+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Geopenguin
  • 1 Post By Ulthran

Thread: Just starting out, what class please?

Soulwalker

Default Just starting out, what class please?

I really want to try a pet class as i have bad eyes and it is easier for me to have the pet up front and attacking and me in the back. I just dont know which of the three i would like more

easiest solo?
    least button rotation?
    wanted in groups?

quickness does not matter to me. Please and Thank You

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by LunaMoth View Post
    I really want to try a pet class as i have bad eyes and it is easier for me to have the pet up front and attacking and me in the back. I just dont know which of the three i would like more

easiest solo?
    least button rotation?
    wanted in groups?

I should also say i like 1 one 1 rather than AOE, AOE is too much chaos for me.

Champion of Telara

You want 41 Druid/28 Justicar/ 7 Shaman.

Right now Ranger has one of the highest st dps in the game. Plus you have a choice of pets while soloing.
    Beware the Penguin...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LunaMoth View Post

easiest solo?
    least button rotation?
    wanted in groups?

Warrior.

Warlord/Paladin/Tempest.

You will have a decent amount of dps, a lot of HP, a lot of defense, and ranged instant cast attacks.

But I am horribly bias.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Koal View Post
    Warrior.

Warlord/Paladin/Tempest.

You will have a decent amount of dps, a lot of HP, a lot of defense, and ranged instant cast attacks.

But I am horribly bias.
    Warlords getting nerfed to hell and will be much squishier... probably as squishy as riftblade and paragon.

Warrior also has no petting class options for solo'ing as our only petting class cannot be used for solo'ing effectively.

Personally I consider warrior to be the worst class for your main. All the other classes have better options for every role in the game and now we lost Warlord which was the only real tanky dps available in game and the only thing warrior had going for it over the other classes.

Our healing class is terrible, our support class is terrible, our ranged dps is way outpaced by pyro now, our melee dps is only about as good as every other classes melee dps, we have the least and worst feasible pvp builds, and our tank is soundly spanked by Arbiter now.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaMoth
    Just starting out, what class please?

easiest solo?
    least button rotation?
    wanted in groups?

100% agree with Caeus on Cleric and Druid. Best petting solo class in the whole game hands down, very simple and super effective. And the druid/shaman solo mix can pile most of the reactives into one macro so it uses few buttons save for a couple of optional DoT's that can increase damage output.
    Last edited by Kenjitamura; 09-09-2014 at 08:52 PM.

I'm also new, but am really digging the Elemental pet with pyro as main tree, and about 10 points in the Thunder one.
    My Youtube:

Soulwalker

Keep in mind that you're actually asking two questions, probably with two opposite answers:

Which pet class is the easiest to solo and has the least button rotation?
    Rogue is a fairly easy pet class for starting out and soloing, and you can do decent DPS with a fairly simple rotation. If you're new to the game and want to start out easy and slow, rogue is a pretty good option.

Which pet class is wanted in groups?
    The question here is, what kind of groups? Just running around with others, doing zone events and instant adventures? In that case, probably any pet class that appeals to you. Or do you mean dungeons and raids? In that case, you may need to do some research into optimal specs for your class.

Specs designed for solo leveling and easy rotation are typically not great for heavy group work.

I've done them all. In my view, open world leveling with pets is the way to go.

I'd rank them like this:

ranger/mm/rs All you can in ranger early ending up about 36 ranger/40 mm/0 rs

and really just as good in my view

elementalist/pyro/archon
    or
    necro/warlock/archon

Both are fun while some places one style is stronger and other places the other.

druid/shaman/inquish or druid/justicar/inquish
    the pet is good for open world while the killing might be a tad slower. The weakness is taking clerics into warfronts unless you're goinna heal.

And last but not least the warrior and his cat. The melee is just not my style.
    If I wanta do that I use the druid combos just above.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Rift Disciple

Default An overview of Your options

First of all, it's all about the flavour here in Rift. If you don't like to use fire Offensively, there is no reason to create a pyro, is there(it being the best ST soul not withstanding )? Second, every class has a soul(some more, but definitely one) that helps you solo easily. Thirdly: if a class has more than one solo friendly soul, pick just one. Finally: solo friendly classes have the following traits: kiting ability with high range, Healing without actually doing anything and/or summons. Onto the classes!

WARRIOR:

Warrior is not that good. It is a victim of multiple changes which completely strangled it. Can it be played? Sure! But I feel that it is outclassed on every front, solo included. Strangely enough, I feel like Tempe/Riftblade is your best bet here. Tempe has huge range, can kite, good damage, has a self Heal and a shield. Riftblade will increase your damage, your kiting ability and give you a duplicate of your shield(for a near 100% upkeep). Pick a Paladin for your third soul and go up to heal(some, hmmm, 15ish points). Max Tempe. Sure, you could take Warlord/Champion but Warlord will be getting a beatdown and soon, so I wouldn't suggest you use this classic. Our pet class was revamped shortly after beta, see. It used to have a tank stance, a DPS stance and sth in between. Sadly, this feature of Beastmaster is long gone. Warlord was also a support once(hint: Warlord is clearly inspired by Knight/chosen from WAR, so wth is it not a support O.o ). They swapped places see and bm got strangled. It IS a fun class, but not terribly efficient(for a support). As a pet class, it is useless!

So: Tempe and Paladin are a must for a Warrior and for the third, I'd highly suggest taking Riftblade(it really buffs tempe dmg), but you can take some other soul.

ROGUE:

Rogues are fine soloers. They have multiple choices when it comes to solo and you can really define how you want to solo. Marksman has a huge range and can kite better than anybody(but has less dmg than tempe). Ranger has a tanking pet. Tactician has curative engine(HAX!). Bard can also kite reasonably and can have good range. In order to create a build you'll like, you have to answer few questions:

-> Do I want a pet?
    -> Ranged or melee?
    -> Do I want peak efficiency in solo or do I want to dabble in utility as well?
    -> Do I want stealth(pick just ONE stealth soul!)

When you have answered those, you'll know what you want. Remember the rule: only one solo soul! So, for example, you want to play an Assassin. Take Assassin, Bladedancer and Tactician. Put exactly 4 points into tact, some 15-ish into bd(so you get + 10% dmg to both your builders AND finishers), continue to max Assassin.

So: There are no must haves here, but tactician comes strangely useful in multiple situations. I'd suggest taking it and taking other souls depending on how you want to play.

CLERIC:

Clerics are very competent in solo aspect. They have the most choices when it comes to soloing, especially evident if you are creative. Purifier, Warden and Defiler can all help with soloing. Then there is druid. Then Justicar. Basically, the only souls that can't level effectively(or bring anything noteworthy) are: Shaman, Inquisitor and Sentinel. Everything else is a fair game. Trust me, it is. Even Warden/Purifier/Sentinel combo(ok this one is overkill, but you get the point ;) ). You can create your solo build here or pick a good solo option and continue defining your build with other souls. Especially effective solo souls are:

-> Defiler(that beacon is a godsend for every AoE Heavy situation-guess which is second soul you'll take ;) )
    -> Druid(it has a tanking pet, so it is especially noteworthy for ranged DPS players who want to use ST effectively in solo)
    -> Justicar(self heals and increased defense are wonderful for a melee oriented build)

One of those three will be your keystone around which you will build your character. Just to reiterate: Defiler -> AoE(ranged), Druid -> ST(either) and Justicar(melee). Those three are especially nice for new players(ok maybe not Defiler because you DO need SL in order to even play it!), but! It's hard to go wrong in solo when playing a Cleric.

MAGE:

The best solo class(oddly enough, this could be said for any role >.> ), though it doesn't have the customisability of a Cleric. You have three keystones here:

-> Chloromancer
    -> Necromancer
    -> Elementalist

Teh long words :O! Anyhow, Chloromancer can be adapted to give you unusual survivability through the interaction between Withering vine, veil, instacasted Flourish and natural conversion(proper usage of this one SAVES your LIFE!). Necro and Ele are both pet classes and even in spite me recommending you to take a single pet(solo) class, if you take both, you'll end up with wickedly powerful pets. You can also combine Chloromancer with either of these pet classes(because Chloromancer has got better DPS than any healer with the possible exception of Warden) for crazy amount of solo ability, but the game becomes kinda sluggish then(but you CAN'T BE KILLED!!!). Options are:

-> Chloromancer/Harbinger: Ah the classic! For the third, I'd take Arbiter and you suddenly became wickedly powerful in solo!
    -> Chloromancer/Warlock: teh sw33t DoTs! It suffers in AoE heavy encounters but ST encounters? Wonderful!
    -> Elementalist/Pyromancer: lots and lots of crits . Add in Archon for even more crits! If you ask me, this is the best ST solo build out there.
    -> Necromancer/Warlock: good solo with DoT themed approach. It works!
    -> Chloromancer/Elementalist: already discussed
    -> Necromancer/Elementalist: already discussed
    -> Chloromancer/Elementalist/Necromancer: oh god, the overkill! You really shouldn't tryhard so...
    -> (Dominator/Elementalist: this used to be quite a nice thing back when we had a storm shield. You put it on your earth ele and the enemies killed themselves on it. It was extra fun and efficient, especially when you got Haunting pain and storm shackles{I think that's the name -> microburst talent modifies it}. Shame this is not a thing anymore ;( ;( )

Now, armed with this encyclopaedic knowledge, go out there and HAVE FUN!!!

Cheers!

Default Economics

Quality, Time, Cost - Pick Two...

Equates to: Wantability, Ease, Dmg/Healing Done
    Last edited by DmgIncGM; 09-26-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Plane Touched

I've had good times with the ranger. Besides being among the highest ranged DPS'ers, you get a good range of powerful pets as well.

I like to put take marksman for an offsoul or 0 point soul with it because with the kiting speed bonus from Swift Shot you can use the DPS pet to kill mobs faster and just kite them if it loses threat.

The other advantage is that ranger doesn't actually have a real button rotation. it's all about priority: Are all the buffs you want on the enemy mob on it? then spam Quick Shot (or Swift Shot) until you have 5 skulls and use your finisher. Rinse repeat.

edit: that said, rogues have 1 glaring disadvantage over other classes & that is the abysmal self-healing abilities in their free souls, especially for off-soul uses. All your healing will be a % of the damage your pet does and maybe a small boost if you take 8 points in riftstalker. I've never had any real problems with it unless I run into a huge group of 5 or 6 mobs that anyone would struggle with, but it's a good idea to keep some food & drink with you if you go this route
    Last edited by Quwo; 09-27-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Warrior is in a very difficult spot right now and it will only get worse with the coming Warlord nerfs. I would go with a cleric, they are simply better all around.

+ Reply to Thread