+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Can you help me make a new pet build

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    Even if does little damage, a combat pet can still be a star by holding aggro while the Rogue, Mage or Cleric burns down the enemy.

A combat pet is also nice for distracting mobs while you harvest herbs, mine ore or grab a quest item.

If I find myself overmatched against a mob, the pet can occupy the mob long enough for me to mount up and beat a hasty retreat.

Often I'll be riding along and get dismounted by a mob. Instead of wasting time fighting it, I just sic the pet on it, mount up and ride away.
    And that's the idea; literaly oneshotting 1-12 mobs fixes all the issues above.
    It's a choosen playstyle but nothing the Ranger provides right now but Diffuse is first choice.
    PoA is so easy and every fresh 70 already so overgeared that alot of things appear useful - which ofc is fine if you enjoy it. - but they are on no list of good picks or recommendation as main build for new players.
    This ofcourse is not the fault of Ranger mains or the ones encouraging new people to try different things.
    But things like Ranger, Druid, Necro, Maelstorm, Dervish, Champion, Reaver and Tempest may only appear good as long as used with no competition.

You quickly become strong enough that killing 20 Vp elites at once is faster than trying to outsmart bots.

I apprechiate the diversity that people discover after 4 years of playing the expansion- but i also think that it's not fair over- promoting guily pleasure specs for general use.

There surely is a demand for Ranger - but it's mainly for cosmetic purposes as it is rn.

The 1 second saved mounting up here and there will fire back in 5+ seconds on every mob engaged.
    And while you browse, read and find help - consider leaving a like.
    It doesn't mean anything but to the author.

Shadowlander

Ok so I apologize. I redid my points and it is a LOT better now. My pet still isn't very tanky for being a tank pet BUT, he does better damage now and so do I, now that I changed my rotation and have a better idea of what abilities to use and when.

Quote Originally Posted by Thentix View Post
    Ok so I apologize. I redid my points and it is a LOT better now. My pet still isn't very tanky for being a tank pet BUT, he does better damage now and so do I, now that I changed my rotation and have a better idea of what abilities to use and when.
    You mean Ranger? It was very good when the soultrees got reworked for Storm Legion.

It is only lvl 64+ (aka where you spend most time) where it doesn't even lose. It's just that other souls get alot more boni, raising the benchmark.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    You mean Ranger? It was very good when the soultrees got reworked for Storm Legion.

It is only lvl 64+ (aka where you spend most time) where it doesn't even lose. It's just that other souls get alot more boni, raising the benchmark.
    No, the beastmaster I mean. Though based on this playstyle, I probably would not like to play this in a group or raid lol. Too many things to worry about and buffs to use. I don't care much for ranged + pet playstyles. The ONLY 2 I have ever liked that way was the warlock in WoW and the amazingly done Mastermind in city of heroes. I prefer to be melee either dps or tank with a dps or tank pet.

That is why the more you guys help me, the more I am leaning towards no pet class at all. I want my pet to be able to never lose aggro and be able to keep the pet alive and it seems like that is not something that will be viable 60+.
    Last edited by Thentix; 02-04-2021 at 02:02 PM.

No, the beastmaster I mean. Though based on this playstyle, I probably would not like to play this in a group or raid lol. Too many things to worry about and buffs to use.
    Unfortunately for you, that is exactly where Beastmaster is intended to be. It's a Support soul, meaning it's designed to be in a group and buff everyone else around you so they can perform better than they would have without you being there. The fact that it CAN do things on its own quite well is just a bonus, but the intended use for a Support soul is group play.

That is why the more you guys help me, the more I am leaning towards no pet class at all. I want my pet to be able to never lose aggro and be able to keep the pet alive and it seems like that is not something that will be viable 60+.
    Even the Voidwalker of WoW Warlocks can still lose aggro and can still die if you're not very careful. Same goes for Hunter and their pets, the equivalent of Ranger here. Keep in mind that damage in/out and HP scales differently at higher levels. Eventually your pet will lose more survivability than it gains in damage versus same-level mobs, so you will spend more time healing the pet than doing actual damage. Or if you tank and the pet does damage, you will spend more time trying to keep yourself alive, until you eventually get fed up and just nuke the enemy yourself.

Of all the MMOs I've played, none have had a pet class that was able to do what you wanted, unless you put a ton of effort into maxing all possible stats and then did very specific content in specific ways. One example is Anarchy Online, the Bureaucrat and Engineer classes. Building robots to do all the fighting for you. In that game, wearing gear was based on your stats instead of your level. The game has various buffs with fixed stat increases, not percentages, so the process would be to get the highest possible stat buff you could, then wear the best possible gear you could with those new stats. Once wearing new gear, you would have even higher stats and if you swapped pieces out, one by one, you would eventually be able to wear gear that outranked you to the extremes. In Rift terms, a level 10 could wear level 50 gear. With level 50 stats once the buff wore off. Now, in that game, spells also becomes available based on your stats, which is the whole point of doing this in that game. That also means higher level pets, of which there are so many because they do not scale with level, would be available at lower levels. Essentially you would run around doing lowbie content, at lowbie levels, with a near-endgame robot doing all the killing for you. That is extremely overpowered but it takes a LOT of effort to get to that point and can only be done because of the way that game is designed.

But for most MMOs, it just won't work. A pet has to be a supplement to a class, not take over the role of the class. If you make a pet that can tank extremely well and the player can easily keep it alive, why bother run a 5-man dungeon with a tank and healer? Just get 4 DPS and the pet-class. If the player can tank and keep itself alive and the pet does massive damage, why bring a healer? And why play anything other than that class in pretty much any solo content? Why bother with a warrior playing the fantasy of Barbarian, the unarmored berserker that does a ton of damage, if you can be a Beastmaster and the pet does twice as much by itself? What's the point in a typical glass-cannon Mage if you can spec Elementalist and do the same amount of damage, but your Elemental makes sure you never take a hit?

It all comes down to balance and for this game, pet classes haven't been balanced in years. Not to the point of actually being worth using in endgame content and not really playing well in outdoor content either. Speaking as a Rogue main, I too liked the Ranger build and I too played it for a loooong time, both while leveling and at max level for the expansions. I eventually got frustrated with the amount of dying I did in open world content, because comparing myself to the Hunter of WoW, that was easy and this was hard. I didn't get it until I tried other specs. And I found that my damage output actually sucked. No matter what I did, I just couldn't put out enough damage that mobs would die in a reasonable time, while at the same time keeping my pet alive and not take aggro. In the end, if I got more than two mobs, I would have to make sure some of them would attack me instead of my pet, or we would both die. We would both end the fight with low hp, but we would live. Barely. That wasn't fun. That wasn't what I wanted the Ranger to be like. That was nothing like the Hunter I knew and loved playing in WoW. So I changed my spec. A couple of times, just to get a feel for different playstyles. Now I have a tank spec, a support-healer spec, a melee spec for those few times where I want to just do something different, and then my ranged spec. Marksman. Because that one destroys everything in seconds without much of a care, where my Ranger would take minutes and barely come out alive, if at all.

Okay, this post is now a lot longer than expected, but I do hope you get the point: Petspecs can be fun, but they will eventually end up more frustrating due to crappy balance. You would be better off finding something else. I did and I don't plan on going back.
    Last edited by Ambrodel; 02-04-2021 at 04:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBonny View Post
    We still want to give you a small hint: communication, support and entertainment are our three main concerns and you can count on some changes and improvements in this direction.
    We are all gamers and we understand how important transparency and open-mindedness are
    First lies told by Gamigo

Best petclass was Storm Legion Defiler.
    Literaly making 4 players your b***h

Without Eternal Weapon and Legendary points, pretty much everything is around ca. 550k on bis gear.
    The Souls simply have wildly different Legendary qualities and Eternal synergy.

Ranger 800k
    Necro 1m (600k from offsouls)
    Ele 1.35
    Druid 1.62 (half that on changing targets)
    Beast Master 880k

Range of bis St dps options is 1.45m - 1.65m

Big ****up as Tentix figured is, that Warrior takes Warchanter for almost everything and has the most oppressively p2w dlc.

Rogue and Mage are the best long term deal with 2 of the 3 dlc packs, With mage Harbinger fitting his ideas of a flex melee better than the Rogue options.
    Last edited by Shas; 02-04-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Amazing stuff.
    Yes, I do get the point. Thanks a lot. You guys have really helped me. I understand things in the game a lot better now. Very grateful.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    If you make a pet that can tank extremely well and the player can easily keep it alive, why bother run a 5-man dungeon with a tank and healer? Just get 4 DPS and the pet-class. If the player can tank and keep itself alive and the pet does massive damage, why bring a healer?
    In WoW, my hunter and tank pet would routinely solo lower level dungeons at level, e.g. an actual level 20 hunter against level 20 bosses in Wailing Caverns. It required careful pulls but it was doable. That was 5+ years ago so don't know what it is like now. I never tried soloing Rift dungeons like that so don't know what is possible.

In Archeage, every class and build can use a combat pet, which is a very nice feature. Some seemed rather powerful, like the Wolf and Mini-Miner. When you first get a combat pet, it can be about 10 levels above you, so it is doing most of the damage until you catch up to it.

Shadowlander

Best petclass was Storm Legion Defiler.
    Literaly making 4 players your b***h

Without Eternal Weapon and Legendary points, pretty much everything is around ca. 550k on bis gear.
    The Souls simply have wildly different Legendary qualities and Eternal synergy.

Ranger 800k
    Necro 1m (600k from offsouls)
    Ele 1.35
    Druid 1.62 (half that on changing targets)
    Beast Master 880k

Range of bis St dps options is 1.45m - 1.65m

Big ****up as Tentix figured is, that Warrior takes Warchanter for almost everything and has the most oppressively p2w dlc.

Rogue and Mage are the best long term deal with 2 of the 3 dlc packs, With mage Harbinger fitting his ideas of a flex melee better than the Rogue options.
    Oh, I also have primalist if that helps expand the choices some. Forgot to mention that, sorry, since they didn't have a pet class and I also hear they are terrible for soloing open world content/questing.

Oh, I also have primalist if that helps expand the choices some. Forgot to mention that, sorry, since they didn't have a pet class and I also hear they are terrible for soloing open world content/questing.
    Primalist is pretty much the opposite of a solo class.

It is awkward for leveling and quests but exceeds in filling exactly the necessary gaps in a group.

-> The pts test shard is still open. You can literaly create lvl 70 test chars in bis gear to test around.

Shadowlander

Primalist is pretty much the opposite of a solo class.

It is awkward for leveling and quests but exceeds in filling exactly the necessary gaps in a group.

-> The pts test shard is still open. You can literaly create lvl 70 test chars in bis gear to test around.
    Oh, did not know that. Thank you! I will go check it out.

Oh, did not know that. Thank you! I will go check it out.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...using-pts.html

Cad has your back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2