+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Class System - Make or Break the game (For Me)

Telaran

Default Class System - Make or Break the game (For Me)

We have any idea whats it is on?
    I dear to god hope that it doesnt let you traverse on many playing fields. If your a mage, I would love for you to be along the Mage fighting lines. I.E, be a sorcerer path with soul absorption, or a blood mage with soul absorption, Not become a Mage Warrior, that would not be for me Imo.

No we have no details.

Originally they planned to allow players to change class entirely at trainers. They've since abandoned that. We have no details on the new system except that a vague promise that it retains the flexibility of the original one.

There are already multiple threads on this topic, eg.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...406-Class-Swap

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...static-classes

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?359-Class-Archetype-Structure

Wait till E3 and then we will most likely hear or shortly after, that is my guess at least considering it will be a major part of the game. I honestly don't expect them to just hammer on RIFTs at the E3.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...1/feature/4207

There is a part in that write up where he mentions that the Den had taken this character he was demoing "down the Inquisitor path" when i read that my mind went right to EQ2.

I believe that the game is broken into 4 classes initially, which can then take down the numerous professions we've seen listed on the forums thus far. Rogue, Mage, Fighter, Cleric would stand as our four base classes from which all balance primarily flows and then each prestige class would be a make on one of the four.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalagrim View Post
    I believe that the game is broken into 4 classes initially, which can then take down the numerous professions we've seen listed on the forums thus far. Rogue, Mage, Fighter, Cleric would stand as our four base classes from which all balance primarily flows and then each prestige class would be a make on one of the four.
    That would work for me, it is what EQ2 had when it first came out and I liked it.

Class system, yes, but also the combat system, which was my main gripe in EQ2 and Conan. EQ2 had too many meaningless abilities to play whack a mole with (the right ability is the one not on cooldown), and the directional combo system of Conan burnt too many hotkeys before you even put the interesting abilities on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by tmurkle View Post
    Not become a Mage Warrior, that would not be for me Imo.
    Oh God, I hope that does not happen. Can you imagine mage running around in plate armour?? Thats literally an unkillable class!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    Oh God, I hope that does not happen. Can you imagine mage running around in plate armour?? Thats literally an unkillable class!
    I'm picturing Neo as Iron Man here. Would be fun to try and kill though

I've been wondering how far the multi-classing will go. Maybe we'll be able to build a combination from any of the basic types. tank +heal +dps +stealth, for example. Or maybe restricted to two base classes.

Hopefully, we won't end up with like only 2 or 3 good class combinations that everyone and their brother builds.

Welcome to live ..life awaits you

Quote Originally Posted by Berjah View Post
    I'm picturing Neo as Iron Man here. Would be fun to try and kill though

I've been wondering how far the multi-classing will go. Maybe we'll be able to build a combination from any of the basic types. tank +heal +dps +stealth, for example. Or maybe restricted to two base classes.

Hopefully, we won't end up with like only 2 or 3 good class combinations that everyone and their brother builds.
    There is no more multi-classing. Regardless, flavor of the month classes/builds will always exist. That goes double with 32 potentially available classes.

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    There is no more multi-classing. Regardless, flavor of the month classes/builds will always exist. That goes double with 32 potentially available classes.
    Isn't the "absorb souls" thing a form of multi-classing?

Welcome to live ..life awaits you

Quote Originally Posted by Berjah View Post
    Isn't the "absorb souls" thing a form of multi-classing?
    We don't know the details but the entire system has changed according to recent previews. I'm sure the goal is the same but the way of achieving it is different.

It seems that although you are limited to one primary class, you can dabble in multiple soul tree disciplines. Hopefully this multi-sub-classing will be advantageous rather than making one a social pariah for not having the highest ability on a particular soul tree.

I hope the comments are true. Multiclassing makes for a jumble of odd-ball combos and no definitive classes or roles. While this can seem appealing to some due to the possibilities, I find it very unappealing. I hope that the additional souls possible offer unique abilities dependent on the primary class, or something along those lines. Heck, I would honestly be happy with ONE specialized class on top of the root. Too much complexity and options makes for lots of bad builds with a few core choices that everyone will pick.

And a mage running around in plate or even one casting then commenting "but I have melee spec abilities too!" would make me want to scream.

Telaran

A form of multi-classing if it can be called that will likely still exist, but merely to a more limited manner than the original concept before the current soul system. There has already been hinted at souls within archetypes that usually don't fall into a particular archetype traditionally. This means there maybe spell-casting warriors, healing rogues, and melee magi among many odd less conventional specialization trees.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast