+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking to get into the game

Soulwalker

Default Looking to get into the game

Basically, I just want some basic info on the different tanks. I played Monk and DK in WoW, and liked the play style of DK. I like Tanks that use AOE based threat and can self heal. Although I can play mitigation tanks as well, I suck at playing avoidance tanks.

So I just wanted to pick your brains and get some suggestions on the different tanks. I was thinking about going Reaver but I see that they are now mainly DPS. The website doesnt have much explanation on how the classes play just what they are.

Edit: I should also say that I usually stick to end game raiding and PvE.
    Last edited by ReaverZail; 06-28-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Haven't played WoW
    Avoidance tanks aren't really a thing, unless you really want to and are a mage tank
    Mage tanks are a paid soul
    All tanks can ST and AoE tank ez
    Rogue tanks have the most buttons to push
    Cleric tanks have the most self-heals

All tanks are mitigation tanks in rift. Arbiter (mage) is my personal favorite since the charge mechanic is the main difference between others.

On fun ranking I'd classify them from best to worst:
    Arbiter
    Riftstalker
    Void knight
    Paladin
    Justicar

What most people want for raids in order:
    Justicar (extra rez)
    Void knight
    Arbiter/riftstalker
    Paladin
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric
    Antaikolon@Greybriar-Warrior
    CODE FOR FREE STUFF FOR NEWBIES: PRR9NF2PG2NXQ77KDDJQ

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Avoidance tanks aren't really a thing, unless you really want to and are a mage tank
    Just to clarify this, it's not that all mage tanks are avoidance tanks, it's that there's one specific subspec that they can use that is an avoidance tank. (And it sucks.)

If you are playing a mage tank, and you are using the correct spec, you are a mitigation tank.

Soulwalker

Ok, thanks guys for the info. I'm still deciding between justicar and voidknight. I started a test toon as a justicar, and will most likely be making a voidknight today to test out the first 10 levels. I'm not putting any money into the game right now, so mage tank isn't an option for me right now. And honestly I'm not a big fan of mages in general. I might try one later when I buy the pack.

What weapons do voidknights use? Is it sword (well hammer/mace) and board like the justicar or two handed?

Quote Originally Posted by ReaverZail View Post
    Ok, thanks guys for the info. I'm still deciding between justicar and voidknight. I started a test toon as a justicar, and will most likely be making a voidknight today to test out the first 10 levels. I'm not putting any money into the game right now, so mage tank isn't an option for me right now. And honestly I'm not a big fan of mages in general. I might try one later when I buy the pack.

What weapons do voidknights use? Is it sword (well hammer/mace) and board like the justicar or two handed?
    Warriors abd clerics use main hand and shield, rogues use main hand and off hand weapons, and mage uses staff
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric
    Antaikolon@Greybriar-Warrior
    CODE FOR FREE STUFF FOR NEWBIES: PRR9NF2PG2NXQ77KDDJQ

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Just to clarify this, it's not that all mage tanks are avoidance tanks, it's that there's one specific subspec that they can use that is an avoidance tank. (And it sucks.)

If you are playing a mage tank, and you are using the correct spec, you are a mitigation tank.
    I dont agree with you fully.

For the stats you trade a 10% Base Health (maybe just a little more than 3k in raid gear, a 2% total health) for a flat 20% dodge change to be added to your normal chance (from maybe 7-8% to 27-28%), its true that dodge only works on physical but it's a huge leap.

In the pasives/power side you switch a 25% increased charge generation and a decent spameable heal (10% of your life on 30s cd) for an aditional 8% move speed, an 8% spell power and the procs from Eldricth Armour and maybe a bit more dps.

Depends on the boss (worse on non-phisical encounter, better in physical encounters even if the dodge being an all-or-nothing is not trully reliable) but i wouldn't say that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrdp View Post
    its true that dodge only works on physical but it's a huge leap.
    That is not how dodge works. At all.
    Last edited by Muspel; 07-02-2015 at 07:56 AM.

While you're at it, try the Riftstalker for Rogues.Riftstalker is going to be a bit of a mix between Blood DKs and BrM Monks. You can take a look at their talent tree here.

+ Reply to Thread