+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shapeshifter souls

Default Shapeshifter souls

This is probably not a new question, but shape shifter search did not turn up much. Is there a plan for a shape shifter class?

I havent seen any so far

No offense to Trion, but considering you copied a LOT from WoW I wouldnt be surprised if the Druid actually does have some shape-shifting abilities

Now before the Fan boy zerg fest brings the hammer down on m tiny hands let me elaborate. I Don't mind them having similarities to WoW. Its perfectly fine. Im just stating that there ARE similarities.

PS: Druid is a soul int he Cleric Calling
    Last edited by AhkoRevari; 10-27-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Druids have faerie pets in this game, so as far as I know, they're not shapeshifters, though it could happen. Here's what Adam Gershowitz had to say about it after Gamescom: (it's just a teaser)

So I'm feeling a bit loopy after a day full of being bombarded by thousands (yes thousands) of people screaming and clawing for T-Shirts. As such I will have my revenge on you all by putting out a teaser..

Don't expect a Druid in RIFT to be a traditional fantasy druid like you see in WoW or EQ. Our druids may share some similarities with those classes, but I assure you the druid is uniquely Telaran and closely tied to the theme of our game.

-Adam

P.S. If you want beast pets you're going to have to play a ranger =P
    Last edited by Selene; 10-27-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Shapeshifting period didn't come from WoW... but I think it would be a cool implementation. The shapeshifting is the only reason I played a druid... but it is something I would like to see, and I would like to see Trions take and development of it. Though it does seem unlikely.
    Last edited by Apherdite; 10-27-2010 at 07:57 PM.

I guess there isn't info on it yet, which probably means no. I hope so though, I have enjoyed playing shifter classes in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Apherdite View Post
    Shapeshifting period didn't come from WoW... but I think it would be a cool implementation. The shapeshifting is the only reason I played a druid... but it is something I would like to see, and I would like to see Trions take and development of it. Though it does seem unlikely.
    I agree with the first part of your sentence wholeheartedly. People seem to have very short memories and think that world of warcraft put out a lot of original ideas. Where world of warcraft innovated was with quest based gameplay, a fantastically scalable engine, and an accessibility no other mmorpg had at the time. From a class and skill standpoint, there work was pretty standard for the genre.
    Behold the turtle of enormous girth, on his shell he holds the earth.

Druids are the cleric pet class, not shapeshifters. Beastmasters are the fighter pet class.

Quote Originally Posted by Butr0sButr0s View Post
    I agree with the first part of your sentence wholeheartedly. People seem to have very short memories and think that world of warcraft put out a lot of original ideas. Where world of warcraft innovated was with quest based gameplay, a fantastically scalable engine, and an accessibility no other mmorpg had at the time. From a class and skill standpoint, there work was pretty standard for the genre.
    This... a few zillion times over.
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

As per I said. I know the druid isnt the shapeshifter class in Rift. the extent of my knowledge was that they were the Cleric pet class. Mainly what I meant was that Trion shares similarities with other MMOS (as do most oherst) so I wouldnt be surprised to see one down the line somewhere. I myself love shifter classes and will be egarly awaiting to play one in Rift

Quote Originally Posted by AhkoRevari View Post
    As per I said. I know the druid isnt the shapeshifter class in Rift. the extent of my knowledge was that they were the Cleric pet class. Mainly what I meant was that Trion shares similarities with other MMOS (as do most oherst) so I wouldnt be surprised to see one down the line somewhere. I myself love shifter classes and will be egarly awaiting to play one in Rift
    I'd love to see shapeshift ITEMS/usable abilities on items that transform you into things like a wolf, crocodile, etc. for say 15 minutes with a re-use of 5 minutes, that is dispelled on death. It doesn't have to have an exceptional ability, something like 5-10% cast speed for a caster-type item or small damage add for a melee type would rock... this helps you mask your class in PVP, and still provide a small buff for PVE that is useful as well as just being "cool" aesthetically. I loved shapeshift items in Dark Age of Camelot...
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 10-28-2010 at 06:48 PM.
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

Shadowlander

Default Heck Yeah

I am a major fan of shapeshifting in any game, and this is no different. I really hope that the devs do include some shapeshifting souls. I think it would add a great deal to customizability options. Anyways that's just my 2 cents.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Butr0sButr0s View Post
    I believe Everquest 2 or mabye even Everquest (Not to sure on this since I didn't play it) came out with it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendzs View Post
    I believe Everquest 2 or mabye even Everquest (Not to sure on this since I didn't play it) came out with it before.
    There's been a number of games with shapeshifters in them. Shadow caster came out in 1993 and was built around a shapeshifting class (I suppose you could even consider altered beast a shape shifting game). Diablo II had the shapeshifting druid, everquest 1 and 2 had classes that could change shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    This... a few zillion times over.
    Thanks for the props.
    Behold the turtle of enormous girth, on his shell he holds the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendzs View Post
    EQ1 had limited shapeshifting - Wolf Form
    AD&D the PnP version had Druids Shapeshifting in 1978 I think that was
    Druidic legends had it that powerful druids could take on the form of animals and wander the forest, 1500+ years ago

So who ripped who?

Shape-shifting is just another term for Illusions, and the EQ Enchanter had many of them.

I like the idea of a shape-shifting soul.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast