+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Rogue class is most damaging in melee?

Soulwalker

Default Which Rogue class is most damaging in melee?

I have played tanks and rogues in most MMO's. Which rogue class is the most damaging in melee combat? With all abilities (evasion, armor, defensive stats) taken into mind, which Rogue class has the best ability to stand toe to toe?

Luethar

Ascendant

I don't think there's anywhere near enough information to judge which will be the hardest hitting yet to be honest. Though Assassins and Nightblades both seem melee damage oriented (with the latter having a few magic tricks in addition).

However, the Riftstalker is described as the "Rogue tank" so it's a safe bet that's going to be by far the most durable of the 8 (a few of their abilities are listed here: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...er-Class/page4).

Shadowlander

What Kedon said - not enough info yet. Also, the real question isn't "what is the most damaging rogue class" but "what is the most damaging rogue build", since it could be some crazy assassin/ranger/bard hybrid. And why worry about it? It's not like you'll be stuck playing whatever you pick at character creation.

The Rogues look really interesting in their variety of DPS modes.

Assassin, Riftstalker, Blade Dancer, Nightblade for flavors of Melee
    Ranger and Marksman for Ranged
    Bard, traditionally weak by themselves but add so much to a group with buffs it can be insane
    Saboteur, this seems to be a form of burst stealth dps.

As to which does the most in any particular situation, heh, good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Luethar View Post
    I have played tanks and rogues in most MMO's. Which rogue class is the most damaging in melee combat? With all abilities (evasion, armor, defensive stats) taken into mind, which Rogue class has the best ability to stand toe to toe?

Luethar
    Please keep in mind most of this is just gess work.

If I had to gess I would say a Riftstalker/ Bladedancer with some Saboture would be your best bet.

I don't remember where Russ Brown had mentioned it in one of his vidieos but the saboture is going to be a bit of a CC/DPS rogue soul.

It has been said that he will use bombs and traps or snares. " You will most likely be able to place traps almost anywhere is my gess."

As for the bombs I spicifily remember him saing you would be able to attatch upto five bombs to a target and then run away before you set them off.

Hope this helps.

Nemesis

Which one do you want answered? The most damaging or the most toe to toe as in the most survivable?

The most damaging we don't have a clue because we don't have a lot of the soul trees fleshed out.

The most toe to toe we can speculate is the Rift stalker that is supposedly the rogue tank class. However, it is entirely probable that there will be trade offs that will be advantageous to hybrid builds.

It is also possible that a pure or hybrid ranged dps class is the most survivable because they have skills such that they can never be touched if played skillfully.

The Bard has armor and hp buffs as well as heals so they seem to lead in the area of both preparing for incoming damage and being able to deal with it.

The blade dancer looks like it can teleport its way into and perhaps out of danger.

The assassin looks like it can sneak up on things and kill them before they get off more than a hit or two.

The saboteur has been explained as having misdirection skills. If they have a lot of bomb-like aoe CC abilities, they would be able to manipulate one on one or one on group situations better than most.

So there isn't any clear cut answer to your question, especially in light of the fact that the game is not in beta yet.

The answer is depends on the situation. Is it a range fight? Is it an endurance fight? Is it a short burst damage fight? What are the mobs resists. We don't know how much can be gained from having support classes.

Soulwalker

Thanks. I was thinking that perhaps someone in the early beta or alpha could give a little insight. I am so eager to play the game like I am sure most of you are. I only heard about the game a month ago, and have read some of the forum posts on classes. I thank you for the insight though!

Luethar.

Most of the stuff I know I get from reading other's posts, scouring telarapedia and watching videos.

You can get a lot of info from the videos if you turn off the sound or focus on the off topic comments.

+ Reply to Thread