+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel

Thread: Tank gear and guard

Default Tank gear and guard

Is freaking annoying.

I just changed 2 pieces from running iGP (My cape and a earring) and both items I changed had guard on them. The 2 new pieces doesn't have guard on them and I'm now under 10% guard for T2. (9.16%)

I understand that guard is there to gate tanks from tanking without the appropriate gear, but the guard requirement is so high we need almost every pieces to be guard or we are below the needed guard.

I'm now with 7 pieces of T2 gear and the rest is all T1 gear and T1 relic gear. It doesn't make any sense for me to be below the guard cap, especially when the majority of my gear is guard.

Trion seriously need to rethink how the guard stat is distributed and function in raid.
    Why not just putting a raw amount of guard on each pieces depending on the tier so we get 10% from having full T1 gear for T2 and higher if we have T2 gear?
    Toughness style but on every pieces. Then give block or dodge. Does it really need to be 3 different stats like DPS gear?
    Why is it that Crit Power is super easy to cap while Guard is such a pain to get?
    What will we do for T3 when every piece you change may drop you by an even greater % just from changing it?
    Last edited by Snap; 08-23-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

I'll trade you some guard. I'm over the hard cap.

This is a problem, though, especially with how bad Dodge/Block are. Needing to stack guard on almost every single piece of gear is just terrible.
    Last edited by Sedvick; 08-23-2015 at 07:49 PM.

Sure, give me some of your guard.
    I was close to hard cap (11.56 I believe) 3 days ago.
    Now I'm below the soft cap (9.16).
    Only changed 3 pieces in the last 3 days and 1 of them has more guard than what I replace.

Block and dodge is bad alright. But I think its more problematic that Guard is the most over-weighted stat in any MMO I've ever played.

It's so overly weighted that a crafted cape with guard is better than a T2 cape without guard if it means dropping below the soft cap for guard.

When even past soft cap, it's still the best stats over everything, including endurance...
    Last edited by Snap; 08-23-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

The core problem is the way that the T2 anti-guard mechanic works. I think I posted about this a few months ago in the tank spreadsheet thread, but basically, Guard is ~4.5x as effective per point in T2 as it was in T1, and it was already *really good* in T1.

The amplification is so extreme that post-T2 softcap, each point of Guard worth almost as much as each point of pre-softcap T1 Guard. It's so extreme that you hit the T2 hardcap before the T1 hardcap. It's so extreme that I had to make a separate tab on my spreadsheet that was normalized for Guard, because the small itemization differences between the sets of T2 test gear were creating large discrepancies in the calculations completely unrelated to the specs themselves.

The simplest solution to this problem is to completely change the T2 anti-guard mechanic so that it just subtracts a flat amount from your Guard rating but doesn't change the amount of mitigation per point in any way. Note that this is still not a good solution, but it's far, far less bad than what exists right now.
    Last edited by Muspel; 08-24-2015 at 08:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread