+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multiclassing/Multicalling: Suggestions and Discussion

Default Multiclassing/Multicalling: Suggestions and Discussion

My apologies in advance for the wall of text.

I'm not a big fan of the soul system. I think Trion could have really done something great but backed down. The Soul system could have been a huge innovation in blending class and classless systems together and providing a unique MMO experience that's not often found.

When it boils down, you have 4 classes. Each class has 8 talent trees. While that is quite a number of options, it's disproportionate to the amount of passion and marketing that the developers are pouring into the idea to try and sell it. When it comes down to it, it's nothing we haven't seen before.

I will, however, give kudos for the dev team for designing playstyle and armors around the Souls and not the calling, making the various souls unique.

I am still of the opinion that Cross-Calling soul equipping should be allowable. Here are a few reasons to allow cross-calling soul equipping as well as some suggestions as to how it could be implemented to encourage both diversity and reward those who go the straight and narrow.

Reasons for Multiclassing

1.) More souls to collect - People love to collect things. I'm sure thats why vanity and rare souls are being implemented. Instead of capping at 7 souls to collect, why not 31+?

2.) Variety is the spice of life. - Instead of having to constantly add new souls to meet the players needs, adding every little variation to every calling, why not allow people to bridge the gap and create an Identity they want.

3.) Multiclassing is suboptimal. - If gear is tailored to the calling, Multiclassing across several callings will spread you thin. While you may be a jack of all trades and could be an adequate soloist, you'll require a lot of mix and matching of gear, which could make an interesting appearance.

4.) Endgame content will still require pure callings - for the same reason listed above. You have to be on top of your A game. The Devs have already said that balance is second, and that some classes will just be better at certain aspects of the game. If that's their philosophy, why put a leash on player choices?

5.) It's about identity - Who you are; what makes you.. well.. you in the gameworld. While there will be cookie cutter builds, having access to a plethora of souls will keep people busy for months, allowing people's creative juices to flow.

---------

Seriously, who cares of a pyromancer gets heavy plate, stealth and dual wields. It means he's not nuking you as hard as he's not optimizing for his spells, while simultaneously making some kid's dream come true of being a Champion Nightblade Pyromancer or whatever his wish be. As for taking a healer class and being able to self heal, again its sub optimal, but more solo and duel friendly.

A suggestion I'd like to raise in defense of Multiclassing and support of those who stick to 1 Calling is providing bonuses, much similar to a Set bonus for remaining and equipping several of the same calling.

Lets call it.... oh I don't know 'Ancestral Purity.' Hell, we could call it Ancestral Synchronization for an Assassin's creed feel if we want... regardless of the name, here we go. (again, sorry for the long read)

---------

How this would work

1.) Enable Multiclassing

2.) Every soul gets a tagged bonus associated with it that comes in 3 levels.

3.) When you acquire a second and third soul slot, these bonuses open up, giving you reasonable incentive to stay within your calling.

4.) These would work much like a dynamic armor set bonus that varies based on the souls you pick. The first bonuses are given when you equip a second soul in the same calling. The second set of bonuses open up when you select your third soul.

5.) The 3rd bonus is enabled when you pick 3 unified souls in the same calling. This will grant you access to an exclusive ability associated with 1 of the 3 souls. eg. Reaver - exhale plague - 5m cooldown - you breathe a 30 foot, 60 degree cone of plague with 1 selected disease inflicting you, transfering it to them.

---------

Alrighty, lets put this idea into practice.

Itori Nagash is an Eth champion who just reached 15th level. He has access to the Reaver, Elementalist, and Purifier Souls. All 3 sound appealing to him. He'd like to be a reaver, but the other 2 options open up opportunities he wouldn't normally get within the warrior calling. If he cross classes, he could have a pet, he could heal, he could do a number of things that he couldn't originally do.

However, to compensate for these slight deficiencies, if he takes Reaver, he'll get a bonus to block/parry, as well as get a bonus to strength for being a champion.

By the time he's level 30 he's picked up the assassin, warlock, sentinel and voidknight.

If he takes voidknight, he'll get increased magical resistance (throwing off top of my head), as well as increased block/parry chance from reaver and even more strength from champion for having 3 souls in the warrior calling equipped.

and finally, he'll get to pick 1 of 3 abilities/skills/large bonuses associated with their respective class. Lets see what i can come up with off the top of my head...

Champion - Overwhelming blows - 2.5m cooldown, duration 30 seconds. For the duration, critical hits have a 25% chance to knock the target down

Reaver - Exhale Plague - 5m cooldown, duration: Same as disease. Spew forth a cone of plague at the targets infront of you, inflicting them with the same disease(s) you're suffering from.

Voidknight - Void Blade - 5m cooldown, duration. 2m. Summon a Void blade that floats within 10 feet of you, attacking your targets and consuming mana, becoming more powerful with every successful mana drain. At the end of the duration or on command, the Blade will explode, dealing damage and creating an antimagic zone that lingers in the area making casting of spells difficult for a duration based on how much mana it consumed.

Obviously, the idea needs A LOT of tweaking, but there you have it.

While it may be a pipe dream for now to hope for multiclassing, I hope to see it someday in the future of what I hope is a long and healthy life for Rift.

Any feedback and critiquing is welcome. It's just a rough sketch of an idea I'd like to see implemented.

Cheers.

Nimsul

Plane Touched

I didn't read your entire post, but this feature would be completely broken in PvP. I don't know about you, but if a champion stealthed up to you and opened on you, then beat you down while you couldn't scratch him I'd be pretty pissed. Oh and in the event that you do damage him before you're dead he has pretty good healing abilities.

Rift Disciple forestwhitakereye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    I didn't read your entire post, but this feature would be completely broken in PvP. I don't know about you, but if a champion stealthed up to you and opened on you, then beat you down while you couldn't scratch him I'd be pretty pissed. Oh and in the event that you do damage him before you're dead he has pretty good healing abilities.
    It works both ways though. In other words, you could be stealthed, have heavy armor, and/or your own healing abilities.
    Last edited by forestwhitakereye; 10-25-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: rewording

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    A champion jumping you from stealth isn't going to be any worse than a Bladedancer, Nightblade or Assassin jumping you from stealth.

And taking those souls doesn't mean easy pass to stealth. You actually have to invest points into them to gain their stealth abilities, which means you're being less of a champion.

Rift Master

I disapprove. It kills uniqueness, everybody is everything.

The current system is just about right in my eyes, as you can still change your playstyle, but you will always have something that defines your character.

Soulwalker

Love the idea. Not sure I agree with the other replies - I think this increases uniqueness and makes PvP even more fun and dynamic.

The challenge I've seen from most multiple-classig RPGs is what combinations give an unfair advantage and how to offset that advantage to ensure fair gameplay. It's not always easy and I can only imagine from a developers perspective the math that would need to be used in order to accommodate a multiple-classing scenario (and proabaly the reason for so much kickback).

But from a playing perspective - Right On! Yes, you can be a Jack of all trades, but i would assume there will always be trade offs and weaknesses v being a core class. And the idea mentioned of certain scenarios that would require "purity" is a great idea also.

Would love to hear more about the idea.

Rift Disciple

I was looking forward to a FFXI type system where you could be anything, it worked well and was fun. I see Rifts need for it's own identity and still like the system they are using. While being a bit more limited than the old FFXI, it leaves plenty of room to implement more souls in the future. The current trend in mmos is customization, true a great title can not stand on that alone, but it looks like the Rift team has it covered.

I think the soul system is pretty fun, if it allowed what the OP planned, I'd probably not enjoy it as much, as that would mean everyone can/will be good at everything. I prefer having the system restricted like this

Quote Originally Posted by Nimsul View Post
    A champion jumping you from stealth isn't going to be any worse than a Bladedancer, Nightblade or Assassin jumping you from stealth.

And taking those souls doesn't mean easy pass to stealth. You actually have to invest points into them to gain their stealth abilities, which means you're being less of a champion.
    actually it would.. the leather wearer would last a short while but not nearely as long as a plate wearer will. also the rogue classes will be more about burwt from the talents i've seen in the souls than long term sustained damage.. while a warrior will be long termm.. this will make a HUGE difference as i can easily see something like a wow fury warrior poping out of stealth and nailing you to be seriously over powered..

at the same time as the op said.. its sub optimal.. the problem isa many people won want to keep ti that way creating other problems further down the road.. sometimes yu need to look down the road and realise the bullet your setting yourself up for.. i think Trion is dodging the bullet before its even fired in the way they are doing the souls and i like it.
    Last edited by Oggiefishier; 10-26-2010 at 04:50 AM.
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

TL; DR.

If you don't like the soul system, probably best to just move along. Rift is what it is. They are way past the design phase at this point.

+ Reply to Thread