+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DarkDaemon

Thread: Pros and Cons of Each Tank.

  1. #1
    Soulwalker pacgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    9

    Default Pros and Cons of Each Tank.

    I know that all the tanking souls are roughly on par with one another, however i still can not decide which calling i want to use for tanking. If anyone could give me a list of pros and cons of each tanking soul that would be awesome!
    Officer of <Magic>
    Pacgod - Tank
    Pactastic - Healer

  2. #2
    Ascendant DarkDaemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    First of all, here's a tanking spreadsheet, which may help you. Overall, Justicar (cleric) tends to be the squishiest tank, while Paladin (warrior) tends to have the highest overall mitigation. Riftstalker has the most powerful cooldowns, Justicar has the worst, Paladin has the best raid cooldowns, Void Knight has the best utility, and Arbiter has the best threat control/taunts.

    Warrior

    Overall, warrior tanks can be characterized by decent ST aggro, decent AOE sustain aggro, poor AOE snap aggro, very poor AOE ranged snap aggro, and good variety. Warrior tanks have very simple rotations. Void Knight tends to be often useful in dungeons or places where the shielding and utility are useful, while Paladins excel in raid content with burst AOE healing required. Both are very viable in raid of course.

    VK
    • Extremely situationally useful summons which can rapidly, but unreliably reset
    • Three shielding CDs, all of which increase shielding cap - strong in current meta
    • Useful utility - knock back, CC, long CD reflect, purge and AOE cleanse/purge
    Paladin
    • Highest overall mitigation, especially physical
    • Good mitigation CDs
    • 2 raid mitigation CDs (30% and 40% respectively, relatively small area, immobile)
    Cleric - Justicar
    • Lowest overall mitigation and poor CDs
    • Easiest tank to gear (gets a bigger chunk of guard from WIS than other tanks from their main stats)
    • Has a battle res - very useful in 10 mans and progression
    • Very good passive aggro and snap threat

    Rogue - Riftstalker
    • Extremely powerful and diverse cooldowns - Scatter the Shadows is 90%
    • Very mobile
    • Lacks a ranged pull
    • No ranged AOE, but makes up for it with high mobility and passive AOE
    • Can spec into Bladedancer for Side Steps - a powerful dodge CD useful for certain situations
    Mage - Arbiter
    • Passive shielding and can self heal
    • Best threat control in the game (has threat intercepts)
    • Decent shielding CDs - similar to VK, excellent CDs overall
    • Can spec into Harbinger for extremely high passive dodge - a must have on certain fights

    Primalist - Titan
    • Best block chance, and very good dodge chance
    • Good mitigation
    • Powerful cooldowns - Vitrify also mitigation raid damage
    • Poor AOE options
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 10-31-2016 at 09:27 AM.

  3. #3
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,617

    Default

    DD covered the facts, so I'll throw in my opinions. Rogue is the most fun to me due to blinking everywhere. Mage & Cleric are the best when I'm feeling lazy due to their ease of picking up ranged mobs.

  4. #4
    RIFT Guide Writer SecondBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    First of all, here's a tanking spreadsheet, which may help you. Overall, Justicar (cleric) tends to be the squishiest tank, while Paladin (warrior) tends to have the highest overall mitigation. Riftstalker has the most powerful cooldowns, Justicar has the worst, Paladin has the best raid cooldowns, Void Knight has the best utility, and Arbiter has the best threat control/taunts.

    Warrior

    Overall, warrior tanks can be characterized by decent ST aggro, decent AOE sustain aggro, poor AOE snap aggro, very poor AOE ranged snap aggro, and good variety. Warrior tanks have very simple rotations. Void Knight tends to be often useful in dungeons or places where the shielding and utility are useful, while Paladins excel in raid content with burst AOE healing required. Both are very viable in raid of course.

    VK
    • Extremely situationally useful summons which can rapidly, but unreliably reset
    • Three shielding CDs, all of which increase shielding cap - strong in current meta
    • Useful utility - knock back, CC, long CD reflect, purge and AOE cleanse/purge
    Paladin
    • Highest overall mitigation, especially physical
    • Good mitigation CDs
    • 2 raid mitigation CDs (30% and 40% respectively, relatively small area, immobile)
    Cleric - Justicar
    • Lowest overall mitigation and poor CDs
    • Easiest tank to gear (gets a bigger chunk of guard from WIS than other tanks from their main stats)
    • Has a battle res - very useful in 10 mans and progression
    • Very good passive aggro and snap threat

    Rogue - Riftstalker
    • Extremely powerful and diverse cooldowns - Scatter the Shadows is 90%
    • Very mobile
    • Lacks a ranged pull
    • No ranged AOE, but makes up for it with high mobility and passive AOE
    • Can spec into Bladedancer for Side Steps - a powerful dodge CD useful for certain situations
    Mage - Arbiter
    • Passive shielding and can self heal
    • Best threat control in the game (has threat intercepts)
    • Decent shielding CDs - similar to VK, but lacks a 30% mitigation CD
    • Can spec into Harbinger for extremely high passive dodge - a must have on certain fights

    Primalist - Titan
    • Best block chance, and very good dodge chance
    • Good mitigation
    • Powerful cooldowns - Vitrify also mitigation raid damage
    • Poor AOE options
    afaik Justicar gets the same 10% main stat -> guard conversion that every other tank gets.

    Arbiter's had a 30% mit CD since whenever it was they redid Mana Aegis. Not to mention it has its own Defer Death CD, making it just a shade behind Riftstalker in terms of self-survival.

    Titan has excellent AOE with Earthquake. Slightly immobile, but no target limit makes it incredibly strong.

    Otherwise, good list, although dodge cooldown are less of a necessity, more of a luxury.
    The cockroaches won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajib View Post
    I hate to brag but am one of those pro warriors who tries to push things to the limit, broken so many records
    4.1 Champion 4.1 Overlord 4.1 Riftblade 4.1 Reaver 4.1 Tempest 4.1 Warpest
    3.7 Beastmaster 3.7 Liberator 3.7 Paladin 3.7 Void Knight

  5. #5
    Ascendant DarkDaemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SecondBass View Post
    afaik Justicar gets the same 10% main stat -> guard conversion that every other tank gets.
    Justicar gets 20% of their main stat as guard, twice as much as other tanks. You get 10% from Mien of Leadership and 10% from Devout Deflection. This may or may not be reflected in tooltips (but here's a link)

    Quote Originally Posted by SecondBass View Post
    Arbiter's had a 30% mit CD since whenever it was they redid Mana Aegis. Not to mention it has its own Defer Death CD, making it just a shade behind Riftstalker in terms of self-survival.
    You're right.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 10-31-2016 at 09:31 AM.

  6. #6
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    No ranged AOE, but makes up for it with high mobility and passive AOE
    Riftstalker has ranged AoE. Planar Splash + 20m range on Planar Strike from that one mastery.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts