+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Controller Class?

Default Controller Class?

One of my favorite classes in City of Heroes, was a class that 'controlled' the battlefield. Able to crown control, and buff/debuff what's around him/her. Instead of a group of players being able to destroy everything all at once, it'd be nice to see some crowd control, with a class designed to do so.

Ah yes, my first character was an ice/storm controller. How I have fond memories of him.

I doubt we'll see a class that is as CC heavy as a CoH controller. The effects on PvP would be substantial and unfun for a lot. In CoH you could fly or super speed away and controllers were still very powerful early on.

I personally love CC classes so I do hope we do see something that is less damage oriented and instead focuses more on debuffing and light CC. No OMGgroupstunz though.

I mostly played controllers - even back in the early days before they became popular - but CoH style controllers are not something I'd want to see copied. Most of their control abilities are too strong for any MMO that includes PvP. And at least in the context of CoH's ATs, controllers (with secondaries that included healing etc.) were better defenders than defenders.

Though some of their softer forms of control might be ok, if weakened a bit. Eg. maybe a channeled aoe knockdown ala ice storm/ice slick/earthquake etc. could be good if it was only a 30-40% knockdown effect that ticked every 5 seconds. That could be useful in PvE and PvP without being overpowered.
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

Enchanter in EQ....used to really admire good players of that class, but then I love CC
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

Odd that they haven't made public a CC archetype yet. They've got one of each Tank, Heal and DPS don't they?

DAoC had a few of these as well. Midgards Healers, Hibby Bards, and after playing the Alb side for years I can't remember a CC classes in Alb as strong as either of those 2.

I LOVE cc |<---- thiiiiissss ---->| much! Its one of the best abilities/spells ingame, ok in pvp it can get really annoying, however if you know what you are doing, it can be fun preventing player from killing you with cc, while slowly corrupting and killing them!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Liziana View Post
    Enchanter in EQ....used to really admire good players of that class, but then I love CC
    Yep a good Chanter was great to have around a bad one though......good lord...

-Soon A developer term that is never as "soon" as you want it to be.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Arithion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liziana View Post
    I loved my class. Loved it so much I rerolled it on a progression server after a 3 year break from the game and played it to the (then) max level again.

I don't know if I was good, but I made it into my guild and people liked to group with me ;) I played a Coercer in EQ2 too. It's my class of choice and I love it. I'd almost kill for that type of class again. The REAL CC class.

And if people say we're too powerful in pvp - remember we wear cloth and are squishy - just watch out for us and get us before we can get you ;)

(OMG Group best of the best tournaments were awesome!)

If they have an enchanter type class - I'll play this game forever.
    The Rift Podcast Site

Telarapedia | RiftIRC
    Level 50 Bahmi Warrior - Greybriar - Primal

Grav / Storm troller reporting in..
    Oh the ragdoll physics.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

+ Reply to Thread