+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rare Souls

Default Rare Souls

I am wondering if any thought has been put into making some souls that come from the rare item drop system that was described in podcast 16.

These souls could be minor souls that have limited skill trees.

Probably an example would work.

A super rare drop off Lethal giant scorpions that is the Poison master soul. (uber poison guy died to the scorpions and his soul was trapped or what ever story line associated)

This soul when slotted in the second or third slot would add 3 skills in its tree. The skills would be tiered level of poison adds to weapons or an aoe poison, basically these would be very specific and very effect specific skills that someone might wish to add to there skill tree.

An assassin might be built around poison and dots, these skills would be amped up versions from this super rare drop.

From a development point of view, now I don't completely know the mechanics behind souls, but I am making an assumption that the majority of the work by the devs is in creating a viable and balanced full 51 point tree. These souls would be easier to design and could be added as patches or even one time event or seasonal drops.

There uniqueness and rarity would add that extra flavour and give people another end game thing to collect. Kinda like pokemon... have to catch them all. LOL

For balance you even make them class specific in certain cases. The poison masters soul would reject sharing a body with a healer class for instance.

Even how their can be multiples.. The souls have been rent into multiple soul shards, its why their power is reduced to a few skills. This enables lore continuity as one legendary named hero's soul could be split into hundreds of shards so its not limited to a single unique, one guy finds, no one else ever gets lore situation.

The list of souls could almost be endless.
    -skill specific types
    -Legendary named souls based on the lore.
    -Event souls that fade or wear out at the end of an event (bad example but the soul of santa for xmas season)

If anyone wants to buy into this concept, would love to hear other types or specific souls people would love to see that would meet this type of Super Rare drop template?

I like this idea a lot. I imagine that end game mixed soul builds will be heavily weighted towards a main soul with a few points in secondary souls for certain abilities with little correlation between the souls otherwise. So, why not instead have the option of slotting second or third souls with abbreviated (maybe to the 10-15 point level only) trees that enhance some calling mechanic like poisoning, pets, HoTs, AoE, etc.? These kind of souls could even be cross-calling as they're mechanic based and not calling based. This could extend to gathering and crafting as well. Overall, something I would love to see in the game.

I think you might find better responses by calling these "Limited" souls instead of "Rare" souls. You aren't really describing something that is (necessarily) uncommon, but something "less complete".

It's an interesting idea. I can think of numerous ideas for "less complete" or "Limited" souls that might provide interesting sidebars to existing "Full" souls.

Yes, I was struggling with a good name for them.

I was going to use WoW sort of analogy where some could be Orange and a few lesser ones purples.

I wanted to lean away from unique, but more to the ultra rare, uber rare sort of items.

And indeed, great idea, perhaps there could be a crafting portion to some, a uber rare/super hard/high level type crafted item that was like a soul binding stone. That could be crafting oriented souls,where you might find an item with a soul trapped in it from the crafter... ie, morimoto put his heart and soul into crafting a set of swords, you use the crafting "stone" to draw out this portion of the soul for use.

Not knowing the crafting methods, but a limited skill tree that adds some enhancement to the crafting method or items would definetly another repurposing item for this concept.

I really like the idea! Possibly something like the Jedi class from the golden days of Star Wars Galaxies perhaps?

Gavriel Venitiago
    Honor the Sword of Freedom

Intriguing indeed!

I'm thinking resistance souls. Let's say there are gimmicky resistance fights where a certain type of damage is done to the raid. Instead of farming multitudes of different gear sets per resistance, you simply farm (or quest or whatever) for these resistance souls.

They could have a few branch abilities such as 10/20/30/40/50% resistance to say Death damage, along with abilities used to shield yourself from gimmicky raid boss skills, that would otherwise wipe the raid.

Anyway, the soul concept is amazing and should leave creative uses like those you described open to imagination.

Interesting concept! I can see this being pretty good if implimented and balanced well.

Another vote on the "good idea!" platform.

I think the idea of having the individual souls grant very specific (perhaps even very situational) abilities could be cool. I say situational because I've been to the "rare drop" rodeo before and I know how quickly powerful skills, no matter the rarity, quickly become must-have skills. Making those upgrades more situational might combat that a bit.

I wonder if we might even look at souls that don't necessarily offer direct skill improvements or extra combat skills, but instead just provided alternative animations or free "fun" abilities (illusions, non-combat pets, etc).

This idea could be interesting, that is for sure. Repeating what others have said, it would have to be a severely limited soul, or fractured soul. I also believe that you should not be able to trade, barter or sell these fractured souls in any way, shape or form. If you get one, you get one, and if it's not to your liking--oh well. You can't always choose the kind of souls that might be attracted to you, or sent to you.

Shadowlander

Default hmmm... i like it

I think I like your idea as it would open up the possibility of super specializing (think super warrior or storm mage). It would also allow for an even greater depth in character customization. Therefore I'm all for your idea. I also think it would add some desire to players for trying to find all or some of the additional combos of souls. That's my 2 cents

Telaran

I like the idea as well. I am not sure on how to go about limiting these "fractured souls"... random rare world-drop, special quest lines, rare drops off boss mobs, etc... but having something of the sort would make for some intriguing decisions by players: "Do I go into xxx tree for these skills, or do I boost up my primary skills?"

I also like the idea of souls that are not necessarily tied to "combat skills"... like the soul of a former epic smith that allows you to create better weapons or armor, or the soul of a former renowned jewelcrafter that allows you to make unique cuts for jewelry (extra bonus stats or what have you).

Great idea. Anything cool like that to give ppl something to work for, something to look forward to. Goals like that are what keep me playing.

Soulwalker

Default Cake? =D

I think that is a really good idea, if balanced right and doesn`t become a `Must get` as people before me staited.
    It would be areally usefull addition to the game.

I am glad others enjoy the concept!

Anyone have any ideas on some examples? Lets see if we can build some great concepts. I am hoping a Dev might read this someday and it would be great to have some front loaded input on the types of things that would fit this idea.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tictic-boom View Post
    Anyone have any ideas on some examples? Lets see if we can build some great concepts. I am hoping a Dev might read this someday and it would be great to have some front loaded input on the types of things that would fit this idea.
    The souls I'm most interested in are alternate advancement type souls for crafters and explorers. Have a secondary set of souls that earn ability points through crafting, gathering, exploring the world, getting achievements, etc. The abilities in these souls would give bonuses to that particular path - for example:
    • +% chance to craft an extraordinary item
    • +% chance to gather an extraordinary resource from a node
    • +run/mount speed
    • shorter cooldown for hearth stone
    • additional bind points
    • additional mounts
    • +skill to craft a certain class of items (wands, staves, shields, healing pots, mana enchants, etc.)
    • +x% reputation/faction gain
    • shorter duration or lower death penalty
    • greater bonus for buffs, potions, or food effects
    • greater duration for buffs, potions, or food effects
    • +% to coin loot
    • +% price when selling to a merchant
    • -% price when buying from a merchant
    • -% auction house listing fee
    • more auction slots
    • more bank slots

Basically give people who like to do things in the game other than fighting a chance to earn bonuses that make sense for their play style. Also give people who wouldn't normally craft or explore an incentive to do so.

EDIT: These kind of souls would probably require another interface separate from the main souls - something like a novelty or enhancement soul set in addition to the standard three soul set.
    Last edited by Ware; 10-21-2010 at 07:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast