+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ranking of aoe specs

Soulwalker

Default Ranking of aoe specs

Was just curious about what is the best aoe spec? From what I observed in raids among the 4 classes, it seems to be stormcaller > champion > cabalist > saboteur. This might be wrong since not everyone is equally geared.

it depends on the encounter/number of targets. cab scales better with more targets than other aoe specs, so it's dps potential is generally higher than every other pure aoe spec.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Telaran

What do you think about tactician ?
    I always see lots of damage in rift-meter when tacticinans fighting a large amount of mobs with their floods

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Nirti View Post
    Was just curious about what is the best aoe spec? From what I observed in raids among the 4 classes, it seems to be stormcaller > champion > cabalist > saboteur. This might be wrong since not everyone is equally geared.
    The list is about right, but cab outscales everything else at high number of targets.

Rift Disciple

Default Dom

I have a Dominator spec that is neck and neck with SC on certain fights and sometimes higher. Surprised its not on the list.

For my main, I play a Rouge - Saboteur with 61 points in Sab. I do not use a 1 button macro spam that people constantly talk about for Sab's - I have 3 main macros that I use constantly for AoE's and timing is everything for these. In NM Rifts, regular Rifts when we pull all mobs together, zone events with a bunch of adds, Invasions, footholds and raid trash, my Rift DPS Meter tells me I am usually top dps 9 times out of 10. That or the rift Meter is not working properly. I am in no way, shape or form - "not" bragging at all - please do not take it that way. I am just backing up the Sab's AoE dps from personal experience.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirti View Post
    everyone is equally geared.
    This is a huge point to consider for this thread. For an accurate comparison, the players stats will have to be pretty close/equal before making a judgement call.
    Last edited by Azteck; 08-08-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
    I have a Dominator spec that is neck and neck with SC on certain fights and sometimes higher. Surprised its not on the list.
    do the fights last less than 20 seconds?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Azteck View Post
    ...Saboteur with 61 points in Sab ...
    54 Sab >> 61 Sab, just fyi.

Also, from what I understand the aoe souls are somewhat balanced. Champ is the highest, but it is melee, so you do not see it shine very often. Cab scales the best with targets, especially with lots of little tagets that die quickly. SC is solid, and will be the highest in most normal situations since it doesnt have very many drawbacks other than movement, and, from what I understand, 54 Sab is the lowest, but not by very much.

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

Plane Touched

Shamen aoe, especially with the aoe crystal, is pretty respectable. On quicker fights with 5 or less targets (like nte trash) it can pull ahead of cab, since cab needs a little ramp up time
    Jabnlab@Hailol <impulse>- lvl 65 Cleric 1300 hit-
    9/12 T1 5/11 hk 4/4 IGP 1/4 IGP HM

Quote Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
    What do you think about tactician ?
    I always see lots of damage in rift-meter when tacticinans fighting a large amount of mobs with their floods
    Tactician is mostly popular because it can AoE targets that are in a line, instead of a cluster. This works out really well in Nightmare Rifts where it can take some time to gather mobs up, because you can AoE mobs that are up to 20m apart.

But it's not very indicative of the raw AoE DPS potential compared to other AoE souls. Don't get me wrong, Tactician does have strong AoE-- but it's not on par with souls like Cabalist.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Tactician is mostly popular because it can AoE targets that are in a line, instead of a cluster. This works out really well in Nightmare Rifts where it can take some time to gather mobs up, because you can AoE mobs that are up to 20m apart.
    Don't the torrents have a 30m range? Can't confirm right now, but I'm quite positive I've tested with dummies. However, with that 30m range, I'm fairly sure you have to get to the centre of their hit box, rather than edges like targeted attacks.

Prophet of Telara

If you go to dummy foundry you will see champion has the best aoe but its use is not so practical because it is melee. A good champion will sit at top of meters on a fight like Matron and also deal better ST than every other straight AoE spec.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Caldorian View Post
    Don't the torrents have a 30m range? Can't confirm right now, but I'm quite positive I've tested with dummies. However, with that 30m range, I'm fairly sure you have to get to the centre of their hit box, rather than edges like targeted attacks.
    Torrent tooltip increases doesnt really translate into it's actual range. Torrent's maximum effective range seems to be 25m at the very dead center. Unless something has changed I believe that 25m is the real "effective" range of torrent.

This issue raised when tactman was one of the prime raiding spec back in early SL, but people were unable to stand at ~30m and reach their target with torrents while their empyrean ray (30m range) could reach no problem. Even at 25-30m range many mobs could still be missed. It was generally accepted that 20-25m is the effective range of torrents regardless of range increasing talents.

Lastly Torrents used to have no target/tick limitation, this was nerfed heavily because of torrents were just trashing CQ big time.

Currently Tactician has no comparable AoE dps to other real aoe soul as long as targets are nicely grouped up.

btw, who the hell use sab in NMR? Sab will waste so much time before it can really start doing damage, should just stick to NB and BD. If you are topping chart in NMR as sab... that's probably not a good raid to push high stage in V and VI.

Quote Originally Posted by FateStayNight View Post
    The list is about right, but cab outscales everything else at high number of targets.
    This^^^

And you have a damage debuff (5%). and really nice multiple target purge that can fire as fast as the GCD for a period of time too. This spec has awesome utility. it just rocks with a lot of multiple target situation.
    Niriena, Kearlet, Smilely, Rium

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Croix01 View Post
    This^^^

And you have a damage debuff (5%). and really nice multiple target purge that can fire as fast as the GCD for a period of time too. This spec has awesome utility. it just rocks with a lot of multiple target situation.
    Ember bomb from rogues provide same debuff and its built into their ez mode rotation with 0 damage loss. One thing to remember is that cab has an horrendous ramp up time.. this has a very influential effect on its dps. Even sabs complain and they have no where near the ramp up as cab.
    Last edited by Planetx; 08-15-2015 at 11:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast