+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gilgad
  • 1 Post By somerandomnamee

Thread: Primalist Trees, Abilities, and Community Thoughts?

Default Primalist Trees, Abilities, and Community Thoughts?

So, we've had access to the Primalist and their six souls on live for a good amount of time now and a lot of the tweaking that comes after launch is mostly over.

My question to the community that has played Primalist and compared it against their Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, or Mage. How do you guys feel about the Primalist talent trees, ability count, hybrids, soul gifts, and play styles of them?

Personally, they've grown on me. Definitely wasn't fond of them to start, was afraid of over simplification of the soul trees.

Though after having playing with them for a while, what I've found is that talent points feel as if they have more impact when you use them, the trees aren't super bloated and fat, there isn't a million buttons sitting on my bars, the play styles have depth, and hybrids feel like they have more potency (feel, doesn't mean they actually do).

All of these things are serious positives for the soul system.

What's funny is that today after I was done playing around on my Primalist and fiddling with their trees I jumped back over to my Warrior main and opened up my VK tree and was completely turned off by seeing that massively bloated tree and all of my action bars being filled to the brim.

To a certain extent, I wouldn't mind seeing existing trees given the same treatment as the Primalist. For those of you who like the Primalist trees, do you feel the same way?
    Last edited by Necalli; 01-09-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Rift Chaser

I like the other souls the way they are...

Primalist is nice that it is unique. Personally, I Really like mine. I got myself geared to 1300 hit on mine and it is def better than some of my others.

I liked the need for managing focus and you need to adjust as you go though.

Phs

Quote Originally Posted by Necalli View Post
    To a certain extent, I wouldn't mind seeing existing trees given the same treatment as the Primalist. For those of you who like the Primalist trees, do you feel the same way?
    I doubt trion cares enough to do that. It'd require going through every soul and removing a lot of the fluff. Removing and rebalancing everything because of the talents lost, spells removed. Plus it would have immense initial backlash from people who wouldn't like it.

and it wouldn't make them any money because they can't sell a rework like they can sell new Primalist souls.
    Last edited by Phs; 01-11-2016 at 03:08 AM.

Gonna be brutally honest here.

It's unfinished and was released for profit like everything else in the game. So it's really **** right now both PVE and PVP and open world.
    • We lack the amount of specs other people can play.
    • We lack the amount of utility and abilities other souls have and hybridisation.
    • We are literally forced to use a spinny button in every fight and be called overpowered.
    • Our main DPS spec relies way too much on RNG of the crit. We need to crit to get dire buffs. We need to crit to apply dots. We need to crit on earthfall.
    • The rotation of dervish is the most unforgiving of any calling. You break the rotation, rip. You lag? Rip. You hit the wrong button? Rip. You disconnect? Rip. This adds to the fact that we can only use certain abilities at certain points in time.
    • We cannot control everything, IE when we can burst in dervish. When we can use disengaging abilities (Only specific times).
    • We have next to no survivability. The only thing we have is defer death, which in PVE is great. In pvp, it is nothing.
    • We have no utility, did i mention this already?
    • Berserker is next to useless.
    • Typhoon has high AOE burst but the soul tree doesn't even work at the moment. Bugs have been reported months prior and nothing has been done.
    • Our masteries are TERRIBLE compared to other souls. In fact I don't even use Spiritualism in Dervish because of the amount of ability lag it creates for me, it's not worth 1.5k DPS and messing up the strict Dervish rotation.
    • We get accused of being noobs in pvp because we are forced to play vulcanist and we have an overpowered ability, problem is it's the only thing we have.
    • We don't even have an ice zerker proc on the warmonger weapons.
    • We couldn't even interrupt in a few specs for a long time.
    • We can't even play melee in pvp because Dervish is aids. Want to burst? Too bad. Want to use an ability? Too bad.
    • Did I mention we have no utility?
    • It brings nothing unique to a raid.
    • It takes more damage then other classes, which is a hindrance especially in raid.
    • Half the time you run around an entire 15 minute warfront with a 50% dps and healing debuff on you which is absolutely ****ed.
    • The list goes on.

Unfinished, money grabbing product continuously being milked.

What I do like about Primalist, is the healing soul and tanking soul. They did very good jobs of that, little no to bugs, the soul tree works, each has it's own perks. Another thing I like about primalist is the attention you need to pay to your focus bar, in Vulcanist. Literally every other spec you don't even need to look at your focus bar because of how strict of a rotation it is or like preserver, it means nothing.
    Last edited by Gilgad; 01-11-2016 at 07:47 AM.

Ascendant

After reading that ^^ I'm afraid to get to 65 on my primalist.

But about the soul tree... I just don't like it.
    I heard they made it this way to remove those +1% points that don't do anything for the gameplay, something like that...
    But in the primalist trees, there's so few abilities (especially in the root) that when you're getting close to 60, you basically don't get anything beside these +1% thing...

in the 40-59 trees for other soul, every few levels you get an insane ability that often change the gameplay. And when you don't, at least you still get a soulpoint to give you a few % somewhere, and sometime you can use the offpoint ( point you have to use in a secondary soul ) to unlock some new low level but still effective skill...

With the primalist, it's like, you get a soul point every few levels, and most of the time it doesn't even give you anything.

When you're getting close to the endgame, where you usually get so many new cool or powerful abilities, now you get nothing for most of your levels. This is bad.

And the specs are very limited.
    Specs are very limited for all callings, and this is the biggest problem in Rift imho, there's no point having a soul system with 3992489 possibilities when there's only an handful of specs viable in pvp or pve... But I think it's even worse for primalist.

Not only there isn't many specs available, I hear most of them aren't doing so well at 65.
    I hear so many complaints going...
    -Vulcanists only has 1 good ability so when it,s interrupted you're not doing anything
    -Dervish burst is unreliable, and you get melted down too fast anyway

I've yet to read too many negative stuff about preservers, but if that's our only option..

My only gripe is that the trees seem to lack the utility and survivability of other classes. Other souls are filled with passive heals/-damage taken that we need to take to max it out. It's really noticeable not having them on the primalist.

This thread is exactly what I have been looking for.

Im a Mage vet and havent raided since the last expansion.

I have a 60 Mage, a 63 Rogue and a 62 Prim. Im getting through the new content and doing the quest lines, ive been feeling a major wall. I feel like ive been hitting the same buttons over and over and if I want to deviate from that, there isn't really any selection.

So im leaning toward maining a Rogue now, but I see there is still a bit of overpopulation. Bad idea? Any tips or things to say to sway me another way?
    Last edited by duffdog7576; 01-17-2016 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duffdog7576 View Post
    This thread is exactly what I have been looking for.

Im a Mage vet and havent raided since the last expansion.

I have a 60 Mage, a 63 Rogue and a 62 Prim. Im getting through the new content and doing the quest lines, ive been feeling a major wall. I feel like ive been hitting the same buttons over and over and if I want to deviate from that, there isn't really any selection.

So im leaning toward maining a Rogue now, but I see there is still a bit of overpopulation. Bad idea? Any tips or things to say to sway me another way?
    If you have the storm legion souls i feel that harbinger is the most well rounded soul in the game

Plane Walker

Totally disagree with you OP.
    Imo primalist is oversimplified and boring.

Different strokes

+ Reply to Thread