+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FPS sytle Archery

Default FPS sytle Archery

If anyone has ever played Darkfall they will know what im talking about here.

In all MMOs beyond the previously mentioned, archery has been confined to a Target and Click interface. It is my dream that this game will follow games like Darkfall and incorporate FPS style Archery. This not only lets players distinguish themselves amongst others of the same class, but is VERY fun to play when its done right.

There are most likely people out there who are appose to this sort of thing since it will unfortunately require skill instead of just targeting something and clicking a button. That being said there could always be an option to turn this off (Provided the players that play in FPS view, because they have a chance to miss, receive proper dmg bonus above those that target click)
    Last edited by Winedan; 05-11-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    Games played: EQ, EQ2, COV/H, Lineage 2, DAoC, Vanguard, WoW, AION, Champions Online, SWG, DDO, LotR Online, Guild Wars, Darkfall Online, AoC

Current: EQ1, Champions Online, Darkfall Online... (Thinking about re-sub on Vanguard)

YES! but not for rangers MUAHAHAHA

but anyway i read a cool article on MMORPG.com that said how it could work.

shoot someone in the head = big crit
    shoot someone in the leg = snared/root
    shoot in the throat = silence
    shoot in the belly = damage + DoT
    shoot in the arm = damage debuff (melee)

obviously with most of those there would be damage associated with it.

or

make it an optional stance so that those who don't like FPS games aren't forced into it. but besides the above give automatic additional damage (since you are more likely to miss).

WTB the above item .... mine broke

I would be one of said people who would be opposed to this :P mostly because you can't mix fps aspects into one class and neglect it in an other. FPS is much more fast paced and response dependend than a RPG type approach as a result these players / classes would be at a disadvantage most (if not all) the time.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

I'm not a fan of FPS-styled archery, but I was a big fan of the system in Age of Conan.

In Age of Conan, shooting at something with a bow and arrow is much more than just clicking a target and then clicking an icon. They have a considerably more realistic targeting system in first-person mode and in third-person mode. In first-person mode you have a crosshair and are able to aim manually and shoot at your enemy (you can shoot further in first-person mode, but of course, aiming in first-person mode takes more skill).

When in third-person mode, you've got your cone targeting. The cone is basically a relatively narrow, cone-shaped area extruding from your character and everything within this cone is a potential target. The cone is also a visual guidance tool that can be turned off if you don’t want it on your screen. When moving and turning around, your target will change depending on what enemy is in the cone, and you can change targets by adjusting your angle so that you get a clean shot. It also makes so-called kiting considerably more difficult to do in Age of Conan.

It might sound odd, and it’s really a system that you have to try in order for you to understand how it actually works and why it works well. It definitively takes ranged combat to another level for MMOs, and while it’s not completely precision-based (you don’t hit individual parts of the body), it is very much a solid compromise between a first-person shooter and a traditional MMO.

Good example at 2:12
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6arB6M3kcKs
    Last edited by Narelius; 05-11-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narelius View Post
    I'm not a fan of FPS-styled archery, but I was a big fan of the system in Age of Conan.

In Age of Conan, shooting at something with a bow and arrow is much more than just clicking a target and then clicking an icon. They have a considerably more realistic targeting system in first-person mode and in third-person mode. In first-person mode you have a crosshair and are able to aim manually and shoot at your enemy (you can shoot further in first-person mode, but of course, aiming in first-person mode takes more skill).

When in third-person mode, you've got your cone targeting. The cone is basically a relatively narrow, cone-shaped area extruding from your character and everything within this cone is a potential target. The cone is also a visual guidance tool that can be turned off if you donít want it on your screen. When moving and turning around, your target will change depending on what enemy is in the cone, and you can change targets by adjusting your angle so that you get a clean shot. It also makes so-called kiting considerably more difficult to do in Age of Conan.

It might sound odd, and itís really a system that you have to try in order for you to understand how it actually works and why it works well. It definitively takes ranged combat to another level for MMOs, and while itís not completely precision-based (you donít hit individual parts of the body), it is very much a solid compromise between a first-person shooter and a traditional MMO.
    The cone example sounds pretty fitting for a MMO tbh, I never tried AOC but it seems very interesting, can anyone maybe find a youtube video of how this would look in the game? Or make one for that matter

Regards,
    Kalbuir

I just edited this with a video
    It's the best example I could find off-hand on youtube.

edit**
    another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk872rmB7_g
    Last edited by Narelius; 05-11-2010 at 10:59 AM.

i forgot age of conan had that style of combat, is it still like that? hmm may even be more tempting to resub.

WTB the above item .... mine broke

Quote Originally Posted by Narelius View Post
    I just edited this with a video
    It's the best example I could find off-hand on youtube.

edit**
    another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk872rmB7_g
    Yup that looks like a really interesting mechanic :P wouldn't mind if they would "steal" that :P

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    I would be one of said people who would be opposed to this :P mostly because you can't mix fps aspects into one class and neglect it in an other. FPS is much more fast paced and response dependend than a RPG type approach as a result these players / classes would be at a disadvantage most (if not all) the time.

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    Darkfall does it like this

(FPS archery is exclusive to when you have a Bow equiped in the Primary slot)

1) User equips the bow,
    2) View is changed to First person with a cross hair,
    3) User draws back by holding the RMB,
    4) Releases for fire
    5) User unequips the bow
    6) View is set back to third person.

Its really a seamless transition and it is exclusive to using the Bow

Here is a good link for seeing how it works switching from melee to archery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2up3c1EtFQ
    Last edited by Winedan; 05-11-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Games played: EQ, EQ2, COV/H, Lineage 2, DAoC, Vanguard, WoW, AION, Champions Online, SWG, DDO, LotR Online, Guild Wars, Darkfall Online, AoC

Current: EQ1, Champions Online, Darkfall Online... (Thinking about re-sub on Vanguard)

As long as its not EQ2 style archery the floating arrow, I will be happy I dont really care about FPS style shooting.

Hellgate London also tried to implement a FPS class with the Hunter. Well, it didn't turn out to be very successful. The Age of Conan approach was quite ok. I twinked a ranger there out of curiosity and liked this system. It would definitely be worth a try, as long as it remains optional to turn on, for those who don't like FPS-mechanisms in RPGs.

If they actually implimented this system, I imagine that it would be very hard to actually hit someone. I assume you like to see pretty loot on your character, and if they had an fps view, how would you admire your character. Although if they quickley implimented this option into the beta, it would be nice to see if it could actually work in the game. I do enjoy playing an fps, but I don't really look for it inan MMO. It's nice and relaxing not to have to give the game your undevided attention while you tired or doing something else . Since a class like a ranger doesn't require alot of attention, I can do other things while actually playing, such as watching a movie.
    Last edited by PsychoticHamster; 07-31-2010 at 06:04 PM.

I liked AoC's system as well. I would go into first person mode and salvo from very far away =)

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

optional FP view is ok, as long as they don't include a crosshair and make the game a medieval FPS
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Shield of Telara

my opinion is for the people who actually like playing the fps type games go check out TERA because that will cater to your ranger/crosshair itch. If they ever tried adding this feature I would un-sub before you can count to 3! There is no way, though, that they could add this feature to the current system. It would involve re-doing the entire game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast