most 'honest' answer, right there. But I do play them because I like healing more than DPSing. I like tanking too, but I also like to talk a lot and tanking does not open up as many opportunities to discuss things that are irrelevant while we beat in the face of something.

I also think I'm -good- at it when I am not typing or otherwise distracted by things I shouldn't be doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Delith View Post
    Because I'm a masochist.
    LOL. i aways <3 your responses!!!

I play a healer because I got tired of never getting heals as a dps. I will jump in and molest whoever is attacking my healer, but my healer won't heal me? So now my healer class is a spread the love type guy/girl (I usually play a female healer). Random person running down the path, here have a health and armor buff. Oh look someone having a hard time soloing the 6 mobs they accidentally pulled. Have some health back you poor soul. I heal everyone I see with a low health bar. It's fun. I loved the Rune Priest from WAR and the Chanter from Aion.

It's typically part of a persons core personality.

For clerics specifically I think I wrote several articles back in the day. - Page of Wrath

Hum looks like 'Holding Service' and 'A True Cleric' may have been the only ones.

I like to helps peeps, but I also like survival. Over the years I moved to paladin, to roguish withbard like bids, and sort of back to cleric. (Sort of because ive got a DK and Priest when playing WoW.)
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Telaran

Obnly started playing a healer in Vanguard and loved the part that people can be greatfull for your input as a healer.

Previously I played a bard. in the original EQ1 bards could shine with pulling and cc. Now and then a wow...well played is great.

Most new games as a bard...you buff people, and they take it for granted.

I know alot of people who play healers becuase they have better cc and dps than mdps and they can also heal and buff. Yeah it depends on the game, but just saying. In this instance I am referring to WAR, the king of imbalance.

I play healers because they are vital not nearly enough of them and because i like to imagine the 5+ dpsers all pulling their hair out cause i wont let them kill anyone
    "Sporadically making sense since 1985 - hope this was one of those times"

Rift Master

So you have that DPS guy who likes saying "your" instead of "you're" and likes "ur mom" jokes. He finds himself in a fix, he's dying, he asks for help. And here you are, staring on him, laughing at him, knowing that you can save him with a mere pass of a hand, his life is at your fingertips, you decide whether he lives or dies. He begs, jumps in front of you, swears in your face... and then he dies. And you dance on his corpse. Yes, that's why I love playing a healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinimas View Post
    So you have that DPS guy who likes saying "your" instead of "you're" and likes "ur mom" jokes. He finds himself in a fix, he's dying, he asks for help. And here you are, staring on him, laughing at him, knowing that you can save him with a mere pass of a hand, his life is at your fingertips, you decide whether he lives or dies. He begs, jumps in front of you, swears in your face... and then he dies. And you dance on his corpse. Yes, that's why I love playing a healer.
    You sound like a serial killer

Control

In most MMOs, success in almost any form leans more heavily on the quality of your healer(s) than just about any class. That is not to belittle the role of other classes, but even when other classes have responsibilities (DPS requirements, CC, complicated scripts), they require that their healer keeps them alive while doing it.
    Last edited by Debase; 11-22-2010 at 05:24 AM.
    Characters:
    EQ2 - Najena - Severex
    EQ2 - Najena - Debase
    EQ2 - Nagafen - Acappella
    Eq2Flames.com Handle: Debase

I started a few years back as a healer,mostly because i was fed up dealing with bad groups as a dps class,as a healer i found freedom to pick and choose my groups,i got to meet more people and actually discovered i was (according to my groups) a good healer.
    Im a relaxed person and enjoy finding quality fun people and knowing i can do my part of the job right,even if sum1 messes up in a group i have the abilities in my talents to quickly save the group from a wipe.
    Think ive played most every healing class i could get my hands on,i enjoyed druid in warcraft,cleric in aion and vanguard and im going to enjoy the cleric in this as well i hope.
    I like controlling the pace of the group,slowing down that foolhardy dps who likes to run ahead of the tank,hell if he runs outa my range....well how can i heal him,ooops

Soulwalker

Because healers are most able to help other people. A drive by healing on the lower lvl character who pulled more then he thought he was. A good healer can make up for a more poorly geared tank and vice versa. Hybrid healers are even harder to play well since you dont have as many heal spells as a full spec healer.

In EQ1 it was also the ability to provide temp buffs to other players that increased the communtity feel of the game. You helped someone else in the Plane of Knowledge and when they were looking for a healer later, they thought of you and sent a tell.

Healers are the most important class in a groups but they take a lot of concentration and skill to play well. If you are talking as a healer, either the fight is too easy for your group, you are using a bot macro program you are spamming, or you are using a voice communication program.

Anyone can dps, it takes skill and dedication to tank or heal well in challenging content and keep an eye on everyones health bars as well as your own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast