+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Good 0 Point Souls for Healing Clerics?

Default Lack of Good 0 Point Souls for Healing Clerics?

With all the standard disclaimers that the game is in alpha and everything we know now is subject to change and assuming that the 0 point root abilities scale with level, which are the best Cleric souls to take to round out that one or two soul build?

Inquisitor
    Bolt of Judgement: 16 to 18 Life damage (2 second cast)
    Vex: 26 Death damage over 15 seconds (instant cast)

Justicar
    Strike of Judgement: Melee strike - weapon plus 7 to 9 Physical damage

Purifier
    Soul Lance: 13 to 15 Fire damage (2 second cast)
    Shield of Ancestors: Instant self-shield absorbs up to 49 damage over 30 seconds (30 second cooldown)

Sentinel
    Light Bolt: 13 to 15 Life damage (2 second cast)
    Healing Breath: Instant single target heal for 30 to 32 Health (8 second cooldown)

Shaman
    Crushing Blow: Melee strike - weapon damage plus 8 to 10 Physical damage

Warden
    Waterjet: 11 to 13 Water damage (2 second cooldown)

Healing/Ranged Cleric
    • taking another direct damage spell with the same cooldown as your primary direct damage spell seems pointless
    • adding a melee damage modifier could help when you do have to melee but also seems pointless
    • adding a DoT could be a decent addition

DPS/Melee Cleric
    • taking a direct damage or DoT spell could help with pulling
    • adding a melee damage modifier would help - especially if the bonuses stack

Any Cleric
    • Purifier's self shield seems like a good utility spell for all clerics
    • Sentinel's instant heal would help all clerics (for healing clerics this assumes that any branch instant heal abilities are in addition to this)

So, with the information we have now, it seems like if you're a melee cleric you have quite a few choices to make as several of the 0 point root abilities help while if you're a healing cleric it really only makes sense to add Purifier or Sentinel to the mix (assuming one of those isn't already in your build which one likely is). When we get more information on the remaining cleric souls this could change but, right now, it seems like if you want to be a healing cleric the soul combinations that make sense for you are very limited.

Thoughts?

In my opinion having a 0 point purifier would be pretty nice...I'm a huge fan of shields.

Computer: Massive sexy beast that rocks your socks off

with a few souls yet to be shown, im holding on my build. i know what i am looking for for my group build , raid build and solo build, so once the rest are out i can start my builds with all the info in hand, but that being said once a game go live thats when your fine tuning really starts.

Have an ale

Kegkiller

I think the purifier 0 point isn't too shabby, shields are always a bonus whether you're a healer or dps! Though I'll probably hold out until I really know more about all of the classes, as well. ;)

"melee cleric" just bothers me.

Rift Master

Originally, cleric was that guy in armor with a mace and he wasn't afraid to use it. He was a less "fighty" version of the paladin.

Yeah, I understand and know that a melee class that can also heal themselves (or others) basically just pwns - and is therefore really desireable for soloing and pvp. I wish there was such a thing as a pure healer - powerful, but that's all you are expected to do. That would suit me!

Check out both the Sentinel and Warden souls. Very much "hardcore healer" type souls.

yeah, warden and purifier seem like the main healers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sentinel looks very interesting to me. I, sadly, have the bad fortune to REALLY like classes of healers that can't buy a raid later in the game. Warden in EQ2 broke my heart. It really did.

Rift rewards those who embrace flexibility. It's not going to be enough for you to be a great Sentinel or a great Justicar. You need to be a good Cleric, capable of and willing to swap out your abilities as the situation dictates.

As a raid leader, it is at once both challenging and liberating. You are no longer bound looking for "that class". You're now looking for a player who can bring it all to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Banditman View Post
    Rift rewards those who embrace flexibility. It's not going to be enough for you to be a great Sentinel or a great Justicar. You need to be a good Cleric, capable of and willing to swap out your abilities as the situation dictates.

As a raid leader, it is at once both challenging and liberating. You are no longer bound looking for "that class". You're now looking for a player who can bring it all to the table.

This post right here is why I'm looking forward to the game. I'm pretty sure there is going to end up being an 'optimal' spec for raid healing - there always is. At first you need varieties of specs, but after the raid is geared up a little it boils down to extreme min/maxing, then it is usually 'a' spec.

But I also think that individual people won't be precluded based on class, which is awesome. That means if you know what you are doing, vs. you rolled the wrong class - you'll be wanted in a raid.

(also disclaimer: in EQ2 I had Defiler, Templar and Warden. I had a raid spot, I just couldn't play my favorite).

Plane Walker

I am most worried that there will be the 'win' build, wherein all or most healers will have to fit into one or two types of builds to be successful for raids. Class balance is, to me, the biggest issue RIFT faces as it approaches Beta.

I don't think that's a worry at all. That simply requires that each soul have truly unique abilities. A quick investigation shows that this already exists, at least to some extent.

Take for instance "Cures".

In perusing the soul trees we have knowledge of so far, we see that there are, at least, the following types of effects which will require a cure: Disease, Bleed, Curse, Poison and Physical. It's fairly likely that there are a couple more, I'd say probably heat and cold.

Now, when you start going through those souls, looking specifically for the ability to cure those effects, you find that there is absolutely no soul that we have knowledge of now who is able to remove ALL of those effects. In fact, there are three souls who have no cure ability at all: Shaman, Justicar and Inquisitor.

In fact, even using two souls, it's not possible to gain abilities to cure an unlimited number of those effects off a target. The cure that does that is the 26 point ability in the Purifier and Warden roots. Sure, you could use the lesser abilities which remove limited numbers of those effects, but again, you cannot get everything in one build.

This is just one example of how you can't simply say "All raid healers need to be Sentinels and we wtfpwnbbq this encounter".

Quote Originally Posted by Banditman View Post
    I don't think that's a worry at all. That simply requires that each soul have truly unique abilities. A quick investigation shows that this already exists, at least to some extent.

Take for instance "Cures".

In perusing the soul trees we have knowledge of so far, we see that there are, at least, the following types of effects which will require a cure: Disease, Bleed, Curse, Poison and Physical. It's fairly likely that there are a couple more, I'd say probably heat and cold.

Now, when you start going through those souls, looking specifically for the ability to cure those effects, you find that there is absolutely no soul that we have knowledge of now who is able to remove ALL of those effects. In fact, there are three souls who have no cure ability at all: Shaman, Justicar and Inquisitor.

In fact, even using two souls, it's not possible to gain abilities to cure an unlimited number of those effects off a target. The cure that does that is the 26 point ability in the Purifier and Warden roots. Sure, you could use the lesser abilities which remove limited numbers of those effects, but again, you cannot get everything in one build.

This is just one example of how you can't simply say "All raid healers need to be Sentinels and we wtfpwnbbq this encounter".
    Nice post. To add to this idea, it's really the encounter that breeds the strategy so I think the devs need to be careful to construct raids with encounters that will require a wide variety of builds. The only time min/max makes sense is when the raid is static or predictable enough that someone is able to nail down the optimum spec needed to most efficiently defeat it. It might be difficult to design a single encounter that can't be (min/max)ed but I'm hoping they offer enough variety among the encounters to make (min/max)ing a raid extremely difficult.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast