+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Masteries: Is There a Point?

Default Masteries: Is There a Point?

I've been trying to gain some insight into the significance or usefulness of our new Nightmare Tide Soul Point expenditures: "Masteries". So far, they seem largely useless, as they do not seem to fit with any of the builds I have created. It seems so slipshod, haphazard and ultimately useless.

If our leveling rewards were going to be such an after-thought, Trion would have been better off offering us something sensible and intuitive, such as a choice between the primary/ useful traits we currently have. I.e.:
    for Mages/Clerics choice between:
    • +5% to Spellpower
    • +5% Crit Power
    • +5% Endurance; or
    • +5% Wisdom/Intelligence

for Rogues/Warriors choice between:
    • +5% to Attack Power
    • +5% Crit Power
    • +5% Endurance; or
    • +5% Strength/Dexterity

In lieu of usefulness, sensibility and intuitiveness, does anyone know where to look to gain some insight into Masteries? So I can pour hour upon hour into researching the topic, and ultimately have little-to-no impact into my gameplay...
    Last edited by Phelim on the Moor; 11-18-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

Check for guides updated for 3.0? Work the changes into your specs?

More damage/healing/guard/incominghealing is useless? Another damage or heal ability is useless? And for example you can't tell me with a straight face that Divine Providence is useless for a dungeon-healing Purifier.
    Sure, some of them are more desirable than others. But "largely" useless? Admitting your ignorance is laudable, but claiming something you don't understand is useless is not.

Other useful Cleric masteries from the top of my head since that's my main and your sig mentions it:
    Inquisitor: The one that enables all Armors (but disables the AoE-DoT-on-hit), and the one that casts Vex automatically when you cast SH, and the level 65 channel all are extremely useful
    Warden: The one that increases incoming healing on everyone, and I'm no expert, but I also use the one where instants reduce cast time on the next ability, meaning I can save up an instant or reduced-time Healing Cataract
    Purifier: Soul Stream as another heal, or Divine Providence to greatly help dungeon healing
    Druid: The one that adds another damage buff for the spell after using Resounding Blow and the Fervent Strike range increase
    Defiler: The one that increases chance for damaging skills to apply a stack of Foul Growth

And those are just the specific skill-affecting ones I can think of. There are flat increases to damage, healing, and tanking, and even some useful for PvP.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 11-18-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Rift Chaser

Did you even read the tool tips on the masteries? I.e. more healing received, done, those can be used for solo, healers, and tanks... heck even dps on fights that have heavy raid damage...

The mage has several useful masteries. Dark Touch also applies Life Leach and Neddra's Grasp. That's obviously for Warlock QoL. Lucent Slash spreads Blazing Light to 5 enemies. Harbinger QoL. Then you get a tier that increases damage on either instant and channeled, or cast time abilities. Those can be used on any spec you make.

I think these are a great idea, you can change/improve 1 build in several ways, without having to change sub souls.
    You can find me on Deepwood. Playing Rift too.

Albedina - 65 mage
    Erodthemighty - 65 warrior
    Makion -65 rogue

Rift Chaser

another thing to note is that Mastery bonuses are applied after all of the others so multiplacative on top of the rest. so for example make a build but without masteries. the bonuses to damage and healing, or to the specific abilities, granted by the masteries are applied on their current values (on the tool tips) not their base values, which Gifts boost.

Telaran

If you think of Masteries as a substitute for talent points, they're pretty good. Many builds spend each of the last few points getting +1% damage, if lucky, or some oddball "non-fire spells cast 1% faster," or "you receive +healing" in a DPS spec.

In other words, when some builds level from 58 to 59, the extra point is a choice between "almost nothing" and "will almost never use."

In other, other words compare the last 5 talent points you spend in a 61/15 spec, with all 5 masteries.

As to why Masteries exist at all: they didn't want to risk breaking the design by adding 5 more talent points. A few "reward" talents are jammed up at 38-42 in some trees so you can't double up on them. They didn't want to think about all the new 42/39 builds, and have to remake the trees to fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phelim on the Moor View Post
    I've been trying to gain some insight into the significance or usefulness of our new Nightmare Tide Soul Point expenditures: "Masteries". So far, they seem largely useless, as they do not seem to fit with any of the builds I have created. It seems so slipshod, haphazard and ultimately useless.

If our leveling rewards were going to be such an after-thought, Trion would have been better off offering us something sensible and intuitive, such as a choice between the primary/ useful traits we currently have. I.e.:
    for Mages/Clerics choice between:
    • +5% to Spellpower
    • +5% Crit Power
    • +5% Endurance; or
    • +5% Wisdom/Intelligence

for Rogues/Warriors choice between:
    • +5% to Attack Power
    • +5% Crit Power
    • +5% Endurance; or
    • +5% Strength/Dexterity

In lieu of usefulness, sensibility and intuitiveness, does anyone know where to look to gain some insight into Masteries? So I can pour hour upon hour into researching the topic, and ultimately have little-to-no impact into my gameplay...
    I lol'd when i read this mainly because I use mine all the time. I am sure there are some specs out there that you can customize that makes these worthless, but then again you might not want to be playing them then.

My 2 big ones that I use as a cleric is the one that lets me no longer have to cast Vex (saves a cd) and as Purifier my shield proc is increased and i can now have 2 different Signs up at a time instead of just 1 (raid and party OPness [yes say it out loud])

I can't speak to the other classes, but I can say for cleric, the masteries are amazeballz.

+ Reply to Thread