+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soul combines

Default Soul combines

Good morning all.

Have a question. I have read as much of the forums as one can when finding a new addcition and still keep wife agroo under control. I have played MMO's for about 10 years and i must say i find whats going on here fresh and wonderfull. so anyways heres my question, and i have found conflicting answers here on the forums and vidoes out there.

If your main calling is say a heal type and thats your *main soul* are you only allowed to gain other healer souls, or can i bring in a Magi soul for fire power then say a scout soul for *run ran away skills* Hey a deal healer rez's no one!

Any reply from an alpha/dev would be great for a firm answer or somebody who is in the know.

Kegkiller

Just other healer souls. You won't be able to do other classes.

You can aquire special souls, but they do not have anything to do with the class callings, as far as I know.

Thank for the reply mira.
    Sad and happy about that. As a life time healer type i am happy that i can focus on doing my job and doing it well! on the other some type of pick pocket for ale money skill would have been welcome.

It should also be noted that there are dps-oriented souls both in the tank and cleric archtype so you have options, as well as 'tanky' souls in scout/mage classes.

Hi Kegkiller, glad you found us

I know other people already answered your question, but I'd like to add that there is quite a variety of souls found in the cleric calling. You might be interested in looking at this thread: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...risons-of-each

And here's a quick copy/paste of the OP in that thread:

Now that a lot of the cleric trees have been revieled I thought it would be helpful to make a post with a short overview of each sub-class so that people could get a general idea about the strengths/weaknesses of each one. Sort of a snapshot. I have trouble tabbing through and remembering the different ones (for some reason I keep getting justicar and inquisitor mixed up), so this might be a good place to discuss the merits of each, and the sweetest multi-soul setups we can come up with.

Inquisitor – The inquisitor is actually set up more like a ranged spell caster and damage over time spell caster than a typical cleric. They have a number of offensive life and death based ‘bolt’ abilities, and a number of strong buffs that increase resistances, increase mana regeneration, manages threat, and causes fear/confusion in their enemies. There are few heals available to this class and no in/out of combat resurrects. This class will likely play like a crowd control/caster.

Justicar – This class sound very cool and is the most unique of the healers. They place spells/buffs called convictions on themselves or allies (some built up through melee attacks) that have a stacking effect (move convictions = stronger buff). They then use skills called Doctrines that remove the convictions to heal the party. The more convictions cashed in, the stronger the effect of the heal. In addition, they have some direct heals as well as 2 in combat resurrects, a weaker one that brings an ally back with 20% health, and a stronger one that brings an ally back with 100% health. I have a feeling the Justicar will be a ‘thinking mans’ class, as you need to evaluate when/who to put convictions on, and best time to cash them in. They will need to be proactive instead of reactive.

Purifier – The purifier mixes single target healing, shields that absorb damage, and some ranged casting. Their healing is quite potent, and as far as instant heals may only be behind the sentinel. Many of their heals also create a shield around either the caster or target that can soak up a large amount of damage. They can remove status effects and have an out of combat resurrect. While a sentinel may have larger heals overall, the purifiers shields likely prevent large amounts of damage from even reaching the target. For their capstone ability, if a target is healed beyond 100% of their life, the excess is given to all party members within 5m.

Sentinel – The sentinel is the most classical cleric of the group. They have a number of rapid cast single target and group heals, and have a number of buffs that increase both armor and health. They also have a fair number of ranged spell based attacks that seem to do a reasonable amount of damage, as well as some spells that mitigate damage to the caster. They seem to be a strong defensive healer and have an in/out of combat resurrect.

Shaman – This is a melee damage (staves and two handed maces) class that has a number of very potent buffs. Many of their skills increase melee attack damage and critical magnitude, and shamans have a number of single target and area effect melee abilities. Their buffs seem to be unmatched, enhancing everything including stats, resistances, mana regeneration, armor, and stealth detection, although they lack heals and any resurrects. In gameplay this class will probably buff the party members before fights and spend much of the time engaged in melee using their formidable 2h attacks.

Warden – This is a water based cleric that centers around group wide heals over time, and extremely potent ones at that! They have a large number of HoTs available, and also have the ability to surround targets with 3 floating water orbs. Each time the character takes damage one of the orbs will burst and heal all targets in the vicinity. They have two incredibly high HoTs for the whole group (1 for around 2400 life over 8 seconds) and in combat have a number of water based attack spells they can use from range. On the downside, the warden lacks a number of quick cast heals so they will have to plan ahead, and they also lack any in/out of combat resurrects.

There are to additional classes that haven't had their skill trees published as of yet, those are:

Cabalist - this is a priest that draws power from the spirits of Telara and not from the gods. Their abilities and playstyle are yet unknown.

Druid - we know this is the pet class for the clerics, but the ability list is still unknown.

Thanks Selene

I'm glad to be here. As a full time healer i love the idea of being able to mix in other healer traits to my style. Coming up with my own mix of tricks and tips. I know alot of people like healer but i have been a healer in all my mmo with my main being a defiler from day one in eq2 and still run that defiler to this day(6years).

ill start looking the the trees as they come out and see what might and might not work. Once the game is live the real fun starts cause we all know what works on paper does not mean it will always work live.

Thank again for the info everybody looking forward to saveing your skin for ale sometime soon.

Oh, I forgot to mention - you can play with some of the cleric trees at http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/
    There are more of the cleric soul trees to mess around with than any of the others, so have fun! Keep in mind of course, that this was based on a fairly old alpha build.

+ Reply to Thread