+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why choose less than 3 souls?

Default Why choose less than 3 souls?

It seems in a lot of the builds I see people posting, one thing many have in common, they post only having 1 or 2 souls. According to information from Scott and a few others i've seen in videos the skills will be leveled up based on level and with in game currency so the skills at level 0 may still be usable until the later levels or possibly forever with some builds.

In other words, I don't understand why anyone would select to just have 1 soul only and perhaps i'm being naive and in reality everyone will choose 3 souls but i'm curious for the people choosing the 1 soul to put all your points in, what other souls they would take for their level 0 skills. In this case, especially for the cleric calling.

For the Clerics (Since we have more information about them than any other class)

Inquisitors -
    Vex - Death based damage over time
    Bolt of Judgement - Light based dd

Justicar -
    Strike of Judgement - Melee based attack

Purifiers -
    Soul Lance - Light based dd - Was curious why this is light based and not fire based
    Shield of the Ancestors - 30 second damage shield

Sentinel -
    Healing Breath - Single target heal 8 sec cooldown
    Light bolt - Light based dd

Shaman -
    Crushing blow - Melee based attack

Warden -
    Waterjet - Water based dd

Based on the information above which is all we have so far, I could see plenty of reason to add the 2 extra souls even if only for the level 0 skills. A good point to point out though, I could see many people picking the exact same souls for the level 0 skills for cleric calling. I think if I made a 51 point shaman for instance, I'd grab the sentinel and purifier every time for the level 0 skills. In a way, i'd like all the souls to be just as viable regardless of which one we choose. I also know that this information is not final so there may not even be any need for this post but thought in general here is that I would like to see a good difference between all lvl 0 skills regardless of the class. Any thoughts on this?

Even my dark passenger wants to play Rift.

because pure pyromancer is win "_"
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Im sure theres some powerful spells and abilities at the end of a soul tree which would require you to be pure or maybe 1 and half classes.

It might be that spreading your souls over 3 classes gimps you, atm we just dont know.
    So cant really say atm need more info on the subject.
    Heretics and Blasphemers shall be purged by the righteous with fire

The only reason I could come up with is that level 0 spells or abilities would be rather useless as you go up in level. If I am fighting a level 25 mob or healing a level 25 pc a level 0 spell or heal would be rather useless, wouldn't it. Just my thoughts. I guess it depends on how characters and abilities progress through the chain. Testing this out may be the only way to tell.

I don't see why you wouldn't equip 3 souls though anyway...the free abilities are just that - free - so you don't lose anything if you decide to go with two. Just pick something that will give ya a teensy boost and roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelar View Post
    Im sure theres some powerful spells and abilities at the end of a soul tree which would require you to be pure or maybe 1 and half classes.

It might be that spreading your souls over 3 classes gimps you, atm we just dont know.
    So cant really say atm need more info on the subject.
    having the soul equipped doesn't cost anything and gives you a basic skill without any points needed at all, a basic purifier is pretty nice as it gives you a shield spell.

Computer: Massive sexy beast that rocks your socks off

The only reason I posted the post was to point out that some of the devs have said in the videos that the skills can be leveled up. If I make a melee'er with very little to no healing any heal spell may be worth having even if it's a level 0 skill that I leveled up. Atleast that's the way I see it. BTW, for the person who mentioned the pure build (Nelar), I know building the pure build is nice to get that 51st point in for the last root ability, i've taken that into consideration, the lvl 0 skills don't cost you anything (point wise) so I was just saying why not have them anyways, or why wouldn't you have them is more of the question imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexterm View Post
    The only reason I posted the post was to point out that some of the devs have said in the videos that the skills can be leveled up. If I make a melee'er with very little to no healing any heal spell may be worth having even if it's a level 0 skill that I leveled up. Atleast that's the way I see it. BTW, for the person who mentioned the pure build (Nelar), I know building the pure build is nice to get that 51st point in for the last root ability, i've taken that into consideration, the lvl 0 skills don't cost you anything (point wise) so I was just saying why not have them anyways, or why wouldn't you have them is more of the question imo.
    Love the Sig

And level 0 skills have ranks too, so you wouldn't always be stuck with a low level version of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TezonAnejo View Post
    Love the Sig
    Thanks, I've been loving the Dexter series for a while, and wanted to change my nick, it was the perfect change. DarkPassenger was just simply too long to type all the time .

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    I don't see why you wouldn't equip 3 souls though anyway...the free abilities are just that - free - so you don't lose anything if you decide to go with two. Just pick something that will give ya a teensy boost and roll with it.
    Took the words from my mouth.. absolutely agree

I'm sure pretty much everybody will end up with 3 souls equipped for the free abilities, no reason not to.

Have to agree with that. I'd rather have a tiny boost than none at all. But I also haven't decided what souls I want because I want to see how they work first and we don't really have enough detail to know that and won't till we play it.

I think we should just take the warning labels off of everything and let evolution do it's work. Weed out the stupid people.

This discussion makes me really excited to play around with character development. I can't wait to see some of the creative builds people can come up with.

I think there are some people who want to play this like a "classic" MMORPG with ONE class.
    Though this really isn't a "Classic" MMORPG it's the dawn of the third generation of MMOs.

It started with UO, AC, AO, EQ, and those originals, then the second generation started with WoW, EQ2, EvE, and is still going with new games. But I think 2011 will be a new age for MMOs. We will start to see REAL revolution, games like Rift and TERA which are pulling out of the original ideas of an MMO even more so than the second generation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast