Closed Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By evantide

Thread: New player, what class is the best DPS?

Soulwalker

Default New player, what class is the best DPS?

Hello Rift community, I'm a new player just starting out, and I wanted to ask what class is the best for DPS atm, so I don't have regrets later. By DPS I don't mean a glass cannon that does massive damage but can't survive, I basically want to be able to solo as much content as possible and not be in a support role, but a damage dealer.

Thanks in advance

RIFT Guide Writer

All.

/tenchar
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    All.

/tenchar
    You brag so much about being oh so helpful and how is this of any help to a new player? You could at least have said its not about class but spec and direct him where to find them. If you already bothered to post.
    Unless all you actually try to be is a smartass

Shadowlander

it really depends on how you play and skill rather than cookie cutter builds.Depends on what you want to do..but ther healing warior souls,tanking mages souls,dps rouges/ casting cleric/cleric tanks..no class is better just different way to play a certain style...it really up to you..

Plane Walker

DPS and tanking is fairly balanced between classes. The disparity is on the healing side with Purifier shields being OP, Chloro and Liberator being underwhelming in PvP, and Liberator not being able to tank heal in raids.

But as for advice on which class you'll want to remember that Rogue has only perma-stealth in game and Cleric has the best selection of souls, including best healing soul in game, if you haven't bought the soul packs.

Those are pretty enticing incentives to choose Cleric or Rogue over Mage or Warrior.

As said before...

However, dps is fairly one-sided based on gear and not so much on skills. Yes, you need to know your class and skills.. however, with standard-rotations as mentioned on the guide-pages of the class you'll already get a long way to being high if you get the best gear. It's much more gear based.

So basicly play the class you think is fun (need to mention that warrior has some issues in melee atm due to low survivability and can therefore a bit tough to play well) and get the best gear... Then you'll be on top.

Quote Originally Posted by YokoMatsumoto View Post
    Hello Rift community, I'm a new player just starting out, and I wanted to ask what class is the best for DPS atm, so I don't have regrets later. By DPS I don't mean a glass cannon that does massive damage but can't survive, I basically want to be able to solo as much content as possible and not be in a support role, but a damage dealer.

Thanks in advance
    I personally started using Reaver and actually think it is much faster and better than clerics for soloing content. High competitive ST dps and great AOE plus self heals help a lot. Also, you get an aggro break like rogues do and it makes farming or running to specific area bosses extremely fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ides View Post
    dps is fairly one-sided based on gear.
    This is simply not true. Encounter awareness and mastery of your spec/rotation/priority list matter far more than gear. It's the difference between 110k on Johan, and 60k on Johan.

Every calling currently has at least one competitive DPS spec.

Warriors have Reaver, which is competitive ranged ST and good cleave DPS. Reaver also has the benefit of being forgiving and can be fairly tanky (especially if you're using a 11 warlord build). However, Reaver is more difficult to play before level 63, and the current standard rotation requires two masteries.

Warriors also have Champion, which is competitive melee AOE DPS and great at soloing (due to a large self healing finishing ability), and Paragon, competitive melee ST DPS.

Clerics have inquisitor, which is competitive ST ranged DPS. However, cleric tanks (for their battle rez), purifiers and defilers are much more in demand (in my guild and in my experience at least). Clerics that want to melee can also use shaman.

Rogues have a wide range of options. Marksman is currently very good in the ST DPS department right now, but is more complex and unforgiving that most specs. Ranger is lower, but is more versatile and is great for open world content (it can summon a tank or DPS pet). There's also Bladedancer and Saboteur, which are great at AOE DPS, and Nightblade.

Mages all use some variant of a stormcaller hybrid at the moment. Although they have very high ST and cleave DPS, those hybrids (especially Storm/Necro) are complex, tight, and can be RNG dependent. However, mages are very versatile. Chloromancers are only rivaled by liberators in raid healing (in the numbers department at least), but can deal a noticeable amount of damage and improves the DPS of the group. Mage tanks and support are also in fair demand.

Overall, every class has at least one spec with decent DPS. Furthermore, they're all highly subject to change. Reaver wasn't competitive until a short while ago, and mages will probably under some balance changes in the next few months. I'd recommend choosing a class that your friends aren't playing, or simply choosing what's most appealing to you. Even if you don't like it, leveling subsequent characters up to 65 is relatively easy (if you know what you're doing). I don't think you'd regret any class you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    This is simply not true. Encounter awareness and mastery of your spec/rotation/priority list matter far more than gear. It's the difference between 110k on Johan, and 60k on Johan.
    Awareness isn't an argument here since the question is about high dps, not about "how can I survive".

Mastery of specs is irrelevant untill your hit raid-level. Then it starts to matter and you can make a difference. Till then it's irrelevant. As an example: in lotro I outtanked most tanks at lvl75, I had lvl65 gear and they had 75 gear. Reason: skills mattered. In rift you cannot even begin to start thinking of this, because if you don't have 65 gear you can't even join or start, no matter your skill. So getting gear is more important then getting skill (as long as you survive ofc, but like I said, that wasn't the question).

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by CKat View Post
    You brag so much about being oh so helpful and how is this of any help to a new player? You could at least have said its not about class but spec and direct him where to find them. If you already bothered to post.
    Unless all you actually try to be is a smartass
    Because he's asking for a solo spec and every single spec in this game can solo content at a reasonable pace? There is no 'based on spec" or anywhere to "Direct him" because this game lets you do anything in open world and get it done.

If he was asking about raids, dungeons, chronicles, heck any focused content at all I'd give him help. Just straight questing? Grab anything and everything that seems interesting.

Hell, he doesn't even specify what type of character he wants to play. just "best DPS" which means he's screwed anyways as best DPS changes every patch. If he wanted to play "best DPS" he'd make every single cahracter and change with the patches.
    Last edited by evantide; 04-02-2015 at 01:04 AM.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Quote Originally Posted by Ides View Post
    Awareness isn't an argument here since the question is about high dps, not about "how can I survive".
    Awareness is very important. If you blow a cooldown when the Yrlwalach is transitioning to the maw phase, you're going to lose a lot of DPS. Syncing your abilities with the electrified debuff on Johan, and condemn on Threngar makes a enormous difference.

Learning to play your spec is very important too, even at low levels. Spam builders/finishers/fireballs and see what happens.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 04-02-2015 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    Awareness is very important. If you blow a cooldown when the Yrlwalach is transitioning to the maw phase, you're going to lose a lot of DPS. Syncing your abilities with the electrified debuff on Johan, and condemn on Threngar makes a enormous difference.

Learning to play your spec is very important too, even at low levels. Spam builders/finishers/fireballs and see what happens.
    Don't make it more difficult then how it easy it already is. Awereness is basicly a non-issue till you get into nte's and even then you can easily cope with very basics: if it's a red ring move, if it's blue get in it. Awareness doesn't really come into play till you hit raid-level. Till then you can easily wing it (done it myself easily as a tank). As far as buttons go, I tried rvr with the 2 button spec and you hit top dps, so it ain't that hard. As far as other specs go: just learn the rotations and you're perfectly fine up to raiding. NTE's aren't hard, just follow the tank, hit every mob he hits. I agree learning your spec is important, however, don't make it sound harder then it is since this game isn't that hard at all. And secondly, regarding the question awareness isn't the issue.

Champion of Telara

Let's stop arguing and agree that every class can be "best dps" and at the same time no class can "best dps". It depends on so many factors that it is simply impossible to answer even by averages.

To the OP: Decide on what playstyle you want, then try to find a spec that goes with that. Playstyle can mean anything from melee vs ranged, burst vs sustained dps, direct damage vs dots, pet management vs. no pet, cooldown based vs. no-cd based, physical vs. magical... If you pick what someone says is best right now, by the time you reach the level cap and get to the point of raiding, the balance will have changed.

Closed Thread