+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bauum

Thread: question about the starter/default souls

Soulwalker

Default question about the starter/default souls

Hey, when I start a new character, the game offers to choose souls for you. And help putting the soul points in the best available slot.

Im abit confused because it seems i get several spells that look the same. For example something that does 150 dmg and give 1 attack point. And then I get a new spell that does exactly the same...how do I know which spell to use?

Rift Disciple

Every spec in rift consists of three souls that you can freely invest points into. If you open your soul tree (default hotkey 'N') you will see which ones are in the preset that you chose at the start of the game. The points you gain when leveling up are spent in the top part, while the bottom part or root contains abilities that are unlocked upon spending a certain amount of points in one soul.

The basic abilities that you get for spending the first few points in one soul are almost all very similar. For warriors it's going to be "deal x damage and get an attack point" and "deal x damage per attack point". Which one of those you use does not matter at low levels, but as you spend more points in a soul it will unlock specific talents/abilities that synergize with abilities of that soul. For example, putting 32 points into the Warlord soul will unlock "Battle Surge", which buffs your warlord finishers. So as you reach higher levels, it is generally best to use the abilities of the soul that you have put the most points in.
    Last edited by Bauum; 10-09-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Bauum View Post
    Every spec in rift consists of three souls that you can freely invest points into. If you open your soul tree (default hotkey 'N') you will see which ones are in the preset that you chose at the start of the game. The points you gain when leveling up are spent in the top part, while the bottom part or root contains abilities that are unlocked upon spending a certain amount of points in one soul.

The basic abilities that you get for spending the first few points in one soul are almost all very similar. For warriors it's going to be "deal x damage and get an attack point" and "deal x damage per attack point". Which one of those you use does not matter at low levels, but as you spend more points in a soul it will unlock specific talents/abilities that synergize with abilities of that soul. For example, putting 32 points into the Warlord soul will unlock "Battle Surge", which buffs your warlord finishers. So as you reach higher levels, it is generally best to use the abilities of the soul that you have put the most points in.
    Thanks :-) that helped. Just dont want to mess it up in the beginning. I will try to read some guides aswell, btw do you recommend macros? Or is it better to learn a class without macros ?

Quote Originally Posted by MZombie View Post
    Thanks :-) that helped. Just dont want to mess it up in the beginning. I will try to read some guides aswell, btw do you recommend macros? Or is it better to learn a class without macros ?
    It all depends how you use them. I use macros in most specs I play, but I also know each ability and what it does. It's fine to use them as a small button saver, but if you're just copy and pasting a macro and spamming 1, you're not going to understand the spec and won't be able to improve.
    R.I.P.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MZombie View Post
    .... Just dont want to mess it up in the beginning. I will try to read some guides aswell, btw do you recommend macros? Or is it better to learn a class without macros ?
    Don't worry too much about "messing it up" because completely resetting your souls is (relatively) cheap at all levels, and you lose absolutely nothing but a bit of coin -- you keep all the points and can pick new souls and rearrange abilities more-or-less at will. Also experimenting with a ranged build, a melee build, tanking and healing, each with or without pet will help you decide your preferences and teach you different tactics.

Reading guides *and reading the tooltips for each ability* is crucial to making choices that work well mechanically AND that you understand how to play correctly. The two real learning curves in Rift are:
    1. Synergies: E.g., sometimes a soul is only used to increase, say, "attack power" to magnify an ability provided by another soul. Learning or discovering "ability A" + "buff B" > A or B by itself is critical to building successful characters. That's why sometimes two similar looking abilities, say "do x damage and get one attack point" aren't actually as equal as it first appears.
    2. Playability: Sometimes what looks like a great design, e.g., 15 separate abilities that all appear to synergize brilliantly, turns out to be nearly unplayable because it requires (nearly) impossible keyboarding to even sort of work -- and maybe it doesn't allow you to move or switch targets or something else critical to survival and success.

Oh, yeah, and then there is learning to move/stay out of stupid. ;)

So, read the guides. Start with "Levelling Guides", preferably one that breaks the build down to 10 level chunks, so you can see it develop. Use macros if/when you understand how they work -- don't worry, macros are very easy to understand. One common problem with macros is that it's very easy to end up with abilities that will never be used because something higher up the macro list will always go off first and terminate the macro -- and Rift won't tell you that the ability never gets used. If your best ability never gets used, then that macro is hurting you.

But don't get hung up on getting it just right. Regular tweaking and rebuilding your abilities, reworking keybindings and macros and such are a necessary part of playing the game well. The souls continually evolve, and something that worked brilliantly last month may not work as well or at all next month - it's an evolving game! Approach it as part of the challenge and it's a lot more fun than looking for that "WIN button" build.

enjoy!

+ Reply to Thread