+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello new here, haven't played MMORPG in 4-6 years since school/army

Soulwalker

Default Hello new here, haven't played MMORPG in 4-6 years since school/army

Missed WoW and looked for the best MMORPG and came across this game I was looking around to see what kind of characters to make and I'm stuck between a shaman/ stormbringer/ paragon. There was no real post comparing those two in terms of PVP
    Last edited by TrueHavoc; 10-15-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Rift Master

WOW just WOW, this post is just crazy across the board. Your asking about pvp in probably the worst game for pvp, then your asking about 3 souls from 3 different classes.

Well unfortunately your NOT going to find a comparison because a character build consists of 3 souls in one build. Then it depends on what your trying to accomplish with your particular build.

Currently from the sounds of it your trying to build a pure DPS character for PVP. Well I'm not an expert but my take is PVP is more about working with your teammates to accomplish a goal and how well you and your build works with that team.

I guess the best thing you can do is ready the PVP forums and see what being discussed there in terms of builds.

Next thing to mention is PVP is a SMALL after thought of the entire game. The Devs have worked hard to make it better but the fact is it shows that its an after thought. You are going to want to choose your class based on the largest factor OF this game and that is questing and grouping.

I always recommend choosing a class based on your preferred role IE healing tanking DPS support. With that in mind regardless your going to need to learn to either heal or tank as it makes progression in the rest of this game hundreds of times easier. DPS is a role that waits in line FOREVER to do anything as its a role EVERYBODY plays, but healing and tanking are roles less often filled and very desired.

So when choosing your class remember

Warrior = Tank
    Cleric = Healer
    Rogue = Melee DPS
    Mage = Ranged DPS

Sure each class can fulfill all 4 roles Heal, Tank, DPS, Support. If Melee DPS is your thing Rogue is going to have more options to choose from than a Cleric or Mage.

Hope this answers some of your questions hope you find a lot of enjoyment in Rift.

Shadowlander

Sort of depends on what you're wanting to do, each soul has its own thing. AoE ranged, Single Target Ranged, AoE Melee, Single Target Melee, DoTs, AoE Healing, ST Healing etc. etc.

And the yes every class can be every role, I would not limit yourself to the above list. I actually prefer cleric tank to warrior tank and rogue healer to cleric healer, for example.

Stormcaller is a ranged AoE mage that just got reworked so it is pretty nice. Shaman is a melee cleric, also pretty good on the single target DPS and same with paragon.

As the previous poster said, it would be easier to give some suggestion if we had more detail as to what you are looking for. There are calculators you can play around with on Rifthead and Magelo.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by TrueHavoc View Post
    Missed WoW and looked for the best MMORPG and came across this game I was looking around to see what kind of characters to make and I'm stuck between a shaman/ stormbringer/ paragon. There was no real post comparing those two in terms of PVP

I would consider Archeage or any other game that pops up on google after you type "Best MMO for PvP" over Rift. If you like PvE Rift is great but they screwed up because even pve'ers are forced to pvp to maximize currency and PvP has been an utter mess for awhile.

Shadowlander

Archeage is great, too. I play both, but coming from WoW it's not apples to apples gameplay wise. So if the OP is looking for similar gameplay RIFT would be closer. Archeage would not be the place to go for those who don't like PvP as it is a big part of the game. It does have a 3 tree system similar to RIFT except it's 10 trees total in any combination. It also has a really nice crafting system.

If you do decide to check out Archeage, there's a calculator for that at:

http://arche-base.com/builds/generator

As I said I enjoy both, mostly due to the flexibility of the class systems.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by SorrowXAccepted View Post
    Archeage is great, too. I play both, but coming from WoW it's not apples to apples gameplay wise. So if the OP is looking for similar gameplay RIFT would be closer. Archeage would not be the place to go for those who don't like PvP as it is a big part of the game. It does have a 3 tree system similar to RIFT except it's 10 trees total in any combination. It also has a really nice crafting system.

If you do decide to check out Archeage, there's a calculator for that at:

http://arche-base.com/builds/generator

As I said I enjoy both, mostly due to the flexibility of the class systems.
    Well the OP's post mentions 3 souls from 3 classes in regards to PVP. So theres almost not even a good starting point as well all know you don't really compare souls you compare builds cause you can builds a 61 soul in various aways alone with the extra 15 points, and that's even considering you place all 61 points into the soul.

Shadowlander

Yeah, sorta the joys/problems of having so many choices. Oh well, playing with the calculators and theorycrafting gives me something to do when it's slow at work XD.

+ Reply to Thread