+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hybrid viability?

Default Hybrid viability?

So one of the most appealing parts of this game to me has been (or was) the ability to make and tailor your own mostly viable spec. Now, I remember whisperings last year that the devs were going to work on pealing some of the OPness off the top of the trees and bringing it down, as to make hybrids more viable again.

Before I dump 50$ on getting the new souls to play with for fun builds off the beaten trail, (REALLY want to get Pal+Lib tanking a go), I should check. Is it possible now to have a decent, competitive time with non-61 specs? Or is Rift still squelching spec creativity, what used to be its greatest (and only major unique) asset.

Looked at the tanking options, and it's either pick from the top 3 61pt cookie cutter builds or get ***** violently.
    Last edited by Razgrim; 03-24-2015 at 07:49 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Razgrim View Post
    So one of the most appealing parts of this game to me has been (or was) the ability to make and tailor your own mostly viable spec. Now, I remember whisperings last year that the devs were going to work on pealing some of the OPness off the top of the trees and bringing it down, as to make hybrids more viable again.

Before I dump 50$ on getting the new souls to play with for fun builds off the beaten trail, (REALLY want to get Pal+Lib tanking a go), I should check. Is it possible now to have a decent, competitive time with non-61 specs? Or is Rift still squelching spec creativity, what used to be its greatest (and only major unique) asset.

Looked at the tanking options, and it's either pick from the top 3 61pt cookie cutter builds or get ***** violently.
    No, hybrids are generally still not viable. In fact, much of the changes seen with class development as of late have been specific to reducing the synergizing with builds below 61 points so that the developers can have an easier time balancing. With the cuts in staff to class developers they've found it easier to manage a set number of 61 point builds while balancing classes and making hybrids generally gimped so that they don't have to worry about low point investments to other souls being abused and causing drastic performance increases over 61 point builds.

There are a few hybrids that still exist that are competitive with 61 point builds but only a few.
    Last edited by Kenjitamura; 03-25-2015 at 01:53 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Only if you're a mage.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    Only if you're a mage.
    Or Rogue (Phystact and NB/sin say hi)

But yeah, Mage is the king of hybrids right now. Of course, they're basically all Stormcaller hybrids. Although I guess it isn't that much different than 1.x when everything was a Warlock hybrid (Pyrolock, Chlorolock, etc.)
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Rift Chaser

it IS possible to create your own hybrids.... however, most of them are inferior to full 61 point builds, and it is NOT recommended to use them in higher tiers of group play (experts, raids).

Rift Master

Sadly making a "good" Hybrid just isn't feasible in this game currently. You can probably run a Hyrbrid through the dungeons 1-50 with great ease, but that's only due to 1. the dungeons aren't really tailored to any kind of difficulty during those levels... and 2. Your almost guaranteed to have an overgeared mentored down toon making the dungeon run a cake walk to begin with.

Like sometime I like to run the old dungeons just to see them again. So for a challenge I heal with my Warden and still find it easy.

Its painful to see how much stronger a 61 point build is in relation to Hybrids in NOT just end abilities but how much better and stronger even the earlier root abilities get.

I Tested 4 different healer builds comparing #s and Pure builds win hands down. Plus surprisingly the 3 healer builds don't really mesh as well as you'd think. The Symbol of the Sun disappears faster than you can cast it. Healing Spray isn't worth a damn cause it heals too little too slow even on a pure Warden build. Its barely viable with 4XSoothing stream. Then Sentinel heals have a cast time.

So far the best healing ability in the game seems to be Ward of Fire to me. Now with Divine Favor Dungeon runs are laughably easy with a decent group. Derps will always be derps and no matter how much healing you have they will find a way to die.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Skeithe View Post
    Now with Divine Favor Dungeon runs are laughably easy with a decent group. Derps will always be derps and no matter how much healing you have they will find a way to die.
    Kind of a null point when Arbiter and Justicar can both run through most NTEs without a healer needed once geared enough. :/

spending 50$..well its your money,but i wouldnt spend it just for hyb-tank. depends what you want to tank ofc,but i'd always go for 61VK in pretty much anything.

a lot of warrior hybrid souls sound really good on paper but you ussually end up losing more than you gain.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    Kind of a null point when Arbiter and Justicar can both run through most NTEs without a healer needed once geared enough. :/
    really? what planet are you living on?
    Old content SL experts yes. But NTEs please get a reality check. Arb and Justicar can't solo an NTE without a healer.if you really think that then i suggest you go and actually play the game and come back when you have the experience necessary to make that comment. or even better put on tank gear walk in an NTE and pull the first set of trash. I give you 10-15 seconds with your cooldowns before you die. and you most certainly can't Solo bosses. Cloro Phys Puri all have to burst heal on bosses because you get hit for 60K.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Erianah View Post
    really? what planet are you living on?
    Old content SL experts yes. But NTEs please get a reality check. Arb and Justicar can't solo an NTE without a healer.if you really think that then i suggest you go and actually play the game and come back when you have the experience necessary to make that comment. or even better put on tank gear walk in an NTE and pull the first set of trash. I give you 10-15 seconds with your cooldowns before you die. and you most certainly can't Solo bosses. Cloro Phys Puri all have to burst heal on bosses because you get hit for 60K.
    I can tell you're not raid geared, don't know how to properly mitigate damage by changing sub souls, don't know how to use masteries, and don't know the fights well enough to do this. Nor do you know good enough DPSers where this is actually a viable option.

NTE tanking without heals is a thing for raid geared DPS and Justicars/Arbiters because you really don't need to mitigate damage long when bosses are blown up in 3 minutes flat. That's the benefits of being a raider in a good guild with good players.

Personally, I love my Oraden build

37 Oracle / 39 Warden

Using the aoe healing crystal,

Gives 90% of the bard buffs/debuffs

With pretty decent aoe heal burst I know it works really great in NR ;o

Did'nt try that build anywhere else ;o

Sincerely, Exxy

Quote Originally Posted by Razgrim View Post
    is Rift still squelching spec creativity, what used to be its greatest (and only major unique) asset.
    Pretty much this, the phrase "deviant hybrids" pops up from time to time or the equally obvious "deviant abilities" comes into the devs radar. Masteries were suppose to help encourage hybrid builds but they fail miserably at doing this. So you're more or less forced into 61 point builds. That is of course unless you are playing outside of group content and don't mind playing at a very slow pace with only one or two mob pulls at a time.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Necalli View Post
    That is of course unless you are playing outside of group content and don't mind playing at a very slow pace with only one or two mob pulls at a time.
    I'm fairly sure that a hybrid dps/tank or dps/heal spec would be more suited for pulling more mobs at once than pure dps, even if it meant killing at a slower pace. For example, as 61Chloro, I can pull 3-4 lvl65 major rift mobs and facetank them through selfhealing while slowly taking down their hp through attrition, where as 61 Harbinger I would die if I accidentally pulled a second one (especially in those Life rifts with the damn spiders that have 900K+ hp and hit for 20k+ per sec each).
    Last edited by Dark Mits; 04-23-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    I'm fairly sure that a hybrid dps/tank or dps/heal spec would be more suited for pulling more mobs at once than pure dps, even if it meant killing at a slower pace. For example, as 61Chloro, I can pull 3-4 lvl65 major rift mobs and facetank them through selfhealing while slowly taking down their hp through attrition, where as 61 Harbinger I would die if I accidentally pulled a second one (especially in those Life rifts with the damn spiders that have 900K+ hp and hit for 20k+ per sec each).
    Here's my question, can you go 38 harbinger/ 38 choloro and still do that? Or whatever hybrid combination you can come up with. Because 61 Chloro is going to be able to heal himself far better than a 38 Chloro.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Necalli View Post
    Here's my question, can you go 38 harbinger/ 38 choloro and still do that? Or whatever hybrid combination you can come up with. Because 61 Chloro is going to be able to heal himself far better than a 38 Chloro.
    61 Chloro will be healing better, but 38/38 will have better dps which means that enemies will die quicker and therefore total required healing will be less. It's a matter of doing some research: How much damage am I expected to take -> how much healing will I need to be sure I won't die -> how many soul points will I be able to put into dps. This depends on what you're trying to do and what gear you have. With my current worse-than-NTE gear, I am pretty much "forced" to have 61 Chloro else pulling a 2nd or a 3rd mob will see me dead. I guess a player in T1 can afford to go less in Chloro for the same survivability and deal more dps.

For level 60 Major Rifts, 61Harb is actually better. For level 62 Major Rifts, I need 61 Chloro for the damn-you-RNG stages and a mix of Chloro/Harb for the other to meet the time constraint.

We are of course talking about content that noone in their right mind would do solo. Outside of extra Dust of Voids and almost guaranteed essence to runebreak, there is no reason to do them solo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast