+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bamul

Thread: Best teammate for a Ranger?

Default Best teammate for a Ranger?

Hello all, I just started earlier this week. And my wife will be playing soon (after video card upgrade), anyway she plays Rangers, I have played a little bit of everything from Tanks to Healers.

So we play mainly open world and gather resources and craft. I already have already a lvl 14 Dwarven Ranger. And I am on Deepwood. I will do raids and dungeons, while she most of the time will not.

So will two Rangers work okay together? I mean I know there will be times we will get hammered, and there is no way to stop that.

Or should I roll up a Cleric? Or a Warrior?

I know the basics of the soul system (still reading), and so I realize the Rift system is more open that other MMOs we have played.
    Last edited by ChaosKen1960; 07-04-2018 at 03:15 AM.

Sword of Telara

The open world content on the live servers is so simple that it doesn't really matter what you play for classes. To make faster progress you should play both DPS roles with a little self-healing and look for a level guide in the forum because as a beginner you are not immediately aware of the synergy effects of the individual souls. I think finding low level dungeon groups on the live server is almost impossible, you probably have better chances if you play on the prime server.

If you're not in a hurry, play what you want and experiment with the souls around because that's the great strength of Rift and experimenting with the souls is the most fun.

What you play during the level process usually has little to do with what you will play in the endgame since with level 70 and the legendary skills everything will change.
    Last edited by Bamul; 07-04-2018 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    The open world content on the live servers is so simple that it doesn't really matter what you play for classes. To make faster progress you should play both DPS roles with a little self-healing and look for a level guide in the forum because as a beginner you are not immediately aware of the synergy effects of the individual souls. I think finding low level dungeon groups on the live server is almost impossible, you probably have better chances if you play on the prime server.

If you're not in a hurry, play what you want and experiment with the souls around because that's the great strength of Rift and experimenting with the souls is the most fun.
    Okay thanks for the info, I tried Prime, but I thought Rift Live was the main game?

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosKen1960 View Post
    Okay thanks for the info, I tried Prime, but I thought Rift Live was the main game?
    Rift Live was the main game but at the moment most of the developers work seems to flow into Prime. Live you can play for free but for Prime you need a subscription and the Prime content is limited to level 50. New levels will be unlocked later so you can relive the whole game including Dungeons and Raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    Rift Live was the main game but at the moment most of the developers work seems to flow into Prime. Live you can play for free but for Prime you need a subscription and the Prime content is limited to level 50. New levels will be unlocked later so you can relive the whole game including Dungeons and Raids.
    Once again thanks for the info, I won 30 days free but my wife will have to be FTP for a while so that is why I have been playing Rift Live.

So now I am not sure which why to go, any chance the Rift Live servers going down for good?

Sword of Telara

Once again thanks for the info, I won 30 days free but my wife will have to be FTP for a while so that is why I have been playing Rift Live.

So now I am not sure which why to go, any chance the Rift Live servers going down for good?
    Since you mainly want to play open world, Live is probably the better choice, experimenting with the souls around, doing the story quests and having fun. I think Rift Live will just continue to run even if there will probably be only rare content updates but until level 70 you have enough to do. You don't have to spend any money on Rift Live but if you like it you can buy a mount or some bigger bags to support the team of Rift and the development of new content.

Calling either "the main game" is a fallacy. Live has the current content and prime will "eventually" get there. Most of the patrons who played on prime have moved back to Live. The promises of quick content rollouts on prime haven't happened so most of us have gone back to live.

A very good combo of souls would be a ranger rogue with the pig "tank" pet and a cleric druid with the faerie healer pet. Your 2 man group becomes 4 with a pocket healer. It works amazingly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    Calling either "the main game" is a fallacy. Live has the current content and prime will "eventually" get there. Most of the patrons who played on prime have moved back to Live. The promises of quick content rollouts on prime haven't happened so most of us have gone back to live.

A very good combo of souls would be a ranger rogue with the pig "tank" pet and a cleric druid with the faerie healer pet. Your 2 man group becomes 4 with a pocket healer. It works amazingly well.
    I saw the Druid, it did interest me. Since my R/L Ancestors/Family was Scottish and Irish roots.
    And a four "man" team sounds good, and the wife is not the quickest with Pots, she has been playing Ultima Online to long.
    LoL at one time we had six accounts each in UO! LOL

I saw the Druid, it did interest me. Since my R/L Ancestors/Family was Scottish and Irish roots.
    And a four "man" team sounds good, and the wife is not the quickest with Pots, she has been playing Ultima Online to long.
    LoL at one time we had six accounts each in UO! LOL
    Hah! Sounds like you both know your ways around MMO's then. My wife and I play as well. Our original idea back in vanilla was to level as a tank and healer since the meta we were most familiar with was WoW. We were unkillable but good lord it was slow. I was a cleric (warden) and she was a Tank (Reaver). Warden was closest to WoW druid healing in appearance and Reaver just seemed cool to my wife as a plague spreading AoE tank.

In Prime after 8 or so years we knew better and she went cleric druid and I was a Ranger/Sab mix.

Being able to AoE down baddies and tossing all the treat to the pig while the druid pet kept us alive and her single target dpsing stuff down worked very well.

It's fun and you all should have an easy time leveling.
    Last edited by Skiye; 07-04-2018 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    Hah! Sounds like you both know your ways around MMO's then. My wife and I play as well. Our original idea back in vanilla was to level as a tank and healer since the meta we were most familiar with was WoW. We were unkillable but good lord it was slow. I was a cleric (warden) and she was a Tank (Reaver). Warden was closest to WoW druid healing in appearance and Reaver just seemed cool to my wife as a plague spreading AoE tank.

In Prime after 8 or so years we knew better and she went cleric druid and I was a Ranger/Sab mix.

Being able to AoE down baddies and tossing all the treat to the pig while the druid pet kept us alive and her single target dpsing stuff down worked very well.

It's fun and you all should have an easy time leveling.
    Copy that, I hope we can meet in game some time and thanks for all the advice.

Plane Walker

So we play mainly open world and gather resources and craft. I already have already a lvl 14 Dwarven Ranger. And I am on Deepwood. I will do raids and dungeons, while she most of the time will not.
    You are doing it completely correct. This game has a high learning curve with all the 1000s of soul combinations. Play what your partner plays and you can help each other out immensely. I have known far too many couples in game and in real life that when one partner felt the pressure and disengaged because of a meta shift so did the other. One partner was forced to learn how to play two classes so they can show the other the best specs for particular situations.

If you both play the same class you can help eachother out greatly. I would also suggest that you bard/ranger. I had no problem soloing content with that build for majority of levels and it was fast.

If you consider raiding with the possibility that she may also consider it down the road I suggest mage. Mage is far more complimentary to Rogue than other classes. Rogue has the best secondary support, mage has the best primary support which compliment each other greatly. Mage and Rogue are closer to each other on the damage meters excluding primalist which is also a great option too.

Both of their heals late game are fantastic. Actually I would say they over shadow Cleric by a huge margin because cleric healing souls are outdated. Rogue and Mage are fantastic tanks as well which is where cleric shines the most. You will eventually want to buy all the soul packs as most of the classes won't be as raid viable without them. Cleric loses a significant amount of dps and hps without having soul packs for instance. You will be subjected to being a tank for raids with very little options late game without them even though they do seem a good choice in the beginning because they can heal, dps and tank. This is true for most classes except rogue for some reason lol. They do significantly well without having to rely much on soul pack purchases in the current meta particularly as a dps. They are by far the most return on your investment at least in the current meta.

Also, one of you should be able to tank with rogue for dungeons. It is extremely fun to tank with rogue and you can always pull your partner in as a dps and all you need is a healer which is far easier to get than a tank.
    Last edited by Aedynn; 07-09-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedynn View Post
    Also, one of you should be able to tank with rogue for dungeons. It is extremely fun to tank with rogue and you can always pull your partner in as a dps and all you need is a healer which is far easier to get than a tank.
    Thank you for your advice, my wife and I are up to Level 20 with each of our characters (Ranger for her, Druid for me), I have been looking at the other soul builds for Clerics so I know there are other builds.

As far as Dungeons, I am not sure if the wife will be willing to go into them she prefers open world and she is happy gathering resources.

Ascendant

Thank you for your advice, my wife and I are up to Level 20 with each of our characters (Ranger for her, Druid for me), I have been looking at the other soul builds for Clerics so I know there are other builds.

As far as Dungeons, I am not sure if the wife will be willing to go into them she prefers open world and she is happy gathering resources.
    Just keep in mind that Cleric is a "pay to play" class late game. You will not be able to perform well as a dps or healer without the soul packs for end game content. Rogue and Mage are far better investments for end game content. Mage in my opinion gives you the best return in your investment with being able to support,raid heal, and dps without much need for soul packs. Cleric would need at least runeshaper and oracle to be competitive in healing and dps. Also, many of the healing souls are mana hungry and have to manage mana like puri and full warden. No other class that has to manage their resources as intense as this class to heal. It is also not the best healers in the game. Primalist at the moment is the best healer, dps, hybrid support and can tank very well too.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 07-27-2018 at 08:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread