+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deciding what class to play

Soulwalker

Default Deciding what class to play

Hello. I downloaded Rift and I have to create a character, but the problem is that I can't decide what to play.

Initially, I wanted to play a mage, but I heard everyone saying that mage is bad in PvP and everywhere else and that some special "souls" (I think souls means specialization right ?) which you have to pay for are dominating the PvP.

People told me to make a warrior or a rogue, but I heard that the good specializations of those are in shop. So do I have a chance to actually be good in PvP without those special souls like Tempest ?

Is Mage that bad as everyone says in PvP and PvE ?

I am really confuse, I look forward to some answers. Thanks everyone

Sword of Telara

your focus seems to be on pvp and you dont want to spend money yet.
    i would go for rogue then. if you like to heal cleric could be an option.

a warrior should have tempest and a mage needs to hide behind a team.

Rogues have always had a good spot in pvp, and they very likely always will.....
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=806168&dateline=13715  70211

Soulwalker

It's not that I don't want to spend money. The problem is that I don't have any at all. So without pay to win specs I can't play this game right ?

Rift Master

Echoing the 'go rogue' sentiment. The other callings may not require the purchased souls, but the purchased souls make them a lot more viable.

As for mages, it takes a highly skilled player with positioning and team awareness to make a mage spec work in pvp. The rotations are complex, mostly without any reward. They're squishy. They're cast time reliant, not as mobile as other dps. But even with all these downfalls, people play them. Some even play them well. And in low level pvp, current version of one of the free souls (pyro) owns. Just not so much at endgame.

Soulwalker

So..I ask again... without pay to win souls I can't do anything in this game right ?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Kropchantius View Post
    So..I ask again... without pay to win souls I can't do anything in this game right ?

Yes and no....

The free to play souls are very robust and offer a lot of diversity, which allow all classes to play a large array of roles. Now I am not an expert on pvp, but I will give you the bets rundown I can about how the non f2p souls function in pvp.

Warriors
    SL Soul: Tempest- Ranged DPS
    MUST HAVE! It is your ranged spec and no matter what you are running you will at least want this a tertiary tree (0 point third three) for the ranged attack

Dream Soul: Liberator- Group Heals
    Not needed. Decent PVE raid spec, but from what I understand not very good in pvp,

Rogues
    SL Soul: Tactician- Support
    Not Needed. Currently not in a very good place balance wise. It does have good lower talents, like curative engine, so it useful for open world, not very useful in pvp.

Dream Soul: Physician- ST (tank) Healing
    Not needed, UNLESS you like healing. If you want to heal in warfronts this soul is currently amazing. However, to get full effectiveness you need to pair it with tactician.

Clerics:
    SL Soul: Defiler- Heal/Support
    Eh, its up to you. This soul is quite useful in warfronts, but clerics have other tools for healing, so this isnt necessary. Very unique soul with a very unique playstyle, if you are into that.

Dream Soul: Oracle- Support
    Not sure about this one. This is a direct mirror of the rogues's f2p bard soul, but it does WAY more damage. If you want to support in warfronts, this is your best bet.

Mages
    SL Soul: Harbinger- Melee DPS
    Not needed. I could be wrong but I dont think anyone plays 61 harb in warfronts. This was used as a secondary soul until the recent changes to Storm Caller.

Dream Soul: Arbiter- Tank
    Possibly needed. One of the complaints about mages in pvp is that they have no survivability, but if you use this soul as a secondary you can change that.

TL;DR If you want to dps rogues (61 assassin) and mages (Storm Caller variants) are very good in warfronts if you cant buy the SL souls and get Tempest.
    Last edited by OmegaDagger; 07-29-2014 at 08:18 AM.

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

Soulwalker

Well it's disappointing that the cash shop specializations have more advantage over the non cash shop ones. The new ones should just have unique styles of playing, not pay to win.

Why make the game free to play if it's pay to win ? Just make it again subscription based and done... I am really discouraged to play now due to only cash shop specs owning in PvP (I want both PvE and PvP, but once the PvE content is done you play PvP, that's why I'm interested in it).

Is there really such a big gap between cash shop souls and non cash shop ones ? Also, who thought that a RANGED warrior (melee class) is a good idea ? That's bull.....

Plane Touched

Well it's disappointing that the cash shop specializations have more advantage over the non cash shop ones. The new ones should just have unique styles of playing, not pay to win.

Why make the game free to play if it's pay to win ? Just make it again subscription based and done... I am really discouraged to play now due to only cash shop specs owning in PvP (I want both PvE and PvP, but once the PvE content is done you play PvP, that's why I'm interested in it).

Is there really such a big gap between cash shop souls and non cash shop ones ? Also, who thought that a RANGED warrior (melee class) is a good idea ? That's bull.....
    I understand what you are saying in that F2P should not be "pay to win", but i think f2p is a misnomer. It's free to play, yes, but it's not free to compete at the highest level. In other words, the game is not free, which I am personally fine with.

As for warriors being a "melee" class, you are playing the absolute wrong game if you think that. That is NOT the basic game design of Rift. If you think "warrior" means anything besides what type of resource the class uses, you should go back to WoW right now, because all this game with do is frustrate you.

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

Rift Master

The game isn't pay to win. It's pay for convenience, and pay to compete at top levels. The best gear in the game (on a technicality) isn't buyable in the cash shop.

You don't have to buy the souls to enjoy the game. If you get good, you don't have to have the purchased souls to do well in pvp. The purchased souls make some things easier, but enough skill level negates the benefit.

Also, another thing to note about Rift. With the inclusion of both purchaseable soul packs, every class in the game can perform every role. So if you hate the idea of a mage tank, a ranged warrior, a rogue healer, etc, this game will annoy you. The only traditions it sticks to is the armor each class can wear, and the basic purpose of the various roles.

It takes awhile for a new player to get to 60 without using cash shop boosters. Use that time to play the free souls and see if you like the game. As mentioned before, rogue's bard is very competitive in pvp at low levels, its a free to play soul. Pyro (mage) is also competitive at low levels, its a free to play soul. Rogue's ranger/marksman is decent for pvp at low levels, I felt pretty invincible with a low skill cap. Cleric pvp wasn't good for me as a dps until after level 40 or so. My warrior isn't high level, can't comment on that. But warriors are the biggest threat to my other 3 characters in pvp.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaDagger View Post
    Yes and no....

The free to play souls are very robust and offer a lot of diversity, which allow all classes to play a large array of roles. Now I am not an expert on pvp, but I will give you the bets rundown I can about how the non f2p souls function in pvp.

Warriors
    SL Soul: Tempest- Ranged DPS
    MUST HAVE! It is your ranged spec and no matter what you are running you will at least want this a tertiary tree (0 point third three) for the ranged attack
    With Paragon having the ability to go full ranged for 15s out of every 30s, Tempest is hardly a "must have." And every PvE fight can be done in melee.

Dream Soul: Liberator- Group Heals
    Not needed. Decent PVE raid spec, but from what I understand not very good in pvp,
    It's can also take the place of a Warden in CQ or WFs.

Rogues
    SL Soul: Tactician- Support
    Not Needed. Currently not in a very good place balance wise. It does have good lower talents, like curative engine, so it useful for open world, not very useful in pvp.

Dream Soul: Physician- ST (tank) Healing
    Not needed, UNLESS you like healing. If you want to heal in warfronts this soul is currently amazing. However, to get full effectiveness you need to pair it with tactician.
    Phys is pretty good.

Clerics:
    SL Soul: Defiler- Heal/Support
    Eh, its up to you. This soul is quite useful in warfronts, but clerics have other tools for healing, so this isnt necessary. Very unique soul with a very unique playstyle, if you are into that.

Dream Soul: Oracle- Support
    Not sure about this one. This is a direct mirror of the rogues's f2p bard soul, but it does WAY more damage. If you want to support in warfronts, this is your best bet.
    Defiler has the best PvP CD in the game, but, yeah, it's weird.

Mages
    SL Soul: Harbinger- Melee DPS
    Not needed. I could be wrong but I dont think anyone plays 61 harb in warfronts. This was used as a secondary soul until the recent changes to Storm Caller.
    SC didn't really replace harb, it's good to use both when maxing Spellpower.

Dream Soul: Arbiter- Tank
    Possibly needed. One of the complaints about mages in pvp is that they have no survivability, but if you use this soul as a secondary you can change that.
    Arbiter has some pretty good builds centered around it for PvP.

Soulwalker

my experience from playing mmos wow clones at least in pve casting classes(paladin, mage) have the most advantages and require no skill to play, yes no skill to play. meaning for example with mage the rotation is very easy and handling dots more easier and broken. healing in a mmo has always been op it has something to do with the raids but the most annoying, role because of the bars are too many to handle at least in raids. so if you want easy role in pve go for a ranged dps especially caster. if you want to faceroll pvp healer or dps tanking. melee dps are the hardest to play in pve. oh mana will always be op. ranged dps its the easiest role just stand there spamming rotation and watch boss die. its the melee tanks and healers that have it hard.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by kaleotyr View Post
    my experience from playing mmos wow clones at least in pve casting classes(paladin, mage) have the most advantages and require no skill to play, yes no skill to play. meaning for example with mage the rotation is very easy and handling dots more easier and broken. healing in a mmo has always been op it has something to do with the raids but the most annoying, role because of the bars are too many to handle at least in raids. so if you want easy role in pve go for a ranged dps especially caster. if you want to faceroll pvp healer or dps tanking. melee dps are the hardest to play in pve. oh mana will always be op. ranged dps its the easiest role just stand there spamming rotation and watch boss die. its the melee tanks and healers that have it hard.
    Have you played Rift? Or only other wow clones? I'm not trolling, I'm legitimately asking. What you describe was fairly close to my experience in another game. But not here. Mages here have complicated specs. The complication can reward you with good dps, but not anymore so than far more simple specs/callings. The tanks I know largely talk about how dull tanking is. Not that it really matters, tanks aren't good for the type of bragging rights pvp MMOs have. They're good for the pve objectives Rift includes. Mana classes here are not OP in pvp. Rogues and mages both have mana drains, and aren't afraid to use them.. and abuse them.. and use them some more. Single target healers are OP in pvp. Unless they're a mana user and get drained constantly. But not if they're a rogue who's only inconvenienced for a second or two.
    Last edited by Taledra; 07-29-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Taledra View Post
    Have you played Rift? Or only other wow clones? I'm not trolling, I'm legitimately asking. What you describe was fairly close to my experience in another game. But not here. Mages here have complicated specs. The complication can reward you with good dps, but not anymore so than far more simple specs/callings. The tanks I know largely talk about how dull tanking is. Not that it really matters, tanks aren't good for the type of bragging rights pvp MMOs have. They're good for the pve objectives Rift includes. Mana classes here are not OP in pvp. Rogues and mages both have mana drains, and aren't afraid to use them.. and abuse them.. and use them some more. Single target healers are OP in pvp. Unless they're a mana user and get drained constantly. But not if they're a rogue who's only inconvenienced for a second or two.
    rift is a wow clone...complicated, what complicated?i meant OP in PVE not pvp. you are talking in a PVP perspective i have said healers are op in pvp and tank dps(warrior, etc) oriented specs.ranged classes has alot of advantages in a PVE raid setting.yes true mastering damage of the class takes time but ranged classes has alot of advantages being far away versus melee dps classes.
    Last edited by kaleotyr; 07-30-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by kaleotyr View Post
    rift is a wow clone...complicated, what complicated?i meant OP in PVE not pvp. you are talking in a PVP perspective i have said healers are op in pvp and tank dps(warrior, etc) oriented specs.ranged classes has alot of advantages in a PVE raid setting.yes true mastering damage of the class takes time but ranged classes has alot of advantages being far away versus melee dps classes.
    In pve, pretty much any class can be competent, or OP in the right hands (player not the class). Some specific souls need some work. But saying that mages are easy to play and OP is misleading in either pve or pvp. The abysmal numbers a lot of mages pull while they're in the process of learning their specs can attest to this. I've been in games where casters are faceroll easy and OP, this isn't one. I never played wow, nor do I desire to play wow.

I'm not convinced of ranged having all the advantages either. Everything I've read on raiding through t2 says those fights can be done in melee. Melee in this game gives higher damage output.

In pvp, ranged has more advantages. But several melee souls have so many tools to counter this, the advantage is not as large. In some circumstances, the advantage is completely negated. However, those tools aren't distributed in equal measure to all souls, so plenty of builds lack them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast