+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ianto Jones
  • 1 Post By Ianto Jones

Thread: What's the prevailing opinion on the current (and upcoming) tank and healer souls?

Telaran

Default What's the prevailing opinion on the current (and upcoming) tank and healer souls?

I'm just wondering what the consensus is as far as the best tanking and healing classes/souls. Are some more preferred than others? Are some classes better at AOE than others? Does it help that rogues and mages only have one soul for each role and are thus more "focused" than a tanking warrior or healing cleric?

Thanks!

All tanks are viable, Mage tanks are slightly preferred and Warrior tanks slightly less desired but it's not a huge deal and Warriors are seeing some significant changes in the near future. Healers it's a bit more complicated.

Clerics have multiple healing souls and are the most versatile. Rogue's healing soul is borderline OP and highly desired in almost every raid comp either as a full spec or hybrid, and is the best PvP healer. Mage's healing soul is the most flexible and brings significant DPS and necessary buffs to a raid, as well as being able to switch on-the-fly between powerful sustained AOE healing and powerful sustained tank healing; but, it's very bad in PvP. Warrior's healing soul is seldom used in PvE or PvP.

Telaran

I should add that I'm currently leveling a warrior but I'm wondering if there aren't other tanks that are better. I've always enjoyed AOE tanking rather than having to grab threat one mob at a time, because let's face it, most dungeons have groups of mobs. Is warrior good for this, or should I consider another class? Is warrior healing worth it as well?

Thanks!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    All tanks are viable, Mage tanks are slightly preferred and Warrior tanks slightly less desired but it's not a huge deal and Warriors are seeing some significant changes in the near future. Healers it's a bit more complicated.

Clerics have multiple healing souls and are the most versatile. Rogue's healing soul is borderline OP and highly desired in almost every raid comp either as a full spec or hybrid, and is the best PvP healer. Mage's healing soul is the most flexible and brings significant DPS and necessary buffs to a raid, as well as being able to switch on-the-fly between powerful sustained AOE healing and powerful sustained tank healing; but, it's very bad in PvP. Warrior's healing soul is seldom used in PvE or PvP.
    Wow, I'm surprised rogue is so good at the two jobs that they never do in other MMOs! Edit: oh wait, you didn't mention rogue tanks.

Sucks about warriors since that's what I'm leveling. Why are they less preferred tanks and not used for healing?
    Last edited by JohnJSal; 07-31-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJSal View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised rogue is so good at the two jobs that they never do in other MMOs! Edit: oh wait, you didn't mention rogue tanks.

Sucks about warriors since that's what I'm leveling. Why are they less preferred tanks and not used for healing?
    Their tank souls are slightly behind in mitigation/utility at the high end. Warriors are leaps and bounds ahead in DPS so it's a waste to use Warriors as tanks or healers. Moreover there is nothing that the Warrior healing soul can do that other healing souls can't match or do better. There are some big changes coming for Warrior, though, including: Reaver being turned into a full DPS soul, their DPS being tuned to be better aligned with other callings, and some buffs to Paladin and Void Knight tanks.

Rogues do excel as tanks. Rogues are pretty much good at everything, especially if you PvP.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Their tank souls are slightly behind in mitigation/utility at the high end. Warriors are leaps and bounds ahead in DPS so it's a waste to use Warriors as tanks or healers. Moreover there is nothing that the Warrior healing soul can do that other healing souls can't match or do better. There are some big changes coming for Warrior, though, including: Reaver being turned into a full DPS soul, their DPS being tuned to be better aligned with other callings, and some buffs to Paladin and Void Knight tanks.

Rogues do excel as tanks. Rogues are pretty much good at everything, especially if you PvP.
    Reaver always had the flavor of dps for me anyway. But does that mean warriors will just have two tanking souls?

So if I prefer to tank and heal and not really dps, warrior is not a good choice? Seems like mage or rogue might be good choices. I like the idea of AOE *and* single target tank healing (mage). How good is the mage at aoe tanking? How good is the rogue at the aoe heals and tanking?

Eventually I'll level all the classes, but I'm trying to settle on the "perfect" class right now that can do every role well...

Telaran

I guess I should also ask about support souls. Any considered better than others?

+ Reply to Thread