+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about faction specific classes.

Shadowlander

Default Question about faction specific classes.

I was reading a faq earlier, and it stated that warlock is a defiant starter soul. Does this mean that guardians can NEVER get it, or you get it later, IE you don't start with it.

Thanks, I really want to be a guardian warlock > <

It refers to your starting classes. There are no souls that are faction restricted throughout the game, at least not that we know of. We don't know how early you can get the warlock soul as a Guardian, but you can definitely get it.

Telaran

I will agree with Selene. From all I have gathered each faction will have a specific calling that it can start as for each archetype (although there may be some that overlap). However, as a player progresses and unlocks souls they will, eventually, be able to unlock any soul (provided they have done whatever was necessary to find a particular soul). So, while Guardians may not be able to start off as a warlock from day one, they will be able to become warlocks further down the road.

Well said UncleMonster; however...

From what I can gather, your starting calling is the only one you can level up 100%. So if you pick up a Warlock soul later on I am not sure it can be maxed out like your original starting calling can.

Which brings up a question... if you do acquire a 2nd soul and reroll your tree points, will it be possible to add them all to the 2nd soul, keeping in mind that if you do that, you have a useless first soul taking up space. Just a random thought...

Your first soul won't be entirely useless if you decide to keep it equipped. Every soul has one or two free abilities that you get just for equipping it. These abilities might not be all that powerful compared to ones higher in the tree/roots, but you can go to trainer and rank them up to your level (as far as I know). So, at least you'll get something!

Quote Originally Posted by Morwynn View Post
    Well said UncleMonster; however...

From what I can gather, your starting calling is the only one you can level up 100%. So if you pick up a Warlock soul later on I am not sure it can be maxed out like your original starting calling can.

Which brings up a question... if you do acquire a 2nd soul and reroll your tree points, will it be possible to add them all to the 2nd soul, keeping in mind that if you do that, you have a useless first soul taking up space. Just a random thought...
    From most of what I've seen you can totally ditch your original soul. You can spend the points between your souls anyway you want. 51 points into any one soul or spread them across 2 or 3. Up to you.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

Quote Originally Posted by sicc View Post
    I was reading a faq earlier, and it stated that warlock is a defiant starter soul. Does this mean that guardians can NEVER get it, or you get it later, IE you don't start with it.

Thanks, I really want to be a guardian warlock > <
    first its a soul.. not a class.. there are 4 classes... loads of souls..

second basically it will be a soul you cna aquire on the oposing faction but you can not start with that soul.. aka yu start as a mage on both sides but you will have different souls to chose to start with.
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

You do not go and search for a specific soul to aquire. Once you get an opportunity to aquire an aditional soul, you will be presented a choice among ALL the souls in your calling you do not already have. As far as it stands now (based on podcast info) you can get a second soul around level 5 which equals a couple hours of gameplay. So you can become a guardan warlock 2-3 hours after you roll your toon, but you will obviously have to replace your current soul with warlock until later more soul slots will be open to you so you can have them together.

Telaran

Thanks for the info garnered from podcasts, Tavesh. So, as soon as you are able to aquire a new soul you basically pick the soul you want... offer prayers to gods for a particular ascendency or use the machines to gather one. Makes sense.

So, what has been said of heroic souls then? Are they "found" like drops? Or come from quest lines? Boss mobs? Or, just unlock at higher levels?

Heroic souls are no different from the others, heroic is just a common name for all those souls not available right at character creation. They also intend to add additional warnings for newer players stating that heroic souls are generally harder to play and/or not solo-friendly, so you are choosing them at your own risk and unless you know what to do picking them is not advised. As it's been already said, heroic souls are also availible to be picked at any soul-collecting (or how would you call having an opportunity to get an additional soul? =\), since there are 5 heroic souls and 3 'basic' in each calling anyways.

As for the said opportunities for getting the souls, they have spilled some light on it. First, they said that the ways of getting them are very different, meaning you can get some opportunities by questing, some by grinding mobs, some by killing epic nameds, some by crafting, some by exploring etc. They also stated that the number of the said 'opportunities' is much greater then the number of souls in the calling, so you are not forced to craft, for example, if you are not a fan of crafting, in order to collect all 8.

I like how Trion handled the souls in terms of factions. A faction's (nation's) warriors are tied in to its culture. What I mean is you will not find a ninja in Mexico and a spartan in Mongolia. Thus if you wish to start out as a particular soul, you must be either Guardian or Defiant. However, you could gain access to a soul whose origin is not of your faction later on. Think of it as a master soul who abandoned his or her country and went out in to the wilderness and will teach those who seek the knowledge and skills of that soul regardless of their loyalties.
    Last edited by mairsile; 10-24-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Is there an official explanation somewhere of exactly how the class/race/faction matrix will be laid out and in what ways we will be able to progress through them?

I hope it is sufficiently complex.

+ Reply to Thread