+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP souls

Default PvP souls

So, today's podcast mentioned PvP-exclusive souls. Any speculation on what they could be? Also, I'm wondering how build-swapping will work in PvP: will someone attacking you classify you as in-combat and prevent switching? How will that work on PvP servers? PvE servers?

From what I have observed thus far, it seems like Player's will have a lot of health, but deal smaller amounts of damage and NPC's will do more damage and have less health. Of course this is only from what I've seen in the videos, which are never reliable. So, if this is indeed the case, the most likely speculation is that PvP souls will probably only affect other players, but deal more damage than the other souls. In this case, you would never win against a PvP soul if you were not using a PvP soul yourself.

The problem with this speculation is that if there is open world PvP, and you got attacked by someone PvP spec'd while you were PvE spec'd, you are SOL.

I do have faith in the PvP system though. They would not have bothered with adding PvP souls if it didn't make for better balancing.

I assume build swapping in PvP will work in the same way as normal souls. Getting attacked will most likely prevent you from switching. In WAR, you had something called tactics that you could switch out but only out of combat. Combat was determined by whether you were attacking or being attacked (successfuly), and PvE and PvP combat were determined in the same way. Once you were out of combat you had 10 seconds to wait before you could switch.

Stealth mechanics work in a similar way in a lot of games.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

i would say the souls will be the same but coated for PvP, because if not that means THERE will be way more souls than we know now... and the ones we know now are only for PvE. Witch is a lie so. Maybe there will be extra soul tree witch would lets say add defense + some root or snare remove ability and so on ( something that balances the pvp abit) But then again it will be mandatory and i dont like it
    ~We can break your machines Defiant, strip you of your power ! But you will never break our Will ,our belief in The Vigil~

sorry, im kind of off topic.. but dune i liked your signature..

We will break your faith in the vigil..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I imagine the PVP souls would take the place of one of your normal ones, and have utility-type effects... for instance "Breaks all roots/snares and makes you immune to them for 5 seconds", or "Increases run speed by 20% for 10 seconds" as options, along with other various flat effects that would work nicely for both PVE and PVP. Just because they're advanced by PVP'ing doesn't mean it has to be useless in PVE .

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    I imagine the PVP souls would take the place of one of your normal ones, and have utility-type effects... for instance "Breaks all roots/snares and makes you immune to them for 5 seconds", or "Increases run speed by 20% for 10 seconds" as options, along with other various flat effects that would work nicely for both PVE and PVP. Just because they're advanced by PVP'ing doesn't mean it has to be useless in PVE .
    this is wht i'm thinking.. more along the line of pure pvp talents than somethingthat would be prefered in pve.. aka a resiliance style talent in the pvp souls.
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

Plane Touched

I'm guessing they'll mostly provide passive PvP related bonuses (like, say, a passive that increases damage against players by a set amount) along with an "Oh-****" ability or two. This way they could even make a number of different PvP souls for different purposes, so they could have one that adds damage perks, one that adds defense perks, one that adds CC perks ... and so on, and thus follow the same design principles as the normal souls.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 10-18-2010 at 10:32 PM.

I'm sure we are to see a focused pvp test before release, where we are likely to have a chance to test and feedback all the pvp-specific elements like souls, and make sure no crap gets its way into release.

so what if u cant switch builds outside of combat? don't fall asleep at your keyboard and pay attention to whats around you. 90% of open world pvp deaths can be avoided by just keeping a watchful eye on your surroundings. (being attacked by stealth classes are the only counter to this and you can most of the time still see them as, or before they stealth) so just be prepared to switch ur skill-set watch out for your surroundings... be aware

I imagine you cant switch souls in pvp combat, it just seems logical. As for the souls I'm not an avid pvp er, but I will be doing it some, so they are of interest to me, hopefully they will be in game, this was one of the more interesting podcasts I've listened to, Scott did a great job conveying info, all but the beta date =)

+ Reply to Thread