+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which class to roll as a dps main?

Soulwalker

Default Which class to roll as a dps main?

Hi, I recently came back to the game. I mainly enjoy PvE in MMOs I have played, especially as dps since it's most comfortable and rewarding role for me.

I know Rift is about swapping souls/roles in raids, but I think there could be 'THE DPS' class that comes into your mind when you think of it, which is highly competitive as dps main given the best efforts and skills from a player.
    Or you can put it this way I guess, which class raids as dps role through most if not all of bosses?

I don't mind swapping souls like melee to ranged or ST heavy to AoE heavy at all, if it's dps main. Which class would you recommend? It would be better if you can put some reasons/thoughts for me(noob) too ;)

Warrior, rogue, mage, or cleric.

Whether or not you spend most of your time DPSing depends primarily on what your guild recruited you as, not what your class is.

That being said, if you are playing a cleric, you are more likely to be called on to heal-- not because cleric DPS is worse than the other classes, but because clerics have several healing builds that are essential on many encounters.
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-10-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Jenoch View Post
    Hi, I recently came back to the game. I mainly enjoy PvE in MMOs I have played, especially as dps since it's most comfortable and rewarding role for me.

I know Rift is about swapping souls/roles in raids, but I think there could be 'THE DPS' class that comes into your mind when you think of it, which is highly competitive as dps main given the best efforts and skills from a player.
    Or you can put it this way I guess, which class raids as dps role through most if not all of bosses?

I don't mind swapping souls like melee to ranged or ST heavy to AoE heavy at all, if it's dps main. Which class would you recommend? It would be better if you can put some reasons/thoughts for me(noob) too ;)
    Each class brings a support/heal/tank option to all fights so its hard to suggest a DPS class.
    However, another way to look at it are to consider which DPS souls are highly recommended in raids.

For example, Warrior - Tempest brings a Crit Buff
    Rogue - Assassin or Blade Dancer brings a Crit debuff, MM/Ranger/Assassin brings armor debuff, MM has purge
    Cleric - Inq brings a non-phys dmg debuff
    Mages main DPS roles do not have additional functionality (outside of high dps) but their half-archon builds all have the highest dps out of the support roles I believe

From the above criteria and list, i would recommend rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruupi View Post
    Each class brings a support/heal/tank option to all fights so its hard to suggest a DPS class.
    However, another way to look at it are to consider which DPS souls are highly recommended in raids.

For example, Warrior - Tempest brings a Crit Buff
    Rogue - Assassin or Blade Dancer brings a Crit debuff, MM/Ranger/Assassin brings armor debuff, MM has purge
    Mages main DPS roles do not have additional functionality (outside of high dps) but their half-archon builds all have the highest dps out of the support roles I believe

From the above criteria and list, i would recommend rogue.
    Thank you for mentioning the debuff on those specs,sir. From my perspective the damage debuffs, particularly, the debuffs that increase overall dps for all contributing is greatly underrated. .
    Niriena, Kearlet, Smilely, Rium

However, because those debuffs are located in souls that are already heavily used, it's incredibly rare that somebody else won't already be using that same spec and providing them.

Also, Assassin does not have an armor debuff. You might be thinking of Sab.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruupi View Post
    This one overwrites / is being overwritten by the non-phys dmg debuff from archon or even bard/oracle, so in raid environment it's something support will bring, not inq.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedryne View Post
    This one overwrites / is being overwritten by the non-phys dmg debuff from archon or even bard/oracle, so in raid environment it's something support will bring, not inq.
    Inq has two non-physical debuffs, one 5% and one 7%. The 7% is in the same stacking group as the archon/bard/oracle debuffs, but the 5% is in a different stacking group. The only other 5% non-physical debuffs are in Cabalist and Defiler. It is truly a Cleric-specific debuff.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Soulwalker

Thank you guys so much for all your answers <3
    I tried Mage and Rogue so far, probably going for Mage since I liked the caster style and Mage souls more.

Guess now it's time to level up!

Telaran

I was actually thinking of expose armor as the assassin debuff.

Clinging spirit is the inq debuff I was thinking of, which I thought stacked along with the archon/bard/oracle debuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    However, because those debuffs are located in souls that are already heavily used, it's incredibly rare that somebody else won't already be using that same spec and providing them.
    You would think that, but many many times I find that I'm either the first to debuff or the previous debuff wore off. I'm kinda surprised at how many folks don't use the debuffs. Hence the reason I emphasized this topic in my previous post. I could also be surrounded by incompetent players too.
    Niriena, Kearlet, Smilely, Rium

Quote Originally Posted by Croix01 View Post
    You would think that, but many many times I find that I'm either the first to debuff or the previous debuff wore off. I'm kinda surprised at how many folks don't use the debuffs. Hence the reason I emphasized this topic in my previous post. I could also be surrounded by incompetent players too.
    That only really happens in the open world, primarily because people will usually be using solo specs. In raids, which is what the OP is talking about, the raid leader should be assigning that stuff pre-pull.
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-11-2015 at 07:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread