+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Burninalways

Thread: Guard ?

Plane Touched

Default Guard ?

Could someone explain to me why i should pick guard over say block or parry or dodge ?

And since I have been told that it is an "aura" why would you even bother having say a second tank with guard on fights with two tanks since that aura apparently do not stack ?

Does this not essentially create a situation where you need two sets of tank gear one for guard and one for "mitigation" ?

I think Toughness has been replaced with Guard (I could be wrong). This means you don't have to make a choice, it will naturally come.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Guard is full damage reduction.
    Block is a chance at damage reduction on Physical attacks.
    Dodge is a small chance you miss a Physical attack.
    Parry is no longer available.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 09-25-2014 at 05:47 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Rift Chaser

plus, depending on the range, this being an aura will open up some additional mechanics/tactics for boss fights especially with multiple tanks and potential raid group splits.

looking at the test gear posted and the upgrade paths Id say its a replacement for Parry, in that you can choose between block/dodge/guard on the gear upgrade paths. id expect it works kinda like CP in that there will be a soft/hard cap where its a sought after stat until caps are reached (not in Beta so cannot say for certain).

Toughness is actually now combined with Hit, only question is does that now give everyone crit resistance like the old Toughness? what about in PvP?

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Fliptrik View Post
    plus, depending on the range, this being an aura will open up some additional mechanics/tactics for boss fights especially with multiple tanks and potential raid group splits.

looking at the test gear posted and the upgrade paths Id say its a replacement for Parry, in that you can choose between block/dodge/guard on the gear upgrade paths. id expect it works kinda like CP in that there will be a soft/hard cap where its a sought after stat until caps are reached (not in Beta so cannot say for certain).

Toughness is actually now combined with Hit, only question is does that now give everyone crit resistance like the old Toughness? what about in PvP?

Block and Deflect were merged now Block

Parry and Dodge were merged - now Parry

The Toughness\Hit requirement to tank a Dungeon/Raid is now just a Hit Requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Opira View Post
    Could someone explain to me why i should pick guard over say block or parry or dodge ?
    Because Guard is reliable, and parry/block are not.

Seriously, the avoidance stats have hilariously terrible and useless for over two years. They will probably continue to be so in Nightmare Tide.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Tollwutig View Post
    Block and Deflect were merged now Block

Parry and Dodge were merged - now Parry

The Toughness\Hit requirement to tank a Dungeon/Raid is now just a Hit Requirement.
    Could anyone point me to the post or anything else with this information? It's nice to see Trion chose to change the tanking stereotype (merging dodge and parry, even though they are almost useless). I have been probably out for longer than i thought.

Ascendant

If you go on the PTS shard you can see for yourself by checking out the stats screen: Rogues' and Mages' Deflect has been converted into Block like Clerics and Warriors. Parry is gone. Toughness has been replaced by Guard.

Plane Touched

Although guard does provide a flat mitigation bonus, the value is small approx 1000 guard only nets around 2.5% mitigation on the PTS atm. Wheras on fights with blockable melee damage incoming a similar number of items / essences with block is giving 40%+ block chanceat 32% mitigation, which by my poor maths averages around 10%. So as always the block becomes situational.
    Last edited by Thunrar; 10-06-2014 at 05:20 AM.
    You are entitled to a vomit bag, if you do not have one, one will be provided for you. We're strapped for cash so it may be used, barf carefully!

Councillor Thunrar@Zaviel Keeper of the Dead <Servants of None>
    Guild Motto: Why did that happen? Because **** you that's why!

+ Reply to Thread