+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By ecru
  • 1 Post By ecru
  • 1 Post By Artewig

Thread: Mage QQ

Plane Walker

Default Mage QQ

Mages seem to be everywhere in game, from PvP to PvE content, and they perform well/next to the best in every role. I know I'm pretty biased and vocal against mages, but I feel like it's just all really brainless to play ez-mode specs like Pyro or FK in either PvP or PvE, and Harbinger got its own buffs to be competitive against the newest souls too.

Mages literally got the most improvements/adjustments this patch, whereas problems in both Cleric/War/Rogue are still persistent or haven't improved the quality of gameplay.

Here are the patch-notes to see the most recent changes.

Also some screens to show:

SoL

Sure I could have run Shadeborn instead of Assdancer, and my lag may have contributed to less-than-optimal rotations (+ wearing the PvP trinket and PvP cape instead of my PvE ones), but this is really just to illustrate how many mages were top performers in DPS and as healers. It was the same when I was in MM against mages who were in Pyro.

PvP

People just run Frostkeeper, and most of the damage is going to targeting them rather than at other DPS. There are just so many FKs that you spend your entire time doing this rather than actually PvPing.

Just wanted to express my side of the story. As you can tell from my sig, I main my rogue, so yeah, of course there's a bias. I wanted to see if other mages (or other classes like rogue, warrior, primalist, or cleric) felt similarly to what I've been seeing so far in Rift. Perhaps more constructive feedback can from out from my qq post.
    Last edited by Wonski; 07-17-2016 at 01:06 PM.
    Wonskee@Deepwood - Dark Malice PvP Guide - Griefer PvP Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by paragonfury View Post
    wtf??? I simply asked for the ultimate one button tempest macro without both torrents, not a fricken story book u nerds.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Telaran

lol

/10char

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Nazuki View Post
    lol

/10char
    meh it is what it is. mages got it good this patch no matter what you think, so my post was really about how this offsets variety of roles in WFs or PvE content.
    wtf??? I simply asked for the ultimate one button tempest macro without both torrents, not a fricken story book u nerds.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

well no.

harb is way behind shaman atm, pyro/ele are behind runeshaper, fk isn't puri, etc.

right now you want a mage for support and that's pretty much it as far as optimal composition goes. maybe a chloro because wild growth.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    well no.

harb is way behind shaman atm, pyro/ele are behind runeshaper, fk isn't puri, etc.

right now you want a mage for support and that's pretty much it as far as optimal composition goes. maybe a chloro because wild growth.
    okay thanks for letting me know. just thought it was weird seeing lots of mages around, so didn't want that being a part of my bias against them.

also posting a sol probably wasn't the best example in terms of PvE content lol

still don't see many shamans in PvP though, could have gotten some more cc stuff so we can see it there.
    Last edited by Wonski; 07-17-2016 at 01:20 PM.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Wonski View Post
    okay thanks for letting me know. just thought it was weird seeing lots of mages around, so didn't want that being a part of my bias against them.

also posting a sol probably wasn't the best example in terms of PvE content lol

still don't see many shamans in PvP though, could have gotten some more cc stuff so we can see it there.
    it's really just FK and pyro in pvp at the moment. harb is difficult to play to it's full potential in a warfront, the same goes for lock, and while they're definitely good, they fall behind in a raid environment due to recent changes unless there is serious full-time cleave involved. the harb buffs in 3.7 were negligible and i wouldn't be surprised if more come through soon, shaman is a legit ~10-15% ahead at the moment.

i also think a lot of players are probably avoiding shaman in pvp for now because of fading light not working, meaning they're back to having only one break free unless they go into 11rs or 11cab sub spec.

edit: btw you should find that mage at the top of the parse in that sol and inspect his gear because he's probably the best geared mage in NA atm.
    Last edited by ecru; 07-17-2016 at 01:26 PM.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Plane Walker

it's really just FK and pyro in pvp at the moment. harb is difficult to play to it's full potential in a warfront, the same goes for lock, and while they're definitely good, they fall behind in a raid environment due to recent changes unless there is serious full-time cleave involved. the harb buffs in 3.7 were negligible and i wouldn't be surprised if more come through soon, shaman is a legit ~10-15% ahead at the moment.

i also think a lot of players are probably avoiding shaman in pvp for now because of fading light not working, meaning they're back to having only one break free unless they go into 11rs or 11cab sub spec.

edit: btw you should find that mage at the top of the parse in that sol and inspect his gear because he's probably the best geared mage in NA atm.

Yeah I should have suspected by like the 20k+ dps he was doing more than the other people in the raid lol
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I probably would have been 2nd on that SoL pull. I think the best I've done is around 135-140k. I can't remember the last time I did an SoL though. I would say unless you can show me all of their gear, it's gear/ability difference more than spec difference. Also, you had 9 dps mages, so chances were high that a bunch of them would be up there on the charts. And yeah, Tomahawk is very geared. I was competing with him on Guurloth a couple weeks ago though (and then I died :/ ).

As for PvP, Blighted is a horrible map to compare heal classes. Fk definitely shines in zerg maps. I think in that screenshot you'll find that the mages got the heals because they were where the damage was, not necessarily because they're better.

And ps... Macroing Serpent Strike is bad and I don't see Puncture on your bar
    Last edited by Artewig; 07-17-2016 at 03:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Shaman's have been 25-30% behind to harbs in regards to utility for months now. And I get what wonksi is saying perfectly, but you're illustrating the raid environment only in this post ecru.

Also the shaman "buff" is something you and I are both against, which is MB being roughly 40% of a shaman's entire parse.

All in all, shaman is still a one trick pony class, and it's rotation now strictly revolves around getting as much MB's in as possible. As far as pvp is concerned, harb reigns supreme for melee classes. The tools they get are ridiculous.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    I probably would have been 2nd on that SoL pull. I think the best I've done is around 135-140k. I can't remember the last time I did an SoL though. I would say unless you can show me all of their gear, it's gear/ability difference more than spec difference. Also, you had 9 dps mages, so chances were high that a bunch of them would be up there on the charts. And yeah, Tomahawk is very geared. I was competing with him on Guurloth a couple weeks ago though (and then I died :/ ).

As for PvP, Blighted is a horrible map to compare heal classes. Fk definitely shines in zerg maps. I think in that screenshot you'll find that the mages got the heals because they were where the damage was, not necessarily because they're better.

And ps... Macroing Serpent Strike is bad and I don't see Puncture on your bar
    Yeah, even as a filthy casual I should not macro Serpent Strike. I usually have it so that Serpent Strike is always buffed by Deadly Dance using the 4/5 combo point rotation. But yeah, when ping is bad, it won't always get buffed, so that's just laziness on my part.

Puncture is at the end of my finisher macro, which is just the Bladedancer finisher with Puncture macroed in there. I never clip Puncture and just press the finisher macro an additional time to refresh it, since 10s is usually around 2 full builder/finishers for Sin. That way Puncture will always be the first ability buffed right after the finisher.

But yeah, this inevitably leads to lower numbers, but it's w/e for me since I just button mash in PvP :C
    Last edited by Wonski; 07-18-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just out of curiosity, what's your Compound Attack macroed to?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

well at least you;re admitting your bias.

i mean sol parse, really?

yeah theres alot of mage stuff in there and alot of it is bug fixes and small qol issues, oh and the gutting of dom. everyone got pet class changes so that one doesnt count

8 percent to 10 percent increase harb just wow, im sure wfs will be nothing but harbs now

the rest are also rather minor and wont really make a huge diff in pvp. that pyro buff really only shines in long fights in pve and only works when u dont have cds

the only real complaint anyone should have against mages at the moment is fks.

I raid once or twice a week, with causal guilds so we pull people from all over. Our raids are never just comprised of our guild only.

I think we have had only one night when we were mage heavy, if we are heavy on any class it is typically rogue. Most the time, however, we are fairly well balanced when it comes to classes, all expect for warriors, which we are usually low on. Mostly only one or may two warriors, people are just not playing warriors it guess.

So as far, as PvE content, I am not really seeing an abundance of mages.

In PvP, however there are a lot of mages, mostly healers. All you have to do is look at the top 50 and you can see it is mostly mage healers. I have a feeling that will change though.

They have been quietly nerfing FK, and most people don't even realize it.

"*Fixed an issue where Ground Zero was causing Frostkeeper’s Armor to proc on the target of Ground Zero."

"* Earthen Rapport's absorb no longer incorrectly benefits from effects that increase absorbs."

"* Harmony is now correctly considerd (sic) a proc and will no longer trigger certain effects incorrectly."

And another nerf that is not in the patch notes, is that they made Cold Front worthless. It increases damage of Hail Blast now, which is like just removing the skill from the game.

I don't care what the QQers say, FK is harder to play in 3.7 than in 3.6. I suppose it could be, that I pull a lot of heat, and always have one of those freaking debuffing specs chasing me around.

140k isn't anything unusual in an SoL.. people were pulling that over 4 months ago.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgad View Post
    140k isn't anything unusual in an SoL.. people were pulling that over 4 months ago.
    Yeah.... And there is no QQ about primalist or rogue dps

+ Reply to Thread