Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pet classes

Default Pet classes

So,

We have:
    mage pet class - Elementalist
    Cleric pet class - Druid
    Rogue pet class - Ranger

The poor warrior classes do not seem to have one.

Would like to see them come up with something for the poor walking tin cans.

LOTRO has the champion with his standard bearers for example.

Its very common in lore/history for Knights to have a man servant of sorts. There a lot of variations on the theme. But someone who travelled with the knight and maintained his armor and even "faught" along side him.

Or a Barbarian type, ie grizzly adams with a bear.

Maybe a Monk with a spiritual companion

Or a noble style (rapier using Dandy) fighter with a hunting hawk.

Just wondering if they will fill out the pattern.

Cheers

I'm not sure if the warrior community would want a pet class. A fire and forget type of pet might be ok, but adding something else to manage on top of threat and watching for adds might be a bit much. Good situational awareness is paramount for warrior classes, excluding DPS warriors. Micromanaging a pet on top of those things would be rough for most.

However, AoC did a pretty good job with Dark Templar pets. They were a fire and forget type of pet that would snatch aggro and tank a mob until it died. Anything else can be justified with auras or shouts. I would rather have that than a buff pet that can be killed.
    Last edited by Sever; 10-25-2010 at 10:06 AM.

The Warrior calling has Beastmaster
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

My comments excluded DPS types. Obviously they don't need to worry about the same types of things as true tanks. It's one thing to occasionally OT with a pet, it's another to MT and factor a pet in.

Oh,

My bad, is Beastmaster a confirmed or theorized calling?

Quote Originally Posted by Tictic-boom View Post
    Oh,

Not sure if its been confirmed but with a class named Beastmaster it would imply that they would have control over the beasts.

LOTRO has the champion with his standard bearers for example.

The captains in LotRo have pets ;). They are also more of a support class then a balls out melee.

Also, I think we might be seeing some pets with....stormcaller?

Stormcaller is the AE Mage.

Elementalist is a confirmed and well documented Mage pet class. Necromancer is another 'assumed' pet using Mage.

Oh,

I think the name has just been mentioned in interviews.
    Last edited by Helspyre; 10-25-2010 at 11:19 AM.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

Shield of Telara

Hartsman plays/has been playing a Beastmaster, he's mentioned it in interviews.

I believe Warhammer is the only game (worth a darn) that had a melee class with a pet, and that was a White Lion.

Very unique class and it took a good amount of skill to play them to the best of there abilities!

Always good to see unique classes, even if people complain that they are OP from the start That happens to every single class that gets or has something unique!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Barlow View Post
    I believe Warhammer is the only game (worth a darn) that had a melee class with a pet, and that was a White Lion.

Very unique class and it took a good amount of skill to play them to the best of there abilities!

Always good to see unique classes, even if people complain that they are OP from the start That happens to every single class that gets or has something unique!
    DAOC (the game Mythic made before Warhammer) had a class called the Minstrel that was melee/support hybrid, and could charm a pet full-time . Was pretty fun. I love pet classes in general, so I'm hopeful they work well in Rift.
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 10-25-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

The Game FinalFantasy IX online wich i've played for many years now. Have a great Pet class also called (Beastmaster)

You have something called "Jug Pets" wich is consumable item that you obtain from cooking craft, or from mob drops.

These you can control as you like, at high level you have plenty of different abilitys / commands.

Snarl = Transfers all enmity (hate) from you into ur jug pet.
    Leave = sais it all
    Stay = makes pet stationary but also lets pet regen HP much faster.
    Ready = lets ur pet use points it obtains by hitting or recieve hits from enemy, and use a special move.
    Heel = well oposit of Stay.

These jug pets are mostly used when there is no charm-able monster / beast nearby.
    Usually you charm all other mobs in the area, and let them fight eachother to gain XP solo. But there are also non-charmable mobs. Like Beastmen and (humanoid-ish) NPCs. Problem with this is, The charm can fail and then the mob you try charm aggro you until you can try charm again when Cooldown is gone. (8sec) The charm also breaks. How soon it break depends on mobs level towards you and if the mobs have a charm resist trait. But also you have the ability to increase charm success by getting gear that give you (Charisma) Pet charm breaks from all to 10-15sec for mobs 3-4 levels higher, to up to 10-15min for mobs few levels below.

This is by far the best and most enjoyable pet control class i've ever played in all MMO's i've played since 1996.

Something else... The Pathfinding on the pets are very good, they follow you close if you run, and they usually run straight line to mob when you command it to attack, unless there is something solid in its shortest route to target.

Something about this is thou.. You dont create any bond with ur pets. always new ones. And you dont name them. Like Pets from other games (UO,WoW etc)

But i'm sure there is a way to create a mix of all good features from different pet classes in other games. But Square Enix did it the best. IMO.

The Game also have a class called "Puppetmaster" here its more like WoW hunter. But 1000 times better you obtain different "Frames and heads" to 3 different "Automatons" Ranged attack, Magic, and Melee focused. The Automatons become more personal as you name them. You also equip them in their own equipement menu with different kind of Attachments. Wich has different uses depending on what kind of Automaton and what you are going to fight, and situation. Magic one can be either a Fullscale Healer with no offensive magic, or a pure offensive magic caster. And the 3rd wich is a combination, with also has de-buffing magic.

Really wish i could see this effort put in a pet-controling class in other games. Because Hunter in WoW dont cut it. UO has it pro and con's. ****ty pathfinding and movement, but great with the skill training.

I'm a big fan of micromanagement and pet classes in games i play. And if you want a pet class... you must enjoy the micromanagement of some sort aswell. And the more of it, the merrier! Experimenting what pet suits you best etc etc.

So i hope i get to see this effort put into pet classes here. (Beastmaster)

I also hear they will probably put it under Warrior. Wich is fine by me, As in Finalfantasy its the same. pure melee. And it works brilliant. Fight side-by-side with ur pet, and die with ur pet! They could also add traps for Beastmaster. (CC and also strategic for damage)

No need to spend time correct my spelling, i'm aware of them

So far I've only seen pets summoned through abilities like Call: Lesser Razorbeast.

Have anyone seen/heard any indication that you might be able to train your own pets? Or maybe choose appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by Odlox View Post
    So far I've only seen pets summoned through abilities like Call: Lesser Razorbeast.

Have anyone seen/heard any indication that you might be able to train your own pets? Or maybe choose appearance?
    I've seen screenshots of a pet stats window, which indicates a bit more than disposable throw-away pets you have no effect over.

Ikarios, interesting info... I never looked into the Final Fantasy MMO's much, sounds like a cool system . Your feeling on micromanagement is accurate for me at least, I view it as a second mini-character if done right!
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast