+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fatbahmi
  • 2 Post By Muspel

Thread: Coming back to Rift, looking to tank.

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2

    Default Coming back to Rift, Looking for info on classes to decide what I roll.

    So as the title says, I'm coming back to Rift, and I am looking to tank. I looked around at some topics and people were complaining, somewhat recently about Warrior tanks losing aggro pretty easily.

    Well I love tanking, and I enjoyed Reaver tanking (I KNOW, its not a thing anymore. Keep Reaver out of it.) So looks like VK or Pally are the other options here as a main soul.
    As far as other classes, I don't have the dream souls, only the storm souls, and Rogues are out of the question.

    I guess what I am getting at here is, are warrior tanks in PvE still viable? Is the threat issue resolved, or is it even that large an issue to begin with? If I tank, am I better off rolling Cleric?
    Beyond that I saw that if not for Reaver, most people wouldn't even play Warrior anymore..

    Past that, I also say Harbingers got their ***** stuffed. No longer a thing apparently. Can they still be at the least, "OK" in PvP/PvE? How are Mages in general for that. (I really wanna roll Harbinger if there is even a viable spec out there.)

    How are Clerics right now? I haven't had time to read up on them..

    tl:dr Been away from Rift for a while. (Following applies for both PvE and PvP)
    How are Warriors? (Primarily for tanking, NO REAVER TALK.)
    How are Clerics now?
    How are Mages now? (Primarily in respect to Harbinger.. I know they got nerfed. Are they viable still at ALL?)
    Just need info to decide what I will roll first..

    I realize after making the post, I wanted to talk about more than tanking. Sorry that the title became misleading. My bad.
    Last edited by Hashii; 07-15-2015 at 11:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser fatbahmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    383

    Default

    tanking, you say?

    *sets up arcane paraphernalia*

    ROUGHRAPTORS or MUSPEL, I SUMMON THEE!!!

    clerics and mages have a FAR, FAR easier time when it gets to generating and keeping aggro.
    when tanking with a mage or cleric, warrior tanks initially need to hit stuff really hard to make it stick to them, or the cleric/mage's insane aggro generation will rip off the mob from them.

    but if you setup your taunts/tank swaps intelligently, this becomes a very minor problem.

    warriors are ok right now. reaver is best at dps if you're geared. there's atleast 2 fights in HK where warriors are recommended to tank with, and they're the 3rd most wanted class for AOE healing. almost all HK bosses benefit from a BM support.

    clerics are in a worse spot than warriors, their dps is at the bottom, the only guaranteed cleric spots are puri and defiler (and maybe a justicar tank), bard is a bit better than oracle, plus is a free soul, so its used m,ore often.

    as for mages, you're NOT a harbinger... you're a MAGE, you can heal, archon, tank or dps.
    there's atleast 2 raid spots (even 3, double WG ftw) for mages in every raid, and thanks to new harb changes, (read : broken OP) healing, we might even see a spike in mage demand in dps roles.

    if i was you, i'd roll a cleric.
    why? gear. i've only ever seen a epic mage T1 tank staff... never seen the relic one, or the epic one from experts... and i've been clearing T1 atleast once for past 3 months.
    on the other hand, my cleric toon has got almost every T1 tank drop, except for chest, helmet and hands.

    if you're not interested in tanking, i suggest rolling a warrior. reaver is potato-easy to play atm, and most guilds want more warriors (since T2 = stack warriors and rogues to win).

    EDIT : STUFF I SAY MIGHT BE WRONG, IM NOT 100% WELL VERSED IN THE WAY OF TANKING (people start soul recalling whenever i put on my tank spec), BUT IM PASSIONATE ABOUT IT. wait for muspel or roughraptors to come and teach you.
    Last edited by fatbahmi; 07-16-2015 at 02:11 AM.

  3. #3
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,741

    Default

    VKs are the most versatile and have a lot of personal cooldowns. Justicars can MUCH more easily tank from range and bring a battle rez.

  4. #4
    Plane Touched Dimples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    290

    Default

    As a Warrior tank, the only time I have issues with agro is from inexperienced or inept OT's. Or silly DPS that hit the mob(s) on my countdown (3-2-1-"pulling") and they hit the mobs before I say "pulling".
    Dimples Warrior Tank * If she flashes her dimples at you, it may cause pleasurable blindness.
    Dweia Rogue Tank * Nothing seems to express happiness quite as much as purring.
    Laurie Cleric Tank * Life without Love, is like chocolate cake made without sugar.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Harbs just got a buff not a nerf but they are a DPS spec. I think your looking for Arbiter. Generally if you want to MT though Id say War or Cleric are both fine options all 4 can do 5 man content.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbahmi View Post
    warriors are ok right now. reaver is best at dps if you're geared. there's atleast 2 fights in HK where warriors are recommended to tank with, and they're the 3rd most wanted class for AOE healing. almost all HK bosses benefit from a BM support.

    clerics are in a worse spot than warriors, their dps is at the bottom, the only guaranteed cleric spots are puri and defiler (and maybe a justicar tank), bard is a bit better than oracle, plus is a free soul, so its used m,ore often.

    as for mages, you're NOT a harbinger... you're a MAGE, you can heal, archon, tank or dps.
    there's atleast 2 raid spots (even 3, double WG ftw) for mages in every raid, and thanks to new harb changes, (read : broken OP) healing, we might even see a spike in mage demand in dps roles.

    if i was you, i'd roll a cleric.
    why? gear. i've only ever seen a epic mage T1 tank staff... never seen the relic one, or the epic one from experts... and i've been clearing T1 atleast once for past 3 months.
    on the other hand, my cleric toon has got almost every T1 tank drop, except for chest, helmet and hands.

    if you're not interested in tanking, i suggest rolling a warrior. reaver is potato-easy to play atm, and most guilds want more warriors (since T2 = stack warriors and rogues to win).


    K now I appreciate all the info you brought forth but I feel like you just skimmed my post and didn't actually read it. I said don't bring Reavers into it, I know all about their changes.

    I asked specifically if speaking of mage for it to be in reference to Harbinger and you went out of your way to state that I'm not a Harbinger? I know they got changed and all I see is *****ing about it. I want someone to give an intelligent response about the changes not "TRION Y U BREAK MY FAVE CLASS".

    Also you say Clerics wont get in many Raids as MAYBE there will be a spot for a Justicar, but have a lot of gear drops. So despite the tough time getting into a raid, and despite having some of the lowest DPS for a tank, you would still recommend rolling a cleric. Im just a tad confused. I feel it would defeat the purpose.

    I thank you for your input as I found some of it useful, however I am still looking for more, from more people. And not just about tanking.
    Last edited by Hashii; 07-16-2015 at 09:48 AM.

  7. #7
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,741

    Default

    Drops are pure RNG and "anecdote" is not the plural of "data". Ignore his comments about drops.
    Top tier raiding guilds (all 9? of them) may take fewer DPS clerics because their DPS may be a few kps less than other callings' DPS. Everyone else prefers the better player no matter the calling. (For example, my guild, which is 4/4 x3, 1/3, 4/5, 0/11, takes me whenever they can because I am at the top, or near it, of the DPS charts, and I main a Cleric (they also take me because I can do every single role, but 95% of the time they want me to DPS)).

  8. #8
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbahmi View Post
    ROUGHRAPTORS or MUSPEL, I SUMMON THEE!!!
    You rang?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hashii View Post
    So looks like VK or Pally are the other options here as a main soul.
    It's going to be VK. Paladin... isn't very useful right now. It's not that the spec is bad, it's just that VK is better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hashii View Post
    I guess what I am getting at here is, are warrior tanks in PvE still viable? Is the threat issue resolved, or is it even that large an issue to begin with? If I tank, am I better off rolling Cleric?
    Yes, warriors are viable. The threat issue was never much a problem in the first place. You can roll a cleric if you want, but you don't have to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hashii View Post
    I asked specifically if speaking of mage for it to be in reference to Harbinger and you went out of your way to state that I'm not a Harbinger? I know they got changed and all I see is *****ing about it. I want someone to give an intelligent response about the changes not "TRION Y U BREAK MY FAVE CLASS".
    That's not what he was saying. What he's talking about is that in Rift, you should never think of your character as just one spec. Yes, you can (and sometimes will) play Harbinger... but no matter which class you picked, you need to be able to use multiple specs. If you limit yourself to one or two builds, you aren't going to be welcome in anything other than the most casual groups.

    For example, I spend most of my time playing Bladedancer and Riftstalker. But I'm a rogue, not either of those, because I should be (and am) ready and willing to play other builds in situations that require it.
    Last edited by Muspel; 07-16-2015 at 08:22 PM.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser fatbahmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hashii View Post
    K now I appreciate all the info you brought forth but I feel like you just skimmed my post and didn't actually read it. I said don't bring Reavers into it, I know all about their changes.

    I asked specifically if speaking of mage for it to be in reference to Harbinger and you went out of your way to state that I'm not a Harbinger? I know they got changed and all I see is *****ing about it. I want someone to give an intelligent response about the changes not "TRION Y U BREAK MY FAVE CLASS".

    Also you say Clerics wont get in many Raids as MAYBE there will be a spot for a Justicar, but have a lot of gear drops. So despite the tough time getting into a raid, and despite having some of the lowest DPS for a tank, you would still recommend rolling a cleric. Im just a tad confused. I feel it would defeat the purpose.

    I thank you for your input as I found some of it useful, however I am still looking for more, from more people. And not just about tanking.
    i didnt skim the post... reaver IS currently the face of warriors. top dps, top utility. if you;re going to raid, you're going to play a reaver. there's nothing to *****foot about. other warrior souls have been dominated by reaver.

    also, what i mean is, if you;re going to try play a "harbinger", you're going to have a really bad time...

    as for the raid spots, that is ASSUMING everyone is at similar skill level. if you're godlike cleric dps, sure, you'll get instant invite over an average reaver.

  10. #10
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    229

    Default

    If I got you right, you're asking about the most viable class for tanking while also wanting to discuss DPS (but leave Reaver out for some reason).
    For tanking right now, any of the 4 callings performs reasonably in at least 1 spec. (warrior in VK, the others in their respective tank specs). There is no class that is severely underperforming at tanking in PvE. For some fights, a specific tank class is preferred (like justicar on guurloth), but generally you can tank as anything as soon as you're geared and you know what you're doing.
    As for DPS, like others have pointed out, the spec you didn't want to mention here is currently the dominant DPS spec for warriors in virtually all situations. This focus on a single spec, and the low skill requirement for that spec, makes warriors a very solid choice for beginners to DPS with. The other three classes are all a bit harder initially, because a) you need more than one spec and b) the specs aren't as easy as youknowwhichone, but none of them are completely unviable.
    It is true that cleric is a bit behind, but unless you're looking at the absolute top level, the damage charts will always be influenced much more by gear and player skill than by class balance. A guild/raid leader who knows what they're doing will always choose the player, not the class (Sorry for that overused proverb), meaning that if you know your specs well and are decently geared, you will have no trouble DPSing and with any class.
    You didn't mention healing, but i'll still say something about that. If you want to heal a tank, the only viable choice for endgame is Cleric/Purifier right now. That is kind of sad, but true.
    For raid healing however, cleric is the only class that some consider unviable. And while warden is far from unviable, it is still a fair bit behind Phystact, Chloro and Liberator. All in all, "main healers" who do little else than healing are usually Purifiers and sometimes Chloros, rogues and warrior rarely get to focus purely on a healing spec, since they aren't needed in every fight.
    Last edited by Athanil; 08-04-2015 at 02:14 PM.
    Athanil@Gelidra <Harshmallows>
    -- 11/11 HK | 8/9 MoM | 4/4 CoA NM --

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts