+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mobility a key to PVP

Default Mobility a key to PVP

Over the years I have discovered that one of the best definers of who is the best in pvp tends to be the classes with the best ability to modify peoples ability to move. Be it a stun or slow an opponant for kiting. Or escapability, like sprints or vanishing skills.

Will there be a good balance of roots/stun vs breakers of these? Will there be classes with invisibility or vanish skills. I know in some games temporary flying was a part of the game which made a huge difference in the whole scheme of mobility.

Beyond pure damage/mitigation I believe this to be a key part of balancing the classes with respect to pvp.

Just my 2 cents.

Depends on the game. While your point is true in many games, it is most definitely not the only way to build a good pvp mechanics. And I see mobility as more of an aspect of solo pvp and ganking for obvious reasons.

For mass pvp and group fight I'd rather have hard cc be the thing. One of the best implementations of group vs group (or raid v raid) pvp is eq2, and the strongest form of crowd control there is target manipulation. Tanks and other aggro-managing classes have the abilities to force target via taunting the enemies, while dps classes have de-target components attached to their deaggo skills. Its more of a general rule to eq2 combat, pve aggro and deaggro skills have the appropriate force target/clear target effects in pvp combat. So the tank plays a very important role in mass pvp, literally preventing enemies from attacking his group. Avoiding being taunted or recovering from it is a crucial skill for dps guys in mass pvp in eq2, as it's the only real way to focus someone down.

I hope it will not turn out like Warhammer at the start nothing but chained CC to death none stop.

Or stealth class's been OP to the point its a joke IE sneak attacks middle of a party kills healer in 0.5 of a second then is able to use a special attack that more or less teleports them a good way form the party then just recloak and do it again and again to cloth class then walk off and leave the heavy armor guys alone.
    Death is great people are dying to get there.

Death is great it's the cure to Life.

Telaran

I would like to see something new to PvP mechanics. I never did play EQ2, but I have heard its PvP mechanics were better than normal. Most games favor your ranged attacker... bows, guns, and spells. While it makes some sense, there has to be some sort of parity. You are a big lumbering tank so you cannot move so fast... hahaha I shoot you with an arrow to root you and shoot you with 3 more to kill you! Huh? Why not, okay you are a quick and dodgy arrow flinger and you have rooted me... oh no, my magic plate armor means that each of your puny arrows does 2 damage to me? There never seems to be enough love for the warrior classes in PvP (especially when you go overboard with the Ret Paladin and have to nerf the hell out of them for OPing them too much).

While I usually play a limited amount on PvP servers, I certainly get in the mood and go PvP crazy at times in arenas or battlegrounds or with duels. Good mechanics makes for a more robust and enjoyable PvP setting.

Actually you should really try eq2. There is plenty of 'love' for tank classes there (sometimes WELL over the top), and in a generic situation a tank can bow a scout who is trying to kite him down with just bow auto-attacks. While that may take a while, scout has no real advantage over the tank in ranged combat due to plate armor + shield (and the mage-type crusaders also have spells with long range and considerable damage). While the scout might have chances im melee combat vs the tank, all the tanking classes have plenty of defensive skills that, if used smartly, dont let you go down in a couple of hits (in a couple dozens too). And as I have already mentioned tanks are THE class for mass pvp, because taunt is the only form of hard cc that doesnt have an immunity. Not that taunt is a hard cc to begin with, but it's very powerful indeed.

I love semi to long pvp fights with alot of mobility and use of different mechanics and terrain, to pvp it will happen even if balance is kind of rough at launch.
    If ignorance is bliss, you must be ******ic.

Mass PvP LoL, i was playing Warhammer this weekend and i find it still the same. As bright wizard you are a living bomb You run on people and Annihilate them to death *rr80 is a bit OP*. In mass PvP the combat is either slow and alot of CC or fast and nuclear since the other side is more powerful.

In smaller scale PvP i find that cc is the key, then you need more than to faceroll on kb. For cloth or leather classes it's a bit hectic in smaller scale since you need to control every CC right and you dont want to give them immunity for nothing, hence them getting on your skin and skinning you alive. The more armor you have usually decides how mobile you really are and what kind of tactic you utilize in PvP. Tanks mostly just stand there and take the beating and CC the frag out of the other team.

Why do ducks have webbed feet?...To stamp out fires

Why do elephants have flat feet?...To stamp out burning ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgle View Post
    Mass PvP LoL, i was playing Warhammer this weekend and i find it still the same. As bright wizard you are a living bomb You run on people and Annihilate them to death *rr80 is a bit OP*. In mass PvP the combat is either slow and alot of CC or fast and nuclear since the other side is more powerful.

In smaller scale PvP i find that cc is the key, then you need more than to faceroll on kb. For cloth or leather classes it's a bit hectic in smaller scale since you need to control every CC right and you dont want to give them immunity for nothing, hence them getting on your skin and skinning you alive. The more armor you have usually decides how mobile you really are and what kind of tactic you utilize in PvP. Tanks mostly just stand there and take the beating and CC the frag out of the other team.

Yeap MOBA's(Dota,HoN,LoL) do a good job at showing how small scale pvp thats organized happens pretty much you need a tank/support/ccer/nuker/carry and focus fire and good cc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Callipygous View Post
    Yeap MOBA's(Dota,HoN,LoL) do a good job at showing how small scale pvp thats organized happens pretty much you need a tank/support/ccer/nuker/carry and focus fire and good cc etc.
    You know, I would love someone to have moved the "Holy Trinity" of tank/support/dps to something like what HoN/DotA has. Of course, how do you make a carry in a game where nobody restarts therefore everyone is a carry?

Well, I think allowing a few people within a population become a carry by making their class above the normal power that anyone else can obtain. This *carry* status will be removed either by death or some other way. Or in the way of an instanced battleground, you could easily have some other objective within the instanced zone that allows someone to become the carry by doing those objectives. Once completed, they will obtain the carry status which greatly helps in completing the main objective of the battleground (capturing flags, straight up team deathmatch, ect.).

Quote Originally Posted by Zyllos View Post
    You know, I would love someone to have moved the "Holy Trinity" of tank/support/dps to something like what HoN/DotA has. Of course, how do you make a carry in a game where nobody restarts therefore everyone is a carry?

Well, I think allowing a few people within a population become a carry by making their class above the normal power that anyone else can obtain. This *carry* status will be removed either by death or some other way. Or in the way of an instanced battleground, you could easily have some other objective within the instanced zone that allows someone to become the carry by doing those objectives. Once completed, they will obtain the carry status which greatly helps in completing the main objective of the battleground (capturing flags, straight up team deathmatch, ect.).

You are on to something i like i like, and yes i loved how things are in Dota,HoN,LoL a game mode aka BG system.Would be cool in that regard, but there would need to be alot of tweaks to get the MOBA feel.Not sure about the carry part but then again wouldn't damage dealers/dpsers feel like carrys especially if played by a good player in pvp?

+ Reply to Thread