+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tanking

Default Tanking

Well the tank classes are not done yet and realy looking forward to seeing wat is available for tanks if any news that anyones comes across plz post ill do the same, Thank you, Chettank
    "It is what it is!" PVPVE East Coast Raiding

I can't wait to try tanking i want to see how the pulls work and if its aoe or you need CC. I'm so waiting on more details about the paladin.

same goes for myself.

~ Warbs

Yea same here, tanking has always pretty much been my favorite role. From sk in eq1 to pally/sk in eq2 and a death knihght/warrior/pally in wow, with several games inbetween.

Rift Master

Yeah I'm not much of a tank type person but with my Monk in EQ2 I tanks everything from VP to the dungeon on Island of Refuge. Hehe

I am looking forward to how tanking is handled in Rift.

Default Tank for LIfe

I always play a tank in MMO's as primary toon. Looking forward to seeing what Rift brings to the table. Hopefully we don't get a wow WotLK clone of just AOE tank everything.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Synnerson View Post
    I always play a tank in MMO's as primary toon. Looking forward to seeing what Rift brings to the table. Hopefully we don't get a wow WotLK clone of just AOE tank everything.
    Even Blizzard realized how much that sucked and drifted away from it. I certainly hope Trion doesn't try to emulate that. Or anything from WoW, but the UI and fluid movement, really.

Back on topic, I play only tanks in my MMOs. I really hope it's something fast-paced that requires a lot of reflexive action. If I want to AoE tank, I should be using everything I've got, tab targeting, using the occasional force target on a loose mob that resets aggro every so often if your dps isn't smart and either a) doesn't target it first or b) forgets to interrupt it during the cast that would cause said aggro to drop.

Tanking should be chaotic and dynamic. Any major survivability skills I have should be a long cooldown (15 min+) so that it only needs to be used in actual emergencies, not at the start of phase 3, 1 minute and 30 seconds after the boss flaps its wings. That's pure stupidity.

Im hoping for a nice balence. Example, aion is ALL Single and dual target tanking. There is very little aoe tanking at all. Where as WoW (pre-patch 4.0) was all aoe tanking.

In short i want a game that CC is still very important, and single target tanking is a must, however you still have the ability to tank multiple (and sometimes even more than necessary to pull) mobs and have AoE DPS as viable an option as single target.

Games that are a sure wipe when you accidentally pull 4 mobs instead of 3 arent much funt o me. Ont he other hand games where every single pull is 20+ mobs it gets pretty boring too.

And I know its obvious Paladins are going to be the main tanking "sub-class" and that possibly more are to come, but can we possibly look at the reaver as an off-tank and possibly a viable main tank when a paladin isnt available?

Default Reaver

Video I saw of Reaver tree showed a lot of root abilities having +threat on them .. so I would think they are a tank of some sort. Heavy Armor, Sword and Board, damage mitigation skills and added threat all seem to point to a tanking ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5sJKxVmiuE

Besides that, the description of that soul does not really lend itself to dps or support roll.

Peace,
    Synn
    Last edited by Solkaris; 10-19-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Reaver is the Defiant starting Tank. Personally I'm looking forward to Mage tanking.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Reaver is the Defiant starting Tank. Personally I'm looking forward to Mage tanking.
    Unless the mage sits in a protective bubble and can't do anything I hate this idea. I never understood the idea of tanking as a mage except for people who want it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Konji View Post
    Unless the mage sits in a protective bubble and can't do anything I hate this idea. I never understood the idea of tanking as a mage except for people who want it all.
    Well you better get used to the idea, one of the interviews mentioned it, along with Mage healing. We have already got the Cholormaner.

What is REALLY important is wether aggro skills do something in pvp (say, force target as in eq2 or apply damage penalties to enemies wh style or whatever), or will the tanks rely soloely on their CC and intervention skills to be useful in pvp?

i really liked aggro skills in War
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Well you better get used to the idea, one of the interviews mentioned it, along with Mage healing. We have already got the Cholormaner.
    I know I read the interviews but I still don't get the point of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast