+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bladedancer Brainstorm Funtime

Default Bladedancer Brainstorm Funtime

I figured that since my idea in the UI mechanic thread was decently-received, I would expand on it for fun.

What I'm imagining is a 10 position bar (technically 11, but bare with me):
    12345|C|678910

Now we make up some abilities.

LEFT:
    Southpaw's Revenge, 1 Left Grace Point
    Offhand Assault, 3 LGP. 30 second cooldown.
    Sinister (etymologically means "left-handed." ha) Slaughter, consumes 5 LGP

Centered (that is, on the C): Reckless Gambit, 15s CD

Right:
    Dominant Divide, 1 Right Grace Point
    Righteous Sundering, 3 RGP, 30s CD.
    Stronghand Slash, consumes 5 RGP

Finally, an ability on a cooldown: Death Waltz. On a critical hit (autoattack or ability; may just have to be autoattack), you have a 50% chance to gain 1 Grace Point of the handedness of the attack.

An alternate idea for Death Waltz would be a proc that randomly bumps you 2 GP over. However, this could be more of a harm than help when you take into consideration the idea of cooldowns. Maybe rename it Rhythmic Jolt or something.

The overall playstyle is meant to be a back and forth between the two sides of the bar. However, my idea is that instead of having some kind of hokey specialization system, Bladedancers specialize in the most obvious thing: Right Hand Path vs Left Hand Path.

For the sake of flavor, each tree would need "soul points" that affect the Centered state...otherwise you just dump all your points into one side, and that kills the theme of balance and grace. But overall, you'd have cooldown reduction, maybe something that adds damage for each GP you have of that particular side. I think an ability that would push you 2 or 3 spots out of that side would be a valued thing on a reasonable cooldown; you know you need to get back to Centered to hit your big damage ability, so you bail and use it.

Thoughts?
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Heh... We DO have people with more than "Few" functional braincells! Seems like a nice idea, abit complex imo, however it can be used to, especially if it is implemented from LvL1. Eg left side - fast strike, right side - uber fast strike, and centre heavy/both hands strike. If you use left side too much, you wont be able to use centre, thus have to use right to balance it out so heavy can be done. However not all people would be able to output max damage using this strategy, some people prefer to mash 3-5 keys in repeating sequenses and find it entertaining.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    I figured that since my idea in the UI mechanic thread was decently-received, I would expand on it for fun.

12345|C|678910

Now we make up some abilities.

LEFT:
    Southpaw's Revenge, 1 Left Grace Point
    Offhand Assault, 3 LGP. 30 second cooldown.
    Sinister (etymologically means "left-handed." ha) Slaughter, consumes 5 LGP

Centered (that is, on the C): Reckless Gambit, 15s CD

Right:
    Dominant Divide, 1 Right Grace Point
    Righteous Sundering, 3 RGP, 30s CD.
    Stronghand Slash, consumes 5 RGP

Finally, an ability on a cooldown: Death Waltz. On a critical hit (autoattack or ability; may just have to be autoattack), you have a 50% chance to gain 1 Grace Point of the handedness of the attack.

An alternate idea for Death Waltz would be a proc that randomly bumps you 2 GP over. However, this could be more of a harm than help when you take into consideration the idea of cooldowns. Maybe rename it Rhythmic Jolt or something.

The overall playstyle is meant to be a back and forth between the two sides of the bar. However, my idea is that instead of having some kind of hokey specialization system, Bladedancers specialize in the most obvious thing: Right Hand Path vs Left Hand Path.

For the sake of flavor, each tree would need "soul points" that affect the Centered state...otherwise you just dump all your points into one side, and that kills the theme of balance and grace. But overall, you'd have cooldown reduction, maybe something that adds damage for each GP you have of that particular side. I think an ability that would push you 2 or 3 spots out of that side would be a valued thing on a reasonable cooldown; you know you need to get back to Centered to hit your big damage ability, so you bail and use it.

Thoughts?
    You just stormed my brain! My poor brain cell is dead now
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

Well, as long as you have alot more abilities to choose from and poot into your rotation, fine by me.
    Although, (sorry if I'm just being blind here) I didn't notice any incentive to use both hands...
    A simple damage bonus from using each side should do, (Something like the moonkins arcane/nature slider that comes in cataclysm ) or maybe even making each special attack (grace points consuming ones) will also consume a grace point or two from the other hand? Or both. Yep, definitely both.
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Skythe View Post
    Well, as long as you have alot more abilities to choose from and poot into your rotation, fine by me.
    Although, (sorry if I'm just being blind here) I didn't notice any incentive to use both hands...
    A simple damage bonus from using each side should do, (Something like the moonkins arcane/nature slider that comes in cataclysm ) or maybe even making each special attack (grace points consuming ones) will also consume a grace point or two from the other hand? Or both. Yep, definitely both.
    The incentive is sort of meant to be the cooldowns. You could stick with right, but after you use your 3 GP ability, your generation is limited in comparison to heading over to the other side.

There's also the idea of the jolt proc, in which case you simply don't know where you'll be. But yeah, the eclipse thing would work too, although that just turns into back and forth and back and forth. This idea is sort of taking the eclipse bar and making it more than back and forth, but also with a middle position that you need to return to. So you're sort of traveling all over the bar, and it's not the same every time.

edit: also, you can't have points on both sides at once. It's just a single position marker to show where you are on the bar.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Actually, it might be better for Death Waltz to give a grace point for the other hand. That way they want to use both hands so they don't waste a proc.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

It seems like something they could do. Maybe left-handed point builders are a little more utility oriented but the big left-hand finishers that uses up left-hand points do good damage. Right-handed point builders are maybe a little more damage oriented where-as the finishers are utility oriented.

It could add a little challenge into balancing the two sides and deciding when its worth sacrificing some damage for needed utility or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post

12345|C|678910

Thoughts?
    This is separate from the normal hotbar? Because it's fairly common for players to fill up several slots on their hotbar with potions, bandages and other such abilities they really need to keep on the hotbar for emergencies.

Just in terms of gameplay mechanics, what about toggle-able stances and attacks that each have a different effect based on approach (i.e. left, right, centered).

Have a key (or three) that toggle between left, right and centered attacks and as you change toggles, it changes the hotbar icon accordingly.

That way you access 15 attack abilities with 6 keys, and leave room on your hotbar for extra stuff.
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

What about Ambi-dextrous Blade dancers?

Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    What about Ambi-dextrous Blade dancers?
    Doesn't dual-wielding imply a level of ambidexterity? At the very least it shouldn't really matter given both hands are being used.

Now, if the Bladedancer had lost an arm in battle that would throw a wrench into the system.

very interesting concept, however not something that would take quite some practise to master and optimize. I like it, however 1 bar I dunno I am affraid I would get bored with a limitation of 5 buttons per hand.

Then again if you limit it to offensive abilities only (like most of your examples) you end up with 10 diff damage abilities on cooldowns and such I think that should be allright aslong as you have additional abilities that are not tied to the side you are on. (also not counting center state)

I personally would also like it if you could have one or two abilities that would utilize both hands at the same time.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

While it is an interesting concept, Many people will find it confusing.

This class looks really compelling to me.

I'm going to spout an idea of mine, since we're all in that kind of space, it seems.

Would it be too far-fetched to imagine this class being able to spec for two-handers as well as dual wield?

Dual Wield = steady stream of damage from constant flurry of blows, keeping a steady balance of defense and offense (with the ability to lean one way or the other with abilities, of course)

Two hander = spikes of damage, instead of a steady flurry. Working in the extremes of defense and offense.

This reminds me of my favorite discipline in Shadowbane: the Blademaster >

Some might say "dude, that's totally a warrior spec" I would nod, and say that so is dual wield. I see this class is a lighter, faster champion. Which rules.

/twocents

-Grimm

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post

I'm going to spout an idea of mine, since we're all in that kind of space, it seems.

Would it be too far-fetched to imagine this class being able to spec for two-handers as well as dual wield?

Dual Wield = steady stream of damage from constant flurry of blows, keeping a steady balance of defense and offense (with the ability to lean one way or the other with abilities, of course)

Two hander = spikes of damage, instead of a steady flurry. Working in the extremes of defense and offense.

Some might say "dude, that's totally a warrior spec" I would nod, and say that so is dual wield. I see this class is a lighter, faster champion. Which rules.

/twocents

-Grimm

Welcome and glad to see you contributing! Please, introduce yourself!

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post

/twocents

-Grimm
    It's possible but I don't think that's the point of the Blade Dancer. For them, it's about being quick and nimble so daggers or other 1-handed weapons would work best I'd imagine. With the class system as it is though, there's nothing stopping Trion from making a 2-hander using Rogue. No info on one yet however.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast